Best way to clone the SSD from old computer to new computer with an M.2 Samsung Drive?

On 3/31/2024 at 3:51 PM, Thaijack2014 said:

First of all, if you have never worked with Linux and all the variants, just don't bother.

Over 25 years, already.

But, who really cares...because...

I do not.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, BigStar said:

Ah. You login to google drive etc. on google.com.

Unfortunately it happens that google doesn't automatically upload all your data from your PC. Not surprisingly, if you didn't upload it, then it won't be there all safe and sound when your drive crashes.

The other issue, you see, is that serious computer users often have much more data than the measly 15 GB google gives you for free on Google drive. So actually they'd ALSO have to pay for more space, as you noted. But then it seems you're limited to 2 TB? Many people have more than that. I have 6 TB of data, for example.

As it turns out, just having your password [to a Google account], not necessarily Chrome, and are using Gmail, then your Gmail is stored there, unless you've exceeded your space limit. But not much else without conscious effort and payments. If you're using Chrome, Google will love to backup your bookmarks and browsing data and sync them to Chrome on other devices.

I think we can just state the general principle that you'll lose data when it's deleted, erased, or otherwise becomes inaccessible if you don't have it backed up SOMEWHERE.

I must have made a mistake. I have 200 GB space on my Google Drive. And yes, you're right, not everything is done automatically (which is fine in my opinion). I keep most of my files on that drive and like I said, I don't need to worry to buy a new laptop, phone or whatever device. As long as I can access my google account, I can access my data. I've done the same with my games. Only buy games on Steam and with every new pc, I still can access them and re-install them.

4 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I've done the same with my games. Only buy games on Steam and with every new pc, I still can access them and re-install them.

A game isn't data, but a program, so not the same thing at all. 

The data would be your save game files, which some gamers regard as quite important, and any mods you've downloaded and applied to the game.

That data isn't backed up anywhere unless you consciously do it yourself.

Nor is the actual installation of the games on your drive with mods applied. If you bothered to download a modpack with 1000 mods and configured and applied them all to a game, you'd probably want to avoid going through that process again. Just sayin'. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 2:19 PM, BigStar said:

A game isn't data, but a program, so not the same thing at all. 

The data would be your save game files, which some gamers regard as quite important, and any mods you've downloaded and applied to the game.

That data isn't backed up anywhere unless you consciously do it yourself.

Nor is the actual installation of the games on your drive with mods applied. If you bothered to download a modpack with 1000 mods and configured and applied them all to a game, you'd probably want to avoid going through that process again. Just sayin'. 

Of course if you want to be picky. Games are data as well, just a different form. But what I mean to say is that data like games can be stored on an external server like google drive. My games from Steam are of course installed on my pc, but the save games are stored on a server. Whatever I do in a game on one PC is synchronized via Steam and I can continue playing where I left off on my laptop, after I played on my desktop. And if I get a new PC, I just install steam, log in and get the option to install my old games and can continue there where I stopped, without losing any data.

Other data like documents, photos, videos, music and films or even e-books can be stored on a server and are reachable from anywhere in the world on any device as long as you can log into your account.

If I lose my phone, I still can get nearly everything that I stored on that phone back. My emails, my contacts, phonebook anything that I have google automatically store in the cloud.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Games are data as well, just a different form.

Games are programs, and like all programs contain the data they require to run. So it isn't your data that you've created.

But what I mean to say is that data like games can be stored on an external server like google drive.

Games aren't data. You can upload your installed files, your extra mods, and your saved games to google drive, but you have to do so manually, not "automatically" by simply "using Chrome" as you claimed in your OP.🤣

So again, it's NOT a matter of just logging into Chrome and being assured your games, mods, & save game files that you created during your game play are saved AUTOMATICALLY as you were claiming. Try to get that straight.

the save games are stored on a server

But not automatically by Steam or anyone else. (I don't think you know what a saved game file is. It's NOT the game itself.) By you, manually, and NOT by just "logging into Chrome." Just logging into Chome saves any new Chrome settings you make. IF you use Gmail on the web, or IMAP, or don't download via a POP email client, then your gmail messages are stored on Gmail's servers UNLESS you run out of space. You always ignore that point and fail to mention that you have to PAY for extra space.

And that's ALL you get by just logging into Chrome on your PC. Any other data, you save manually SOMEWHERE, and you even pay to do so.

Nor do you need Chrome to login to Google drive.

And if I get a new PC, I just install steam, log in and get the option to install my old games and can continue there where I stopped, without losing any data.

Steam does NOT store your saved games on its servers. It saves them on your own PC, often in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Userdata. If you back them up MANUALLY somewhere, NOT by just "using Chrome," then obviously they're wherever that is. But I don't you do, as you don't know what they are, exactly.

Other data like documents, photos, videos, music and films or even e-books can be stored on a server and are reachable from anywhere in the world on any device as long as you can log into your account.

IF you've stored them there yourself. And you can login via any browser.

If I lose my phone, I still can get nearly everything that I stored on that phone back.

If you lose your iPhone, you're not going to get anything back from your Google drive except what you've manually stored there. iPhone doesn't automatically backup to Google, and Chrome isn't going to help you.

My emails, my contacts, phonebook anything that I have google automatically store in the cloud.

Not if you're using an iPhone, you don't. As for Gmail, you'll eventually run out of space unless you pay for more space. So that's not really "you're safe long as you use Chrome."

Moreover, on an Android phone, the backing up isn't because you're using Chrome. The Google Android apps do the backing up of a few kinds of data, e.g., photos.

Enough with the cluelessness.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2024 at 12:18 PM, BigStar said:

But not automatically by Steam or anyone else.

I'll have to walk this back, as Steam will automatically store saved games for you. But not for all games, and there's a usual space limit of 1 gb per game. It's not a lot for a big game.

Not all games are Steam games, and many notable games, such as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, pre-date their Steam debut.

Me, I have plenty of disk space, and do regular backups on other disks, so I don't worry about limits. And I only play on my main desktop. If I wanted to play on my spare desktop, I'd just manually synch. Never had a need for a gaming laptop. Can't imagine playing on a phone. I leave that to you hipsters.

Still, that's Steam, w/i limitations. It's really not just "using Chrome."