Bangkok Bank Debit Card Expired

I am returning to Thailand for the first time since February 2020 when I left for my home country due to the pandemic. I just realized that my Bangkok Bank debit card is expired and I don’t have ATM access to my account and I am arriving from Singapore today.

With my passport, expired debit card and my Bank Book will I be able to go to any branch to get a new card or get access to my funds or will I need to go to my original branch where I opened the account?

To make matters worse my retirement visa also expired during the pandemic.

Thanks again.

I wasn’t  planning on being back to Bangkok for 2 weeks .

Don’t like using my home country debit card, when I already have money at Bangkok Bank.

Going to try the Bangkok Bank Branch on Beach Road in Pattaya on Monday.

If your passport number changed, bring old and new passport to the bank branch you opened account at. That makes it the easiest. Don't forget your bank book also.

Once passport is updated, you can get ATM card at any branch. If staff is kind you can actually update passport at any branch if you have old one with you as well, else they send you to branch you opened account at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Almost a year ago, I did the same at K-Bank with a new passport and expired debit card.  It went smoothly, but it took almost 2 hours, and that after waiting 30 minutes in the queue.

I hope my experience was "special", but I'd suggest carving out a good block of time.  Especially if the OP is American, with our KYC requirements.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Don't want to hijack or start a new thread....but......does anyone have/use a BKK bank credit card? 

Do they serve any purpose?

To use their debit card you need have the money in your account.

As far as I have been able to ascertain the credit balance on the credit card must be backed up by the equivalent balance in your account.

I see no real difference between them on  a day to day basis.

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Don't want to hijack or start a new thread....but......does anyone have/use a BKK bank credit card? 

Do they serve any purpose?

Yes, i've had one a while now.

You always need to have in your a/c double the amount of your limit eg 100K limit, balance cannot fall below 200K

This is without a WP, with a WP i believe it works like a normal CC without the balance criteria.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

I don't know about Thailand, but it was almost impossible in the USA to rent a car with a debit card, even with a very healthy balance.

When I checked into Bumrungrad for my bypass, they asked for a credit card to guaranty payment and would not accept a debit card.  That was before my insurance (European company, time zone thing) verified my cover and my employer sent someone to the hospital to guarantee payment on top of that.

If I were you, based on my personal experience, I would call the Bangkok Bank call center 1333 and confirm everything with an agent and get their name and the date and time of the conversation, the basic CYA.   The call center wait time is reasonable, and they speak excellent English.

The reason I say this is because my debit card got canceled because I inputted the PIN correctly 3 times at a store.  Unknown to me I had a 5,000 THB limit on the card and the card was declined 3 times, automatically canceling the card.  The call center told me I could go to any branch.  So I went to a more convenient branch in a smaller shopping center and the lady told me I had to go to my original branch.   We went back and forth for about 30 minutes, I kept saying the call center told me I could go to any branch and I wasn't going to leave and go somewhere else.  Finally, when she realized I wasn't leaving and I threatened to call the call center, she then took another 1.5 hours filling out paperwork and making my life miserable, probably on purpose. 

For clarification, this was a Monday morning in Phuket.

The other thing is to make sure your limit on the debit card fits your needs.   I think I upped it to 20,000 but you can go higher. 

I hope this helps.  Be curious about how it all pans out for you.  Please update us.  Thanks.  

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know about Thailand, but it was almost impossible in the USA to rent a car with a debit card, even with a very healthy balance.

Correct.  I showed my debit card to a rent-a-car company in California and they said they couldn't take it because my name wasn't imprinted on it.   They give debit cards here on the spot, whereas in the USA you usually have to wait 7-10 days to get one with your name imprinted on it.

20 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

To use their debit card you need have the money in your account.

As far as I have been able to ascertain the credit balance on the credit card must be backed up by the equivalent balance in your account.

I have two credit cards (Bkk bank and K bank)... neither are secured by a deposit into an account.

22 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Correct.  I showed my debit card to a rent-a-car company in California and they said they couldn't take it because my name wasn't imprinted on it.   They give debit cards here on the spot, whereas in the USA you usually have to wait 7-10 days to get one with your name imprinted on it.

My BKK Band debit card has my name on it.

23 hours ago, expat1010 said:

I am returning to Thailand for the first time since February 2020 when I left for my home country due to the pandemic. I just realized that my Bangkok Bank debit card is expired and I don’t have ATM access to my account and I am arriving from Singapore today.

With my passport, expired debit card and my Bank Book will I be able to go to any branch to get a new card or get access to my funds or will I need to go to my original branch where I opened the account?

To make matters worse my retirement visa also expired during the pandemic.

IMO yes.

22 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Hum, I've had an account for 9 years and never had my name on the debit card.   Do you have a special account?  My account is just a regular savings account.

Be1st Digital Debit card.

Bkk Bank launch them in 2022.

"Apart from the convenience of making an online application and being able to instantly use the Be1st Digital debit card, a physical debit card attached to the digital card account is also available. The physical EMV Chip card has a contactless function and doesn’t show the debit card information such as CVC/CVN or expiry date for enhanced security. Only the cardholder’s name and last name appear on the card."

www.bangkokbank.com/en/

Edited by Ralf001

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Be1st Digital Debit card.

Bkk Bank launch them in 2022.

“The Be1st Digital debit card is aimed at the young generation, first jobbers and customers who enjoy a digital lifestyle -- I guess not me.  😅

Seriously, I read the article and looked at my mobile app but couldn't find anywhere to apply for the digital debit card.  I think foreigners need to apply in person like I did when I got a replacement card for my canceled debit card.   It wasn't offered to me when I went in to get the replacement, about 2 months ago.

I only use it as an ATM and for things like Lazada, grocery stores, and Homepro when I don't have the cash.   I"m a cash & carry kind of person.  I have a USA credit card and debit card for serious online shopping. 

I only showed the rent a car company in California my debit card because it was Union Pay and I was seriously pissed they changed from Visa to Union Pay.  I kept telling the bank that No One in the USA accepts Union Pay (at least back then)   Now you can get a Mastercard Debit card from BKK bank.

Anyway, thanks for the information.  Next time I go to the bank, which will be in 11.5 months from now when I renew my visa, I'll ask them about the debit card with my name on it.  Better security.

You guys have a nice evening.

PS.  I do use the mobile app to pay PEA and water bills.  So I'm not that old fashion.  😁

Edited by LivingNThailand

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I have two credit cards (Bkk bank and K bank)... neither are secured by a deposit into an account.

Would like to hear more about how you managed to do that. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Seriously, I read the article and looked at my mobile app but couldn't find anywhere to apply for the digital debit card.  

I do not do mobile banking.

BKK bank offered me the account when I went in to replace expired card on a different account.

1 minute ago, Des1 said:

Would like to hear more about how you managed to do that. Thanks!

I applied and they supplied, Had to provide copies of 6 months of pay slips and work permit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I applied and they supplied, Had to provide copies of 6 months of pay slips and work permit.

There you go.  Not available to old senile retirees. :1zgarz5:  who knows how to use mobile banking, by the way.  thanks for the info.

I tried updating my Bangkok Bank card at a Pattaya mall branch but they told me to go back to the branch I opened my account at, which was in Bangkok. So I did that. Wasn't a big problem not having my old passport with me.

Whereas with SCB, I could get my new card from any branch I wanted to. Besides, the branch I opened my account with no longer exists and so they transferred my account to a new branch nearby. I chose to go into a mall I'm more familiar with and no issues whatsever getting a new bank card. 

2 banks with a totally different policy. 

1 minute ago, Highlandman said:

I tried updating my Bangkok Bank card at a Pattaya mall branch but they told me to go back to the branch I opened my account at, which was in Bangkok.

BKK Bank Call center says no problem to get new debit card at ANY branch.   Branch says no, cannot.  So I refused to go to my original branch and teller made my life difficult.    Great Bank.  I'd change, but Social Security has an agreement with BKK Bank for deposits and to start all over with new bank after all this time would be a pain as the requirements to open a new account have changed dramatically.  So I put up with crappy service.     If I were to start all over I would have another account with K bank for regular banking.  But back then they didn't have the convenient mobile banking and internet banking they do now to transfer funds.   

Not going to lose any sleep, I only have to deal with them once in a while.

So I hope the original poster has his ammunition when he goes into the BKK Bank to get debit card.  Chok Di.

38 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Had to provide copies of 6 months of pay slips and work permit.

As said - CC available with work permit (if you meet income requirements) - without work permit debit card or secured CC are the options.

• Agree 1