Barred from Europe: 2.4m Brits caught in post-Brexit passport chaos

Social Media

the passport is only valid for 10 years from date of issue for travel to EU, so if travelling after that 10 years you have lucked out for EU travel, mine was issued in Aug 2014, but expires in May 2025

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

As the Easter holidays approach, millions of British travelers are facing unprecedented challenges due to post-Brexit passport chaos. With the European Union (EU) refusing to recognize passports over 10 years old, an estimated 2.4 million Britons find themselves unable to enter EU countries, leading to widespread disruption and disappointment among holidaymakers.

The root of this issue lies in the change of passport validity requirements following Britain's departure from the EU. Under the new rules, British passports must have an issue date of less than 10 years old on the day of departure to the EU, with at least three months left before expiry upon intended return. However, many passports issued prior to September 2018 have longer validity periods, causing confusion and frustration among travelers.

This change categorizes British travelers as "third country nationals," akin to nations like Venezuela and Samoa, subjecting them to different expiry rules than when the UK was an EU member state. Consequently, numerous Britons are being turned away at airports, ferries, and trains bound for Europe, despite having previously traveled to EU countries using the same passport.

The timing of these passport restrictions couldn't be worse, coinciding with the busy Easter holiday period when an estimated 6.4 million trips are expected from the UK to Europe. This surge in travel exacerbates the impact of the passport chaos, leading to significant disruption for holidaymakers looking forward to Easter getaways.

The situation is further compounded by the confusion surrounding the passport validity rules. Many travelers, unaware of the changes, mistakenly believe they have more time on their passports than they actually do. As a result, individuals like Ruth Wade, who was turned away from her flight due to her passport exceeding the 10-year limit by a matter of days, find themselves stranded and facing financial losses.

The repercussions of this passport chaos extend beyond individual travelers, affecting airports, airlines, and travel businesses. Airports such as Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Bristol anticipate record levels of traffic, with millions of passengers expected to fly to EU destinations over the Easter weekend.

In the face of this unprecedented challenge, airlines stress the importance of passengers ensuring compliance with immigration rules, emphasizing that it is the traveler's responsibility to meet entry requirements. However, travel insurers are unlikely to cover losses related to passport validity issues, leaving affected individuals to bear the financial burden of rebooking flights and rearranging travel plans.

Overall, the post-Brexit passport chaos highlights the complexities and challenges of navigating travel regulations in a rapidly changing geopolitical landscape. As millions of Britons grapple with disrupted holiday plans, the need for clarity and consistency in passport requirements becomes increasingly evident to ensure smooth and seamless travel experiences.

Source

image.png

Ask Sunak to join EU as soon as possible. Lord Cameron will be delighted 🤗

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I understood that certainly until recently, you could have a limited time "added" to your passport if you renewed it a few months early, so that technically when issued it would be valid for 10 years and a few months.

I am surprised that there are 2.4 million British passport holders at present whose passports are over 10 years old, and in the last months of this "extra validity!"

It does sound like more "the sky is falling in due to Brexit bull" - but then I saw it was The Independent!

_90075601_nintchdbpict0002471139611.jpgIf you are daft enough to book a flight or trip without checking your passport is valid...

Before I retired to Thailand I had 18 months left on my old Passport. I renewed it and got 10 years and 9 months!!!! Gotta new 10 year one now though, not that I have any thoughts on going to Europe anytime soon!!!!5555

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

More anti-brexit propaganda - they are NOT barred from Europe, they just need to change their passport

To be "barred" is to be "blocked" from entrance.

So yes, without proper passports Brits are barred.

Maybe you meant "banned" which Brits are not as there is a means of entry, ie., with a proper passport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Checked my wifes passport (I've got the new "blue" [actually more black] one) - issued march 2015, expires June 2025. So - need to get a new one before March next year but otherswise she's safe to return to Europe.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The headline should really read "A few Brits forgot to renew their passports" 😃.

Not a big deal, compared to what the Germans are experiencing post Brexit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/22/world/europe/germany-strikes-economy.html

image.png.45b40b4893a510c9dd868500a3288160.png

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

At least the Brits can still afford to go on holiday. 

Unlike the Germans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/03/24/germanys-moribund-economy-faces-years-of-stagnation/

Brexit doesn't seem to be going too well for the Germans. Perhaps they should have offered us a sensible deal to stay? 

As usual, trying to divert the attention to the only major country economy which fares worst than UK!

Oh wait! 😃

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

71539658-dcc3-44af-8fd0-b83321f5a592.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1