Barred from Europe: 2.4m Brits caught in post-Brexit passport chaos

Social Media

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I understood that certainly until recently, you could have a limited time "added" to your passport if you renewed it a few months early, so that technically when issued it would be valid for 10 years and a few months.

I am surprised that there are 2.4 million British passport holders at present whose passports are over 10 years old, and in the last months of this "extra validity!"

It does sound like more "the sky is falling in due to Brexit bull" - but then I saw it was The Independent!

_90075601_nintchdbpict0002471139611.jpgIf you are daft enough to book a flight or trip without checking your passport is valid...

wrong answer.

Edited by Peterphuket
wrong answer
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, candide said:

As usual, trying to divert the attention to the only major country economy which fares worst than UK!

Oh wait!

Shame then that it happens to be the biggest economy in the EU.

By some distance.

image.png.6c3f1d9708b1860e7847411b89b89b35.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, candide said:

As usual, trying to divert the attention to the only major country economy which fares worst than UK!

Oh wait!

Double post...

Edited by JonnyF

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

More anti-brexit propaganda - they are NOT barred from Europe, they just need to change their passport

Big drama:cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Exactly what suffering has "brexit"  caused to british expats living here ?  Speaking for my self absolutely none whatsoever

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

A 20% reduction in disposable income was a pretty significant thing for me to suffer, personally.

Maybe it didn't impact your life, though. Maybe you're one of the wealthy who can afford Brexit.

Brexit occurred February 1st 2020 when the exchange rate for the Thai baht was 40.7 (apprx). Today it's 46.02 (apprx). That's a 13% increase in the exchange rate. Are some people getting a really poor exchange rate that leaves them 20% worse off?  

What is true is the rate of inflation in Thailand which I accept has devalued our purchasing power here. I'm struggling to see what effect Brexit had in Thailand. 

Edited by DaLa
incorrect terminology
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Brexit occurred February 1st 2020 when the exchange rate for the Thai baht was 40.7 (apprx). Today it's 46.02 (apprx). That's a 13% increase in the exchange rate. Are brexiteers getting a really poor exchange rate that leaves them 20% worse off?  

What is true is the rate of inflation in Thailand which I accept has devalued our purchasing power here. I'm struggling to see what effect Brexit had in Thailand. 

Lol! The BP crashed after the referendum, not after the official leave date!

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Shame then that it happens to be the biggest economy in the EU.

By some distance.

image.png.6c3f1d9708b1860e7847411b89b89b35.png

Right. It has already affected the GDP growth rates of other countries. Including UK, it seems, as the GDP growth rates of the two countries have been similar in 2023.

I'm not moaning. I'm simply answering the question you asked, and offered a theory as to why it may not have affected you.

I am more than happy to honour your request to not bother telling you how, but anybody who receives their income in GBP should be able to work it out for themselves, anyway.

Not forgetting the drop, higher percentage, in the pound between 2006 and Brexit. That coincided with 13 new members being admitted to EU. 12 of which became the bottom 12 on the table of GDP and economic balance. Also the 12 lowest donors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, candide said:

Lol! The BP crashed after the referendum, not after the official leave date!

So that would be an 11% 'crash' and a 13% gain since Brexit. Think positively. I do , that's how I run an international export/import business. I work around problems rather than finding them.

By the way 37 baht to the £ was great for business and great for my customers in the UK.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A 20% reduction in disposable income was a pretty significant thing for me to suffer, personally.

Maybe it didn't impact your life, though. Maybe you're one of the wealthy who can afford Brexit.

well it didn't affect me so much because 20% of very little is itself very little,      your comment indicates  20% for you was a significant amount, therefore  suggesting you are in fact one of the wealthy,  or at least considerably wealthier than me.  Either way you are wasting your time if you are expecting sympathy from me 

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, it did devalue initially. Much of that was due to people believing Project Fear.

Currencies and commodities vary constantly and it's seldom due to financial performance. Just a few carefully chosen words uttered by the right people can cause huge swings in value.   Those remoaners bemoaning any loss of value of the pound would do well to look at project fear and the constant negative propaganda that was spewed out during the lead up to the referendum, and which continues to this day.  A crash was inevitable, had there been a positive spin put on the whole thing instead, the results could well have been totally the opposite

24 minutes ago, DaLa said:

So that would be an 11% 'crash' and a 13% gain since Brexit. Think positively. I do , that's how I run an international export/import business. I work around problems rather than finding them.

By the way 37 baht to the £ was great for business and great for my customers in the UK.

The current rate may increase or decrease....

A retrospective look confirms the GPB rate has been lower than the pre-referendum rate for most of the last seven years.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y

Screenshot_20240329_135400_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Any good news regarding the effects of Brexit, is typically downplayed, and actually resented by the remoaners, They actually want the UK to suffer in any way possible so they can play the "told you so " Card   They are actually the willing architects of their own disaster, a negative attitude to anything will result in only failure. What do they expect?    Talk about cutting ones nose off to spite ones face

We are out and we are staying out, they need to get over themselves and stop the childish sulking

You wouldn't happen to have a list of benefits of leaving would you? I mean in real terms, not ideological terms. Taking back control? Bwahahahahaha.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, candide said:

The current rate may increase or decrease....

A retrospective look confirms the GPB rate has been lower than the pre-referendum rate for most of the last seven years.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y

2024-03-29.png.23e24b938ce1e40046e5d485039264f2.png

so nothing to do with the fluctuation of the Baht then   strangely the dollar performed in a similar way against the baht

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

You wouldn't happen to have a list of benefits of leaving would you? I mean in real terms, not ideological terms. Taking back control? Bwahahahahaha.

We have got our  blue British  passports back , people no longer think that we are foreigners when we go abroad 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

so nothing to do with the fluctuation of the Baht then   strangely the dollar performed in a similar way against the baht

Good comment.

It would be more relevant to compare with the Euro.

Screenshot_20240329_141507_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Any good news regarding the effects of Brexit, is typically downplayed, and actually resented by the remoaners, They actually want the UK to suffer in any way possible so they can play the "told you so " Card   They are actually the willing architects of their own disaster, a negative attitude to anything will result in only failure. What do they expect?    Talk about cutting ones nose off to spite ones face

We are out and we are staying out, they need to get over themselves and stop the childish sulking

The good news being....?

Here's a thought on the subject seeing as we are picking dates to suit the rhetoric on the effect of 1 event.

In December 1971 the £ was trading at $2.43. We joined the EU in January 1972 and from then until the UK left the organisation the £ sterling really did plummet , halved in value to £1.27.

What does that say regarding  the membership of the EU?  Apply the same logic please.

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

This has been the case for years,  since we left the EU.  and its certainly not the first article on this matter.   there is no "timing" that could not be worse,  One can either accept the situation, inform oneself of the requirements and carry on relatively unhindered, Or  refuse to accept the situation and spend the rest of ones pathetic lives  suffering the consequences, and wasting ones time posting boring comments such as "another  brexit bonus" etc on forums like this,  which after all will not change anything.   Exactly what suffering has "brexit"  caused to british expats living here ?  Speaking for my self absolutely none whatsoever

Have you ever looked at the exchange rate 

Yes currency fluctuations are indeed influenced by many contributary factors.

However a 20% drop is not a fluctuation, especially if there's no immediate bounce back. A 20% drop is a crash. And while these can be caused by a combination of many factors, the crash that followed the referendum happened as a direct consequence of the referendum's result. There were no other influences.

The weakening of the Pound was good for the U.K economy , the Pound was over valued at the time and needed to drop .

27 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Here's a thought on the subject seeing as we are picking dates to suit the rhetoric on the effect of 1 event.

In December 1971 the £ was trading at $2.43. We joined the EU in January 1972 and from then until the UK left the organisation the £ sterling really did plummet , halved in value to £1.27.

What does that say regarding  the membership of the EU?  Apply the same logic please.

And the reasons are well known, just like the reasons for the decrease in 2016 are well known.

There are also macro-trends (this macro-trend is not restricted to UK, to be honest).

Screenshot_20240329_145426_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

At least the Brits can still afford to go on holiday. 

Unlike the Germans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/03/24/germanys-moribund-economy-faces-years-of-stagnation/

Brexit doesn't seem to be going too well for the Germans. Perhaps they should have offered us a sensible deal to stay? 

So you're attributing Germany's current economic problems to Brexit? 

Any evidence to support that claim? You know something like the German equivalent of the OBR report which estimated that Brexit cost the UK 4% of GDP in 2021? No? Thought not 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The weakening of the Pound was good for the U.K economy , the Pound was over valued at the time and needed to drop .

Whether the pound was over valued at the time of the referendum is debatable but, as JayClay points out, an overnight fall in the value of sterling of 20% is not a correction, it is a collapse. This was solely attributable to the decision to leave the EU.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

So you're attributing Germany's current economic problems to Brexit? 

Not solely, but it has added to their mounting problems. 

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

Any evidence to support that claim? You know something like the German equivalent of the OBR report which estimated that Brexit cost the UK 4% of GDP in 2021? No? Thought not 

Maybe ask the German finance minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67105143

image.png.1d54b8bc9f2903ba47f64fd986e67c0b.png

Sounds like they're wishing they'd offered us a better deal when Cameron asked for one, instead of treating us like the dumb Uncle that could be tapped up for some cash as and when required, and then ignored. 

Ah well, too late now. Thankfully.

56 minutes ago, DaLa said:

The EU's membership has grown during the period you quote and the Euro didn't come into existence until 1999, so a direct comparison is impossible. 

I don't think that the following is a particularly useful comparison but the dollar/mark exchange rate remained relatively stable over the period in question while the (French) franc trended downwards.

The headline is extremely misleading.

There are 2.4million UK citizens with passports that are more than 10 years old.

How many have already applied for a new one?

How many have less than 6 months vadility so can travel anyway?

How many are actually considering travelling to an EU country?

How many have kept up with the rules and actually know they can't travel to an EU country until they get a new passport.

There is no chaos.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1