Why do super markets insist on re stocking shelves during the day?

Asquith Production

4 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Your making it a Thai bash. Its the companies that make them do it.

You've already made it a Thai bash after levying the criticism of something that occurs here while ignoring the fact that it also occurs everywhere else !!... 

As below... you need to remove that 'chip' off your shoulder and view things with an open mind....  While Thailand has many pro's and con's... positives and negatives, contrary to your criticism and negative bias this is not something specific to Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

In other countries they have staff to resupply when the shop is closed.

not true, in the uk supermarket shelves are re-stocked during shop open hours

try not to see criticism through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

What works in the West won't work here. You need to be able to place some trust in your workers, that doesn't happen here.

A night shift of underpaid workers receiving deliveries and stocking shelves with minimal supervision and security would be a nightmare for the Thai Chinese owners and management.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

At a guess because the management are total <deleted> without any clue how to run a retail outlet and even less commonsense. 

so... if all the products on the shelf have been sold they should not re-stock the shelves until the shop is closed? that's common sense? it's certainly an ineffective business model.

and if products aren't available on the shelf you wouldn't complain, you'd be happy to wait until the next day to buy those products?! really?!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Yes I know but I am talking about the timing of restocking

Will you still complain when there is nothing on the shelves, and the prices have to go up to cover the extra cost of an extra shift and the extra cost of keeping the store open  to restock?

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Just returned from a well known supermarket chain after having to jump over and push past trollys loaded with goods and trays of eggs on the floor with staff cross legged alongside them. It makes shopping very difficult and  makes it impossible to look at or reach certain items.  It does not seem to matter what time of day I go in their is always someone stocking shelves and causing a blockage. In other countries they have staff to resupply when the shop is closed. I realise that some products need to be restocked during the day but today every aisle had someone in it and the ones that did not had products causing a blockage.

Perhaps they sell a lot of stuff, you should be pleased for them.......:clap2:

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

...  at a guess... so you also have no clue how to run a retail outlet yet feel qualified to comment / criticise.....  :whistling:   

... the superiority complex shown by many in this thread highlights a degree of stupidity only surpassed by their own comments !!!   :giggle:

I worked in retail to help pay my way thru college....

We always did all the major restocking and maintenance/cleaning at night...after midnight until the early morning hours, because that was the time of the lowest traffic volume in a 24-hour market operation, and the work could be done most efficiently without annoying or interfering with paying customers...

But hey, that was just a worldwide multi-billions of dollars retail market operation. What did we know....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

You are talking rubbish like many here. Since when did all the shelves run out at the same time. We are talking about the supermarkets that seem to do it all at once

You seem to have spent the last few posts defending your whining, as if you are the only person in the world that matters.

Grow up, work around it like normal people do...

Edited by stats
flame comments removed
  • Thanks 2

The aisles of typical Thai supermarket venues are often narrow enough as it is... often making it difficult to pass just one other party in the same aisle...

It certainly doesn't get any better when the store staff start hauling out piles of product boxes and stacking them around the aisles in the middle of the shopping day.

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

A quick scan of my receipt, and they are off, like a well oiled machine, moving everything I have bought to another location in the store. The result, when I come back, nothing is ever in the same place!

It would be too boring if they didn't constantly reshuffle the locations of things, moving the ketchup to the wine shelves, and the wine to the diapers shelves... etc etc... All in a day's work.  :smile:

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But hey, that was just a worldwide multi-billions of dollars retail market operation. What did we know....

By your own admittance... You were a 'graveyard shelf stacker'....    so you clearly knew very little...  !!!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

not true, in the uk supermarket shelves are re-stocked during shop open hours

try not to see criticism through the lens that if something is not right it must be because it's thai/thailand.  :coffee1:

Not true.

Most supermarkets have a night shift.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

i'd like to know how many supermarkets back home operate their Forklifts throughout the day at the busiest times, depositing pallets full of product along the aisles.

Just doesn't happen, H&S would have a baby.

It's true most restocking is done over night, stock required to be replaced during the day time is bought in, in smaller mobile cages that do not block aisles.

Never seen a forklift drop a pallet in the aisles, where does this happen ?

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

so... if all the products on the shelf have been sold they should not re-stock the shelves until the shop is closed? that's common sense? it's certainly an ineffective business model.

and if products aren't available on the shelf you wouldn't complain, you'd be happy to wait until the next day to buy those products?! really?!

Not at all. They are you're words not mine. 

Of course they should try and restock shelves as and when stock is running low. What they do however is wait for the stock to run so low that is necessitates them bringing a huge pallet board onto the floor blocking ailes and causing an unnecessary hazard and inconvenience  to shoppers. No doubt if they run one of these unstable pallets into a customer it will all be the customers fault. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Never seen a forklift drop a pallet in the aisles, where does this happen ?

All pallets are brought onto the floor via forklift without exception. He's not talking a forklift truck numpty.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

You seem to attack people personally on here , which is supposedly against forum rules, we are talking about  something which needs to be addressed by supermarket companies which would help customers and thai workers alike

Nope... I haven't attacked you personally, I've attacked the inanity of your content and the bigotry of Thai-bashing that comes with it when singling out Thai behavior and levying criticism at Thai's for something that happens all over the world. 

So... you may feel butt-hurt at the criticism, consider it unfair and take it personally, but you feel its ok to slander whole nation when you imply that the same behaviour you are criticising is something that does not occur elsewhere.

You don't like being criticised for your unfair criticism of others...   Some would call that hypocrisy...  

6 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Edited by stats
flame comment removed
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bangkokhatter said:

i'd like to know how many supermarkets back home operate their Forklifts throughout the day at the busiest times, depositing pallets full of product along the aisles.

Just doesn't happen, H&S would have a baby.

It's true most restocking is done over night, stock required to be replaced during the day time is bought in, in smaller mobile cages that do not block aisles.

That depends on the super market. 

Some use large trolleys, some use a pallet jack...  etc...     

Is there really any difference in Thai supermarkets ???? 

- This thread...its idiotic because there is enough opportunity to levy criticism at genuine issues that exist here. 

Edited by stats
flame comment removed

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope... I haven't attacked you personally, I've attacked the inanity of your content and the bigotry of Thai-bashing that comes with it when singling out Thai behavior and levying criticism at Thai's for something that happens all over the world. 

So... you may feel butt-hurt at the criticism, consider it unfair and take it personally, but you feel its ok to slander whole nation when you imply that the same behaviour you are criticising is something that does not occur elsewhere.

You don't like being criticised for your unfair criticism of others...   Some would call that hypocrisy...  

If you were to post something intelligent, you'd have my support !!!... 

But you do attack people.      You were a 'graveyard shelf stacker'....    so you clearly knew very little...  !!! Your words

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't care if they wan to restock the shelves, but the way they do it is annoying. They block the aisles, wander around pushing big carts and practically knocking people over, they have ladders, and cardboard boxes strewn all over the place. Have a little consideration for the customer, will you? I nearly got run over the day by a guy pushing a big line of shopping carts through the store at breakneck speed.

• Confused 1