Big Joke woes: Warrant issued for money laundering

snoop1130

Surachate surrenders, freed on bail after questioning

image.jpeg

Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn

Deputy national police chief, Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, reported to the enquiry officer at Taopoon police station on Tuesday afternoon, to acknowledge the money laundering charges filed against him. He was granted bail after about four hours of questioning.

Pol Gen Surachate told reporters as he left the police station at about 8pm that he has denied all the charges and vows to fight the case in the court.

He insisted that he is still regarded as innocent until he is found guilty by the court.

The embattled senior police officer decided to surrender after the Criminal Court issued a warrant for his arrest yesterday, as he had ignored three summonses issued by the Taopoon police.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-03

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Like 1

The headline:- "Arrest warrant issued for Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn"

Last paragraph:- The outcome of this legal request remains to be seen, as the court has not yet announced its decision. (regarding the "request for an arrest warrant")

Sooo, - has the arrest warrant been issued or not? I suspect not!

Anyway, last I heard was that "Big Joke" was "on a short holiday" in England! Hmmm!!! Somehow I think that he may be there for a while!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, anchadian said:

Who is Warren?

Some retired Ozzie on the YouTube shacked up in BKK with a local ladyboy. Irritating as all hell.

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

His protector is now out of active power games.. So without Big Tu's sphere of influence, maybe time is up for the Jokester.. 

He's had a good run. Been famous and infamous during his tenure. He is due to retire soon, so a  probable way out. Personally I've enjoyed his antics, heroics over the years.

On 4/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, Doctor Tom said:

You don't know what you are talking about. 

Do you honestly believe he is any better than the others?

I suggest it is you who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Edited by stats
flame comments removed
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And with equal respect to you Sir, that is not the criteria for a straight cop here.  He made every effort to ensure that Immigration policy and law was being followed and tried to stamp out payments under the table.  For that alone, he should be commended. And for that alone he is hated by many of his less straight colleagues. 

Yeah,

Because that was a great photo opportunity to further his career.

Why mess about with Immigration corruption when there is far more money to be earned in online gambling?

When he gets up to nonsense, you allow him to play the victim and commend his previous ' deeds ' as though one cancels the other out.

He tried to stamp out nothing, but none of them did, it's a pure deflection or somebody up the pole isn't getting their perceived share and you class this as an ' honest cop '

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

His protector is now out of active power games.. So without Big Tu's sphere of influence, maybe time is up for the Jokester.. 

Whatever you do, don't tell Doctor Tom, he thinks this hero is only missing his cape!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Its ironic because he was making progress.  He is the closest this place has got to a straight cop. 

I'd accept that his principles appear to be a lot higher than the rest.  Far from whiter than white though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

He should, he helped make the bent rules.

Gosh , you seem to know everything about him ? You ought to help out in this investigation!  Sounds like a personal grudge to me against all police , or a case of putting all your eggs in the same basket.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yep! The Thaiger strikes again. Why does AN persist in sending us these daily reports that are either full of inaccuracies or full of nothing. Does this reflect the standard that AN wants to present? I just don't get it.

It generates clicks and that's all that matters, bear in mind this is a commercial enterprise not here only for your benefit. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

I'd accept that his principles appear to be a lot higher than the rest.  Far from whiter than white though!

Who and what is?  The Met Police in London are no better. He stacks up quite well against the last Met Commissioner, who was a corrupt (in the wider sense of that word)  disaster,  and pretty good against the present Commissioner. 

4 hours ago, sambum said:

The headline:- "Arrest warrant issued for Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn"

Last paragraph:- The outcome of this legal request remains to be seen, as the court has not yet announced its decision. (regarding the "request for an arrest warrant")

Sooo, - has the arrest warrant been issued or not? I suspect not!

Anyway, last I heard was that "Big Joke" was "on a short holiday" in England! Hmmm!!! Somehow I think that he may be there for a while!

"Sad" and "Confused" - I'm a bit confused myself - has an arrest warrant been issued or not?

Also a bit "Sad" that he was allowed to go abroad on holiday when I am sure that he knew the turmoil that was surrounding his situation!

Anyway, let's see if he does a "Thaksin" and rides out the storm while out of the   country!

1 hour ago, Artisi said:
9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yep! The Thaiger strikes again. Why does AN persist in sending us these daily reports that are either full of inaccuracies or full of nothing. Does this reflect the standard that AN wants to present? I just don't get it.

It generates clicks and that's all that matters, bear in mind this is a commercial enterprise not here only for your benefit. 

I thought that's what the adverts were for, not inaccurate writing.

5 hours ago, sambum said:

The last the rest of us heard was that he had handed himself in.
Deputy national police chief, Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, reported to the enquiry officer at Taopoon police station on Tuesday afternoon, to acknowledge the money laundering charges filed against him. He was granted bail after about four hours of questioning.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The last the rest of us heard was that he had handed himself in.

Thanks for the info Barry!

• Thumbs Up 1

Deputy National Police Chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn will not be suspended from police duty, for now, said Pol Gen Kittirat "Big Tai" Phanphet, acting national police chief.

Pol Gen Surachate was moved to inactive duty at the PM's Office following instructions from Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin. This means that he has been suspended from the Deputy National Police Chief position, but not from police duty, and he is still receiving his full wage and welfare.

Pol Gen Kittirat explained that there are procedures that need to be followed, and the national police HQ has yet to receive reports about the allegations against Pol Gen Surachate, as the investigative officers are still probing the accusations.

Pol Gen Surachate was accused of money laundering in connection with alleged financial transactions from an illegal online gambling network that allegedly involved him and his subordinates. An arrest warrant has been issued for him after he failed to comply with three previous summoning warrants. He turned himself in after the Criminal Court approved the arrest warrant, and he was granted bail yesterday.

(more)

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1775438958341816511

Edited by stats
shortened per forum fair use quoting rule

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"Sad" and "Confused" - I'm a bit confused myself - has an arrest warrant been issued or not?

Also a bit "Sad" that he was allowed to go abroad on holiday when I am sure that he knew the turmoil that was surrounding his situation!

Anyway, let's see if he does a "Thaksin" and rides out the storm while out of the   country!

I suggest you re-read the posts above and find out where he has been recently and what he did yesterday!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

He has not been arrested, and if he was guilty he would have left the country long ago. He’s not stupid. 

No need to worry about Big Joke. His father was the police driver for Thaksin's father-in-law and Thaksin is now back in power and looking for a new police chief available to start in October.

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Who and what is?  The Met Police in London are no better. He stacks up quite well against the last Met Commissioner, who was a corrupt (in the wider sense of that word)  disaster,  and pretty good against the present Commissioner. 

On the face of it to someone like yourself, he undoubtedly does stack up quite well.  However if you had family that are familiar with the under workings of the capital and you visited them fairly regular, you would see and hear not so white a picture.

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Gosh , you seem to know everything about him ? You ought to help out in this investigation!  Sounds like a personal grudge to me against all police , or a case of putting all your eggs in the same basket.

I have witnessed and been up close and personal with the Thai Police at very high levels and I know very well how they work.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

He has not been arrested, and if he was guilty he would have left the country long ago. He’s not stupid. 

]There was a warrant out for his arrest by the court for failing to comply with previous orders and that is why he attended the police station for bail so no they don't ' leave the country '  because their egos don't allow it and they think they can bluff their way out, and on many occasions, they can.

At the moment they are still gathering statements and information and deciding on further action because not only are there criminal charges involved, the situation is further complicated by the fact that he is a senior police officer, so that comes into play as well.

It is not like a member of the public that just jumps bail and disappears.

Edited by Scouse123

25 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I have witnessed and been up close and personal with the Thai Police at very high levels and I know very well how they work.

Aha ! That explains your avid interest . I will still wait to see what the PM does about this. Always innocent until proved guilty for me and I honestly he has tread on someone’s toes