Retirement visa VS tourist visa. Advantages?

12 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

But don’t forget about one huge disadvantage. One should be quite old to get that retirement visa.

And, regarding your positive examples… Well , I know several people who stayed in Thailand for many many years on a tourist visa (one of them I know better than anybody else in Universe). 

50 is quite old? are you 25? jeez

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

But don’t forget about one huge disadvantage. One should be quite old to get that retirement visa.

And, regarding your positive examples… Well , I know several people who stayed in Thailand for many many years on a tourist visa (one of them I know better than anybody else in Universe). 

Retirement extension is available from the age of 50. 

I can't see a single advantage of using tourist visas instead of a retirement extension.  Who wants to be that grifter at the airport bickering over his "right" to enter on his umpteenth tourist visa when he clearly isn't a tourist?  You'll see. There's no going back once you've experienced the hassle free entry of a retirement extension. 

None depending on your lifestyle.  They both do the same thing, allow you to stay in TH, for a set time.

Depends how many days you want to stay in country, at a time.  Thai Imm site will tell you the cost & limitations of both, if any.

I prefer the 'once a year' paperwork of the Retirement visa & extensions, vs the repeat Imm Office visits if on a tourist visa to extend, and or exits out of the country.

Of course for retirement visa, need a Cert. of Residence, base income (Thai bank account), and be 50+ yrs old.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No it's not a "tier" system.

You can use public hospitals for fraction of price of private. 

As to your thread ....any form of tourist visas would not be good option for "I plan to live here permanently " 

You should obtain a non O based on retirement and subsequent 12 month extensions on going.

That has financial requirements. 

If that is not possible some folk use an agent. 

The Elite Visa is a tourist visa and the Thai government has no problem with you living here on that visa.

Been here coming on to 8 years straight and never had any bother with the Elite Visa.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, kamma said:

The Elite Visa is a tourist visa and the Thai government has no problem with you living here on that visa.

Yes yes ...however the OP has never referred to PE visa. 

A costly option at that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Last time at Bangkok Pattaya hospital the woman at the cashier was visibly unhappy after me asking her to just give me the names of the medicines so I can buy them outside.

The names of medications would be clearly stated on your billing statement. 

You opt to include that purchase  or not.

In any event you know what has been prescribed.  

5 hours ago, Hellfire said:

And, regarding your positive examples… Well , I know several people who stayed in Thailand for many many years on a tourist visa (one of them I know better than anybody else in the Universe). 

Find this a nonsense. 

"Stayed in Thailand for many years..." implies ongoing living in Thailand. 

Try to be clear.

Staying in Thailand does not mean eg 6 months in and 6 out using visa such as METV each year.

Also "quite old to get a retirement visa" 

Is that a joke. What age do you suggest. 

On 4/2/2024 at 7:14 AM, Hellfire said:

Yes, that indeed is obvious. What about other, less obvious advantages? For example, the cost of the health related services?

You are on your own and needs health related insurance, no matter what visa or permission to stay – tourist visa or retiree – your have. If you stay less than six months you can normally use a travel insurance with repatriation to your home country.

If you plan to stay as snowbird the METV (multiple entry tourist visa) gives you 2 x 90 days with a visa-run for re-entry and two 30-days extension on each 60-days entry. The retirement visa – non-immigrant OA – gives you one years stay on each entry, but requires more paperwork from home, proof of funds and a an approved health insurance. Not all countries issues that visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:19 PM, DrJack54 said:

No it's not a "tier" system.

You can use public hospitals for fraction of price of private. 

Public hospitals charge foreigners pretty much the same amounts as average private hospitals do. Using public hospitals makes sense only if you have Thai social security.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:35 AM, Hellfire said:

What are the main pluses of being on a Retirement visa vs Tourist visa (if any)? 

You obviously shouldn't be on a tourist visa if you are asking this question. Stop abusing the tourist visas when you should be on a retirement visa.

• Sad 1

On 4/2/2024 at 2:34 PM, Hellfire said:

I plan to live here permanently. I heard there are payment tiers in the Thai hospitals. The lowest and the most expensive tier is for those on a tourist visa. Did I get that right? 

Then stop abusing tourist visas!! Seriously, immigration needs a big crackdown on old folks abusing tourist visas when they are over 50 years old.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 1

Do I need to get a re-entry stamp every time at the immigration office if I want to leave Thailand for a few days/weeks on a retirement visa?  Or does it act as a multiple-entry service and I can visit Thailand as many times as I want during the year?  I find conflicting information on this issue...

On 4/2/2024 at 2:34 PM, Hellfire said:

I plan to live here permanently. I heard there are payment tiers in the Thai hospitals. The lowest and the most expensive tier is for those on a tourist visa. Did I get that right? 

If you play golf there is a distinct advantage. if you're on a tourist visa you will pay twice as much as if you're on a non-o retirement. 

2 hours ago, Farangus said:

Do I need to get a re-entry stamp every time at the immigration office if I want to leave Thailand for a few days/weeks on a retirement visa?  Or does it act as a multiple-entry service and I can visit Thailand as many times as I want during the year?  I find conflicting information on this issue...

You can get a re-entry permit valid for multiple entries. This allows you to re-enter Thailand an unlimited number  of times during the validity period of your permission to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1