Tar or oil blobs on the beach. Terrible!

I saw a post here from a few years ago about this. Well, it's still a problem. Can't walk on the beach without the bottom of your feet turning black. And not easy to get off. Many here in Lamai are wearing sandals or shoes when walking in the sand. We had the same problem last week in Chaweng.

Can't imagine what this is doing to the environment.

20240327_070256_1.jpg

Can't speak for the causes of this incident, but we always kept a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil in the car when the Ixtoc platform oil washed up on the beach in Texas. We had blobs of oil for years and years after that.

Generic name is mineral oil, but the Johnson brand smelled nice in addition to cleaning up oil off our feet, clothes and the car's carpeting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 11:58 AM, impulse said:

Can't speak for the causes of this incident, but we always kept a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil in the car when the Ixtoc platform oil washed up on the beach in Texas. We had blobs of oil for years and years after that.

Generic name is mineral oil, but the Johnson brand smelled nice in addition to cleaning up oil off our feet, clothes and the car's carpeting.

Thanks! It's really hard to get off. I'll get some and give it a try.

Terrible to see tourists trying to get this muck off. Really turns me off wanting to walk on the beach, which is one of my favorite pastimes!

6 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

Hope it works. I forgot to mention we also kept some throw-away rags in the car.  Ratty old terry cloth towels worked the best.  Everyone had a few  back then, ruined by the tar balls on the beach.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

19 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

Terrible to see tourists trying to get this muck off. Really turns me off wanting to walk on the beach, which is one of my favorite pastimes!

In TH, you should be wearing a hard bottom water shoes/footwear anyway at the beach, especially a touristy beach.   Way too many sharp objects in the sand for my liking.  Some of those shells in the sand can be quite sharp & pointy.

image.png.ce3af5573b670aeb9fd52a12d084d8a5.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

In TH, you should be wearing a hard bottom water shoes/footwear anyway at the beach, especially a touristy beach.   Way too many sharp objects in the sand for my liking.  Some of those shells in the sand can be quite sharp & pointy.

I think that the biggest danger is broken glass. When it is recently broken.

After it has been in the sea for a while, the tides smooth it off.

This is usually more of a problem on the quieter beaches.

Touristy beaches are cleaned regularly by the hotels.

• Like 1