Why do super markets insist on re stocking shelves during the day?

Asquith Production

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

By your own admittance... You were a 'graveyard shelf stacker'....    so you clearly knew very little...  !!!

No, I was a graveyard shift cashier and supervisor by choice because, believe or not, that was the time that least interfered with my university class schedule back then.

But all of that has nothing to do with the remaining fact that the very large retailer I worked for purposefully did all of the major restocking in the quieter overnight hours... so as to not have it interfere with sales traffic during busier "regular" hours.

That obviously doesn't mean if we happened to run out of something during the day shifts that we'd ignore it. Of course not, someone would go to the back and retrieve some new stock.... But we wouldn't start piling up the aisles with cases and cases of product to be shelved during the normal shopping hours.

That's only common sense, at least, for some of us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkokhatter said:

i'd like to know how many supermarkets back home operate their Forklifts throughout the day at the busiest times, depositing pallets full of product along the aisles.

Just doesn't happen, H&S would have a baby.

It's true most restocking is done over night, stock required to be replaced during the day time is bought in, in smaller mobile cages that do not block aisles.

Supermarkets in UK don't have stock stacked high enough or in large enough quantities in store to warrant using a fork lift.

Wickes and B&Q certainly use fork lifts in store during opening times. All cordoned off with bleeping warning sounds. Just as they do in Makro in Thailand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, I was a graveyard shift cashier and supervisor by choice because, believe or not, that was the time that least interfered with my university class schedule.

But all of that has nothing to do with the remaining fact that the very large retailer I worked for purposefully did all of the major restocking in the quieter overnight hours... so as to not have it interfere with sales traffic during busier hours.

So because you were a graveyard shift cashier and supervisor (by choice) 30 or 40 years ago you were rewarded with outstanding insight into the operational model of global supermarkets in the 2020's ?????

Is it not just possible that Supermarkets in Thailand operate in a very similar manner to supermarkets everywhere else and re-stock and night and replenish throughout the day ?... or even simply re-stock through the night and day ?

Or... perhaps, the operational model varies depending on how busy that specific supermarket for that branch, chain and area....   and any negative observation made in this thread is Thai-bash so thinly veiled its transparent to anyone who can think for themselves rather than piggyback on the 'bash'....

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was a graveyard shift cashier and supervisor by choice

Poor management decision..... Surely with a username such as yours.....   TallGuyJohn...     you would have made an excellent shelf stacker avoiding the need for step ladders...... 

....  should they have given the other jobs to ShorterGuyFred and BossyGuySteve ???     :1zgarz5:

(yes... relax... just a pish-take)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Supermarkets in UK don't have stock stacked high enough or in large enough quantities in store to warrant using a fork lift.

Wickes and B&Q certainly use fork lifts in store during opening times. All cordoned off with bleeping warning sounds. Just as they do in Makro in Thailand.

The prior comment being responded to was:

"Never seen a forklift drop a pallet in the aisles, where does this happen ?" It wasn't a location limited comment.

And the answer was quick and obvious from several posters here -- Makro in Thailand for starters.

And yes, they do tend to cordon off the aisle and use large forklifts with "beeping" alerts.... But they're still closing off store aisles temporarily in the middle of the shopping day.... which seems not ideal.

I've also seen customers in Makro walk past the cordons set up and go shopping down the aisle where the forklift is moving heavy pallets -- something that would give OSHA a nightmare if Thailand had anything functionally resembling OSHA.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And yes, they do tend to cordon off the aisle and use fork lifts with "beeping" alerts.... But they're still closing off store aisles temporarily in the middle of the shopping day.... which seems not ideal.

Its better than the 7-11 fridge restocking... 

.... in my early years I had the living shyte frightened out of me on a couple of occasions as I reach in to grab a can of something and there is a moving hand in the fridge !!!   (as its being re-stocked from the back).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Never seen a forklift drop a pallet in the aisles, where does this happen ?"

And the answer was quick and obvious from several posters here -- Makro in Thailand for starters.

And yes, they do tend to cordon off the aisle and use fork lifts with "beeping" alerts.... But they're still closing off store aisles temporarily in the middle of the shopping day.... which seems not ideal.

What you have described here is what I see a lot in the UK when I'm there. 

Not with fork lift trucks, but with Pallet Jacks.....    

Shelves need to be replenished... especially in very busy periods of the week.....      

Is this really any different in Thailand ?????

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Never seen a forklift drop a pallet in the aisles, where does this happen ?" It wasn't a location limited comment.

And yes, they do tend to cordon off the aisle and use large forklifts with "beeping" alerts.... But they're still closing off store aisles temporarily in the middle of the shopping day.... which seems not ideal.

I've also seen customers in Makro walk past the cordons set up and go shopping down the aisle where the forklift is moving heavy pallets -- something that would give OSHA a nightmare if Thailand had anything functionally resembling OSHA.

I wasn't responding to the prior comment.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

In other countries they have staff to resupply when the shop is closed.

not true, in the uk supermarket shelves are re-stocked during shop open hours

try not to see criticism through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

Likewise try not to see denial through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's not thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Spamhead said:
2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

try not to see criticism through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

Likewise try not to see denial through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's not thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

The attempt to be cute and 'flip the comment'  has resulted in somewhat of an illogical forum face-plant. 

IF the Op (and other posters) were criticising all Supermarkets (overseas and in Thailand) for the manner in which they re-stock, then his observation would appear more balanced and less of a bash....  

But, the input from some posters throws criticism on this behavior as if its only a Thai thing and doesn't exist elsewhere which indicates an underlying superiority complex and a dash of bigotry.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of course, if we wanted to have a general discussion about the wisdom and expertise of Thai retailing, we also could look to another current thread on the subject running here at present:

Because online websites have never gone wrong outside of Thailand ????

I don't usually feel I am one of those who goes against the tide when there is something to criticise here, because its usually the police or road standards etc...   

....but in the example provided above and the subject itself - this a 'bash' when really there is no reason to bash. 

We we're renewing my Son's Passport the other day and the computers were down at the passport office...   funnily enough, the same happened to me years ago when I was renewing my passport (via 1 day fast track in the UK so instread of taking a few hours it did take alll day).

In 2017 the whole of the NHS was subject to a ransomware hack that caused havoc. 

Thailand is not alone in these issues. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

You are talking rubbish like many here. Since when did all the shelves run out at the same time. We are talking about the supermarkets that seem to do it all at once

My first reaction when I walked into that one that sells wholesale style, many years ago.( probably cant mention the name).

chaining off aisles

1 side of  the aisle is loaded with pallets on the floor.

Excluding the cold foods & dairy, constantly moving items to new locations.

You’re 100% right!

You obviously have knowledge of 

handling a  business western style!

Edited by riclag

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:
6 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Would probably still need it during the day when customers are buying.

So why don't you see this in the UK or US?

Quite the generalisation that...     you seem to be suggesting supermarkets in the UK and US never replenish supplies in the day time.

It is something that is seen....  you just haven't noticed it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Quite the generalisation that...     you seem to be suggesting supermarkets in the UK and US never replenish supplies in the day time.

It is something that is seen....  you just haven't noticed it. 

There is something called "night crew", which apparently doesn't exist in Thailand.

• Agree 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

There is something called "night crew", which apparently doesn't exist in Thailand.

Could that be because their opening times ??

.... anywhere from 8-10am to 10pm-midnight ???  (similar to the UK though)

Or close to that, so early in the morning and late in the evening (i.e. from 10pm onwards) there is ample time to re-stock already ???

Do staff come at 6am and re-stock ??....      so they're called 'morning crew' ???

AND..  Is re-stocking in the day time that much of a hassle it warrants even a thought, let alone a thread - its comical and pathetic that this is an issue for some people...

...  the things miserable whining boomers get their knickers in a twist about is quite astonishing !!!.... 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

april 1

That only counts before midday !!... 

Thus, in continuing an April fool's joke after midday 'the person instigating' the joke themself are the fool....  or so folklore suggests !

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or close to that, so early in the morning and late in the evening (i.e. from 10pm onwards) there is ample time to re-stock already ???

Do staff come at 6am and re-stock ??....      so they're called 'morning crew' ???

AND..  Is re-stocking in the day time that much of a hassle it warrants even a thought, let alone a thread - its comical and pathetic that this is an issue for some people...

...  the things miserable whining boomers get their knickers in a twist about is quite astonishing !!!.... 

The major supermarket chains re-stock during night shift for efficiency. It also allows longer operating hours since night crew can run the store a couple of hours in the morning.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The major supermarket chains re-stock during night shift for efficiency. It also allows longer operating hours since night crew can run the store a couple of hours in the morning.

I get that....   but I don't think they (supermarkets) all operate to the same rigid rules, even from 'country to country'... 'chain to chain' and 'branch to brach'.... 

... And this is where we commonly see posters falling foul because they lack the ability to step outside of binary thinking and recognise that there is no singular rule and the reality across branches, across chains and across nations is that variation exists and relies purely on demand and delivery cycles.....

... Yet, in this thread some people have made this a 'Thai only Issue'.... 

So the question really begs (IMO at least), are those people being a dash 'Thai-bashey' with such opinions ????

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I get that....   but I don't think they (supermarkets) all operate to the same rigid rules, even from 'country to country'... 'chain to chain' and 'branch to brach'.... 

... And this is where we commonly see posters falling foul because they lack the ability to step outside of binary thinking and recognise that there is no singular rule and the reality across branches, across chains, across nations there is probably a variable policy that relies purely on demand and delivery cycles.....

... Yet, its become a 'Thai only Issue'....  in the eyes of some...

So the question really begs (IMO at least), are those people being a dash 'Thai-bashey' with such opinions ????

I think you protest too much, the OP made a true point about stock replenishment in Thai Supermarkets.

Only you can't accept that and decide it's Thai bashing, it's no different to making a comment on the general driving skills on display here, but thats not Thai bashing as you agree with it.

Wind your neck in a touch and accept it for what it is, an observation. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... And this is where we commonly see posters falling foul because they lack the ability to step outside of binary thinking and recognise that there is no singular rule and the reality across branches, across chains and across nations is that variation exists and relies purely on demand and delivery cycles.....

... Yet, in this thread some people have made this a 'Thai only Issue'.... 

The problem with your argument is this is a Thai forum therfore the vast majority of criticism is by definition going to be about something Thai . If you can't understand that then maybe this is the wrong forum for you since you simply make yourself look like a Thai apologist.

Let's just agree to disagree 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

The problem with your argument is this is a Thai forum therfore the vast majority of criticism is by definition going to be about something Thai . If you can't understand that then maybe this is the wrong forum for you since you simply make yourself look like a Thai apologist.

Let's just agree to disagree 

Thats the same 'binary' mindset I threw criticism at earlier...     in an 'either your with us or against us' manner, simply because I see this thread as a Thai-bash, the accusation of being a Thai apologist is levied - as if the balanced middle ground is forgotten and only dichotomy exists. 

I do get your point that as this is a Thai forum the subject is very naturally going to revolve around things that happen in Thailand. 

However, what I see here is something being criticised that occurs both outside and within Thailand, yet those levying the criticism are myopic in their observation and imply that this is a flawed standard of operations that only exists here in Thailand due to some managerial or intellectual failing of Thai's.....   

....Its not the most obvious 'Thai-bash' we see in this forum and perhaps no Thai bash was intended at all... however, the comparison was made in the Op between Thailand and 'other countries' outside of Thailand which highlights that this is a criticism levied solely at Thai's...

IMO that swings out towards the direction of a 'general Thai-bash'....  and I have called that out...

Conversely, (as mentioned earlier) discuss corrupt policing, Thai road behavior or general attitudes towards safety and I become the one against whom accusations of Thai-bashing are often levied.

8 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Makro

Yeah.. I dont class Makro as a supermarket... Like tops/foodland/frienship/villa.

But Makro use walker stackers in the aisles, not fork lifts.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Makro is not a "supermarket".

image.png.a7052fd5b2b3a0777dcd210c068c3595.png

And they use walker stackers in the aisles, not forklifts.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is an issue especially for those people in wheelchairs and who have limited mobility and then have to negotiate these obstacles

• Agree 1