Why do super markets insist on re stocking shelves during the day?

Asquith Production

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So you added to it with your own Thai bash ??? Hmmmmm…. 

Oh My Buddha Richard.    

Normally I find your posts reasonably measured and balanced...

It is not a bash.    It is my own experience and observations.  

RUOK?

Edited by G Rex

3 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

It is annoying especially when the staff don’t care if the customer is trying to get passed. Worse one is when the isle is blocked off completely with tape while a forklift is in use. 

"... when the isle is blocked off completely with tape while a forklift is in use."

For your safety and removed as quickly as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/1/2024 at 4:22 AM, Photoguy21 said:

They restock when the items on the shelves are getting low. I doubt if it is to annoy you.

It's a bonus if they are doing it to annoy the annoying.
Thais have a work/home life.  If the OP wants to live in a western hellhole, he's welcome to live in that western hellhole.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:18 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I worked in retail to help pay my way thru college....

We always did all the major restocking and maintenance/cleaning at night...after midnight until the early morning hours, because that was the time of the lowest traffic volume in a 24-hour market operation, and the work could be done most efficiently without annoying or interfering with paying customers...

But hey, that was just a worldwide multi-billions of dollars retail market operation. What did we know....

If that was so great, and Thailand is such <deleted>e, why not return?  Certainly the opportunity to shop at your convenience, like nothing else in the world matters, is superior to your life in Thailand.
Perhaps the entire world doesn't run on the capitalistic hell that you're clamoring for.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:09 PM, Asquith Production said:

It does not seem to matter what time of day I go in their is always someone stocking shelves and causing a blockage.

Whinge of the day. Chalk it up to one o' them "mysteries of the Orient," without which the Orient wouldn't be the Orient. Then move on to something worth thinking about. 

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Whinge of the day. Chalk it up to one o' them "mysteries of the Orient," without which the Orient wouldn't be the Orient. Then move on to something worth thinking about. 

I will pass on your remarks to  my neighbour for when he goes shopping in his wheelchair

13 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

The guy is giving his experience and giving content to this thread which he should be allowed to do without someone forcing his narrative on them which many on here try to do. It's always go back to your country pathetic 

Yet his last comment did exactly that, as if the western hellholes of capitalism are something to strive for.

2 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I will pass on your remarks to  my neighbour for when he goes shopping in his wheelchair

Aw, virtue signaling after a complete "all about me" post.
So sorry you can't figure out how to navigate a country where you choose to live.
The worst of westerners seem to make it all about them; that would be you.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Do that. And let him know that he may shop in other areas of the store and return later to area in question. Or if it's an urgent need for, say, toilet paper, he may request staff to fetch him a few rolls. Sorted!

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Now you try a diversion. 

I also use a (compact) wheelchair on some days when my back pain is severe, but I don't expect that life should be structured / re-arranged to suit me. 

Are you expecting supermarkets should be set up / operated for every person / situation? 

In fact when I do use my chair I can still easily do my shopping with little difficulty. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Maybe, but at least they are mostly polite and allow access. A load of goods is not so obliging

Are you saying that supermarket staff / shelf repackers are not polite? And don't allow access to shoppers? Both items are untrue.

Yes at one wholesale supermarket occasionally an aisle is taped off and there's a forklift in operation.

And the forklift will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

Life ain't perfect. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Are you saying that supermarket staff / shelf repackers are not polite? And don't allow access to shoppers? Both items are untrue.

Yes at one wholesale supermarket occasionally an aisle is taped off and there's a forklift in operation.

And the forklift will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

Life ain't perfect. 

No, read again

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Now you try a diversion. 

I also use a (compact) wheelchair on some days when my back pain is severe, but I don't expect that life should be structured / re-arranged to suit me. 

I believe all people should have access. It should be structured for everyone

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shetraveler said:

Aw, virtue signaling after a complete "all about me" post.
So sorry you can't figure out how to navigate a country where you choose to live.
The worst of westerners seem to make it all about them; that would be you.

Another person who likes to manipulate peoples words

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah... 'It would be too easy... and even dumba$$ stupid Thai's are incapable of doing easy things' ..... right ??????

It is this element of Thai-bashing that I'm trying to highlight in this thread - some of you guys are racist bigots, though you'd never admit it because you think you are making critical observations when really you are masked by a myopic bias. 

I don't care if it sounds racist to you. It is just plain nonsense. I don't care if its a Thai or anyone else doing this it's idiotic. 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:57 PM, it is what it is said:

In other countries they have staff to resupply when the shop is closed.

not true, in the uk supermarket shelves are re-stocked during shop open hours

try not to see criticism through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

Stirring the pot!

I assume top portion " other country "  yet you respond no true in the UK "

You see what is wrong here!

I dont know the cost but I would assume if a company regardless of country if they had a shift 10-6am to stock the cost would certainly be there.

I would imagine  U.S. companies like

Costco, Home Deport. Lowes, do stocking at night. I dont see them closing aisle forklifting pallets like Makro.

First hand, my brother Thai son use to work at Lotus his shift wss grave yard stocking.

First hand. My Thai son work for M, he wad assigned one or two aisle two person team their job order and restock those aisle truck deliver was during the day. The two shift he worked was like 5-5. 12-10, my daughter in law also worked at M, same shifts oncr in a while she was shifted to grave yard whenever the boss wanted to rearrange a section.

My son also worked DIY. delivery came on Wed, no grave yard shift all stocking done during both shifts.

• Thumbs Up 1

try not to see criticism through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

Stirring the pot!

I dont know the cost but I would assume if a company regardless of country if they had a shift 10-6am to stock the cost would certainly be there.

Costco, Home Deport. Lowes, do stocking at night. I dont see them closing aisle forklifting pallets like Makro.

First hand, my brother Thai son use to work at Lotus his shift wss grave yard stocking.

First hand. My Thai son work for M, he wad assigned one or two aisle two person team their job order and restock those aisle truck deliver was during the day. The two shift he worked was like 5-5. 12-10, my daughter in law also worked at M, same shifts oncr in a while she was shifted to grave yard whenever the boss wanted to rearrange a section.

My son also worked DIY. delivery came on Wed, no grave yard shift all stocking done during both shifts.

Stirring the pot!

On 4/1/2024 at 3:09 PM, Asquith Production said:

It does not seem to matter what time of day I go in their is always someone stocking shelves and causing a blockage.

That doesn't bother me too much, it's the method of restocking that I don't like, a lot of them put the new stock in front of (or on top) the old, and it's not limited to supermarkets either, when I bought some boxes of beer in my local wholesaler the front stacks were all dated within 1 month, the stacks behind were over 6 months old, didn't like it when I insisted that I was supplied from the front stacks only.

43 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

That doesn't bother me too much, it's the method of restocking that I don't like, a lot of them put the new stock in front of (or on top) the old, and it's not limited to supermarkets either, when I bought some boxes of beer in my local wholesaler the front stacks were all dated within 1 month, the stacks behind were over 6 months old, didn't like it when I insisted that I was supplied from the front stacks only.

That can happen, there's lazy folks everywhere.

I am aware that at least 2 major supermarket operators in Thailand have policy that older stock must be at the front. 

There's a number of points with this:

- Shops want to recoup their total costs of selling and they want to do this quickly so they want their ongoing auto. sales / stock analysis* to reveal that older stock leaves the shelf first, and their auto. analysis does auto. flag if the sequence is out of order. And there will be some investigation 'what's going on here?'

• * supermarkets, department stores, all selling / business activity is analysed to death nowadays and that analysis reveals many interesting points, all valuable in operating successful business.
  •  

- Shops don't want to risk stock being 'past use by date' which brings more selling administration which costs money.

-And there's more... 

Edited by scorecard

22 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Everything is bigger in Asia.  Supermarkets here just aren't designed for giant Farang with huge penises jutting out into the isles.  Don't turn sideways. 👍

Lots of them must be sporting monsters.... only to way get the end wet given the size of their beer filled stomachs !

21 hours ago, Retfed50 said:

Actually, the problem is they don't restock th shelves. Just leave pallets and boxes of product in the aisles and keave them there so you csn't get to the shelves!

20240305_140328.jpg

Agreed when they do that it is annoying