Why do super markets insist on re stocking shelves during the day?

Asquith Production

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the UK I assume...  ????

And don't forget all the closed 'self check-outs' in some areas, because its been proven that people are a bunch of pikey thieves !!!! 

Now you mention it Tops just installed 4 of them last week and they assigned 2 members of staff to rigorously police me, even took the money from me inserted it then handed me the change after bagging my shopping ..Progress takes many forms here🤔

Edited by sammieuk1
s missing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Did you ever have a real problem? A papercut maybe?

You are doing great - not long ao people had to be hunter gatherers and didn't have people to tock the trees.

Glad you are able manoeuvre between obstacles , not so easy for some, especially in wheelchairs

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Its  not just shelf stocking that seems to be a daytime only activity

Are there any workers on the " important " constant roadworks that work during the night as not to disrupt traffic during the Day, or at least to minimize the disruption.

I think the introduction of night workers on these road works would speed the entire operation up no end

You've never seen night time road works in operation Thailand ????

In Bangkok, much of the road works are carried out at night to avoid congestion - the roads are then temporarily repaired (covered with metal plates, or huge concrete slabs) so that traffic flow can resume by morning rush-hour.

However, out on the highways, that may not be the case (perhaps due to poor lighting etc) or there being just less of a hurry.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:19 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Saves having a night shift.

If the supermarket is in a shopping mall, like the one I use, the mall is closed and locked over night. Restocking takes place between 08:00 and 10:30am, before the mall opens. Its one of the few common sense things you will find in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow!!!   So much vitriol and hate in this thread!   I read the first 3 pages....  aaagh

I agree with the OP.

I find the shopping experience in supermarkets in Thailand very different from in Australia or the US.

In other countries, the paying customer is boss, and staff generally do nothing that will hinder the customers from spending their money.

In Big C, TMK, Lotus & Makro - hordes of staff seem to gather in groups to discuss their favourite TikTok clips etc, while pretending to be working/restocking shelves etc. I am often made to feel that as a  customer I am annoying the staff and making their job/life difficult!

If you want to start a rant...  I hate that at TMK  after I have paid for my items - a staff member must check my bill against my purchases to make sure I have paid correctly.  In some cases the checking person has been standing at the checkout , or even assisted in loading up my trolly after scanning.    Talk about job creation schemes!

Phew, thank you , I feel better niow

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:23 PM, Asquith Production said:

High volume items yes.

Seems you know very little about the whole subject area.

-In modern supermarket operation everything on the shelves sells. The operators study much data before they add an item to the shelves, if it doesn't sell at an expected turnover it's deleted.

-Cost of operation is taken very seriously and that includes costs of salaries and benefits. Night shift operation causes increased costs, and it's therefore avoided. And the supermarket is not going to use an 'all night time re-stocking just to avoid a small inconvenience to customers.

-I guess you've noticed staff step aside very quickly if they see that a customer wants access to the shelf where they are working.

-During daytime there's many supervisors on duty (all areas of the operation and they can quickly fix any issues, regardless of reason. At night time there would to be supervisors on duty just to supervise shelf re-stacking - not doing a multi-function role. Increased costs. 

• Agree 2

they have to pay the staff ..  and surley don't want a night shift

so they make them stock the shelves during "working hours instead of standing around like lamposts gazing at their phones

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Seems you know very little about the whole subject area.

You are right I have never worked in retail but I have shopped in many supermarkets occasionally with wheelchair users. Access should be available as much as possible.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

You are right I have never worked in retail but I have shopped in many supermarkets occasionally with wheelchair users. Access should be available as much as possible.

- I forgot to mention cost of hundreds of lights in a night time operation.

- The biggest 'roadblock' in supermarkets for wheelchair users is probably other shoppers?

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, AustinRacing said:

It is annoying especially when the staff don’t care if the customer is trying to get passed. Worse one is when the isle is blocked off completely with tape while a forklift is in use. 

.......whilst in my wheelchair...................🥺

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

Around the chill area they  had eggs all emptied on the floor.

They'll soon learn eggs aren't chilled in supermarkets in Thailand and put them on the floor next to the correct shelf. 🙄

23 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

It's cost saving. Savings that can be passed onto customers.

In the UK, Lidl and Aldi stock up during the day. Look at their prices. Always lower than other supermarkets. The stores are always busy. It obviously is a business plan that works.

The busiest and most profitable supermarkets in the UK restock all day every day. And here we have a bunch of retail "experts" spouting about "Thai logic" and related drivel. You are making yourselves look so stupid its beyond belief. 

By the way, watch out for the new fashion hitting Thai supermarkets. Several previously 24 hour supermarkets are closing at night as they figure there's no profit ( fair enough ). They also can't get the staff. Some 7/elevens are closing overnight. I never thought I'd see that day.  

• Sad 1

There is a difference between restocking shelves during the day while blocking merchandise with ladders and huge boxes or even closing aisles in the supermarket during the process. I have seen stores abroad restock during the day unobtrusively. People are inconvenienced slightly. 

However, in Thailand it appears to me that store clerks and their duties are  more important than customer convenience  and revenue. If this is in fact the philosophy of Thai customer service, as guests here there is not much we can do.

However, we might also consider that when Lotus was Tesco-Lotus with a foreign partner, the practice of  blocking merchandise while customers shopped along with closing store aisles while restocking was regularly practiced. So perhaps this restocking process during the day is a better choice for Thailand rather than opening the store overnight. Perhaps there is a fear of theft and other criminal activity late at night if the store were to remain open..

All I know is that I have been kept from making purchases in supermarkets due to employees blocking my way more times than I can count. 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:34 PM, Asquith Production said:

You are right. But none the less it means goods in the aisle, sometimes waiting to be unloaded due to the lack of staff

So what ?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Plenty of road work is carried out at night. 

Perhaps not out in the countryside....   but in major cities that are incredibly busy in the day time and evenings major road works are carried out at night...

If you regularly drive around the city, particularly Bangkok, in the early hours (i.e. after 2am) you'll see those massive concrete slabs lifted out of the way for subterranean work to be carried out...   usually related to some form of either water works, or BTS / MRT line construction. 

Thanks for the update On Bangkok, buy if you DRIVE around here in Chon Buri, Pattaya in particularly it isn't happening at least enough for me to see.

Currently the area just off Hwy 7, Sukhumvit!

On 4/1/2024 at 3:09 PM, Asquith Production said:

Just returned from a well known supermarket chain after having to jump over and push past trollys loaded with goods and trays of eggs on the floor with staff cross legged alongside them. It makes shopping very difficult and  makes it impossible to look at or reach certain items.  It does not seem to matter what time of day I go in their is always someone stocking shelves and causing a blockage. In other countries they have staff to resupply when the shop is closed. I realise that some products need to be restocked during the day but today every aisle had someone in it and the ones that did not had products causing a blockage.

Because TIT night time is party time, it does not make sense just accept it