Thailand house of representatives approves same-sex marriage bill

webfact

11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Great, now we don't have to listen to the LGBTQers complain anymore.

Whatever will they complain about now?

There being no rainbow towels in all hotels. :giggle:

Edited by quake

11 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Proof there is nothing such as gay marriage really

Only equality before the law or irrational discrimination

And now we could consider the polygamous Gay marriage and call it Bath house.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, neeray said:

I read of a court case recently here in Canada (although it might have been USA) where the judge was confused and in order to make a ruling stated that he was mixed up on the he/she thing and determined the only sure way forward was to answer the question, "was she/he born with a vagina?". Understandably, gender modification can be confusing. No doubt Thailand will experience some "growing" pains should this legislation move forward.  (No, I don't have a link).

I don't think Canada has judges that dumb so must be the other place.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, quake said:

There being no rainbow towels in all hotels. :giggle:

While there is a true metaphorical beauty in a rainbow, the diversion of it is saddening.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Seems to be a bit of an obsession for you. I won’t ask which side is your preference, that makes me feel a bit sick.

The vagina, and its œcumenical value.

I know it makes you sick, sorry.

Edited by Ben Zioner

25 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s not the vagina that makes me sick….

Some other part of the female anatomy? But let's not divert this topic which is about Gay vote buying.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

While there is a true metaphorical beauty in a rainbow, the diversion of it is saddening.

I wish they had chosen something different.

Rainbows are for kids, Not adults.

They just stole it from the kids. :bah:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Bread and circuses, same as in the West. Gay marriage is a tiny issue (% of the population which is gay + the % of gays which will ever marry)  that pales in comparison to other serious problems. Giving the urban liberals gay marriage and weed shuts them up for a while.

• Agree 2

You all are going to have to wait till it squeaks by the Senate, before you're dancing in the streets.

You might be setting yourself up for yet another disappointing time.   Hang in there, sooner or later, you'll all be able to be just as miserable as the divorced cis folks.   

Damned if you do, if you do get the right, damned if you don't ... but you'll always have something to complain about.   See, there's always a bright side to what ever the vote is.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

These rights encompass government-endorsed medical treatment, tax deductions, approval rights for spouse’s medical treatment, asset management and inheritance, child adoption, and funeral organising rights for spouses.

But will the Marriage be registered with the Amphur with a normal Marriage Cert. Will Falang be able to get a Marriage visa/extension??   

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

But will the Marriage be registered with the Amphur with a normal Marriage Cert. Will Falang be able to get a Marriage visa/extension??   

We shall see. There are always further hoops to be negotiated ... Legislation passed & royally approved is one thing, visiting your local friendly amphur is another.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“We did this for all Thai people to reduce disparity in society and start creating equality.”

Up next:

Thailand House of Representatives voices concern over precipitous drop in Thai birth rates

• Confused 1

Joking comment:

I approve.

Why do only normal people have to pay the consequences of divorce?

Serious comment:

I approve all forms of relationships.

The important thing is that no political and ideological propaganda, especially to children, is made to favor these kinds of unions at the expense of relationships between women and men (re-joking: women and man).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, waders123 said:

Until same-sex marriage is officially announced as being legal in the Gazette, it is only an idea. Legalizing same-sex marriages should have happened 15-20 years ago; Thailand could have been benefiting all these years from the influx of money and set the standard as the preferred destination for the LGBTQ+ community in Southeast Asia.  It's not too late to turn this around and capitalize on it before neighboring countries legalize same-sex marriages and start aggressively vying for the "Gay dollar."

Blimey, and many on here are quick to criticize the Thais for being money obsessed…

In response to your specific comments, as the article notes only Taiwan and Nepal have taken this step so far, so not sure how Thailand has lost ground on this issue.

I would have thought that Thailand would have been seen as a pretty welcoming and tolerant destination for LGBTQ+ for a long time already?

A brief Google indicates lots of potential legal/rights/societal challenges (and I don’t mean just not being able to marry) for LGBTQ+ across most of SEAsia and Asia, I didn’t bother checking Malaysia and Indonesia for obvious reasons….

Anyway, a decision to be applauded and let’s hope the Senate dinosaurs don’t block it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

We did this for all Thai people to reduce disparity in society and start creating equality.”

If we are talking equality, why did they just mention 'Thai people?'

• Confused 1