Ugandan Court Upholds Draconian Anti-Gay Law

Social Media

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not to worry, they can apply online and be flown in. 

Or they can just cross the border, store on a ship, arrive on a tourist visa, student visa, business visa.

They only need arrive and then state they are seeking asylum.

Refer OP at top of thread for an explanation of reasons they might do so.

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No not at all.

This news report clearly states the jeopardy LGBTQ individuals in Uganda face.

If one such individual arrives in or is already in the UK or US and seeks asylum on the basis of the treatment they face in Uganda under these laws do you support their right to asylum.

Yes or no?

It would depend how they got to the uk.  If they entered the UK by legal means then yes I would.  If they arrived illegally then would not as I do not support the rights of criminals to gain entry into the UK over those who try and enter by legal means and would want them deported straight back to Uganda.  If they are in Uganda I would suggest they seek refuge in the nearest country that is safe for them, which would be one of the several countries bordering Uganda.  

So in your view why would they not want to seek refuge in a nearby country then?  What has the US/UK got to do with any of this?  The only contribution to this the UK or USA needs to make is to immediately stop any foreign aid from reaching Uganda until such time as they repeal this and similar laws.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Anyone that arrives from Uganda claiming to be persecuted for being gay has a right to apply for asylum and the right for that application to be given consideration under the asylum laws.  

Are you sure? 

‘Claiming to be gay’ is only part of that process.

I don’t know why you make the statement “(per the left's definition)” it seems a baseless assumption on your part, my guess is it is exactly that.

Because it will be the left that determines what constitutes anti-gay. 

I don’t know on what legal basis the U.S. could send any asylum seeker to Scotland, perhaps you do, but I doubt it.

I meant send them directly from Uganda to Scotland. 

Scotland is part of the UK.

All the better. 

So to be clear, it is your position that anyone from Uganda claiming they are LGBTQ should be granted asylum in the US or UK, yes or no? 

And for that matter, anyone claiming to be gay from any country that that is anti-gay, should be granted asylum as well, yes or no? 

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

So in your view why would they not want to seek refuge in a nearby country then?  What has the US/UK got to do with any of this?  The only contribution to this the UK or USA needs to make is to immediately stop any foreign aid from reaching Uganda until such time as they repeal this and similar laws.  

In my view they have the right to seek asylum in any nation that is a signatory to the international refugee conventions.

There is no obligation to seek asylum in first safe country/nearest country any country other than the UK/US.

Cutting aid cuts funding to the poorest and most vulnerable. Noice idea!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think we should send them all to Scotland where they'll be protected from all the hate that countries like the US and UK suffer. 

Sadly, Scotland remains part of the UK.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Sadly, Scotland remains part of the UK.

That is sad, I thought they voted and whatnot. Well, in that case, I think we should send them all to Scotland where they'll be protected from all the hate that countries like the US and the rest of the UK suffer. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Are you sure? 

Yes

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Because it will be the left that determines what constitutes anti-gay.

I thought it was the left giving Uganda a free pass on homophobia?

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I meant send them directly from Uganda to Scotland. 

Have you asked the individuals, the Ugandan Government, the Scottish Government? Or is this just some random brain dump?

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So to be clear, it is your position that anyone from Uganda claiming they are LGBTQ should be granted asylum in the US or UK, yes or no? 

No. Already explained, they have the right to apply for asylum.  It’s a right written in law.

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And for that matter, anyone claiming to be gay from any country that that is anti-gay, should be granted asylum as well, yes or no? 

Again no, they have a right to apply for asylum, it’s a right written in law.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

makes no references as to why it has to be the us or uk. there are loads of other countries.

Just now, stoner said:

makes no references as to why it has to be the us or uk. there are loads of other countries.

No, and it doesn’t have to be, nor is there any stipulation that asylum must be sought anywhere, not the nearest country, not the first safe country.

However,  asylum seekers arriving in the U.S. and UK is a bit of a regular topic on this forum.

No, and it doesn’t have to be, nor is there any stipulation that asylum must be sought anywhere, not the nearest country, not the first safe country.

However,  asylum seekers arriving in the U.S. and UK is a bit of a regular topic on this forum.

i know that if i was fleeing for my life i would flee the place i feared as fast and easy as possible. uganda being a land locked country crossing a land border would be the ideal choice for me. it would only take you a few hours (less than that in many cases from the looks of how small the country is) to be out of the country. 

flying out requires a plane ticket. as we all know taking a plane out of airports internationally is quite speedy now a days. 

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

i know that if i was fleeing for my life i would flee the place i feared as fast and easy as possible. uganda being a land locked country crossing a land border would be the ideal choice for me. it would only take you a few hours (less than that in many cases from the looks of how small the country is) to be out of the country. 

flying out requires a plane ticket. as we all know taking a plane out of airports internationally is quite speedy now a days. 

There are organizations that will help them get tickets, and coach them on what to say when they get there. 

• Haha 1

Several Muslim counties have the death penalty for gays, the lefties just seem to forget that and only start the pearl clutching when a non Islamic country goes the same way

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, proton said:

Several Muslim counties have the death penalty for gays, the lefties just seem to forget that and only start the pearl clutching when a non Islamic country goes the same way

racist 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

People granted asylum can apply to live in the United States permanently which will be granted, as will a path to citizenship. 

And I said votes and support. 

But  you know all that. 

And they all vote for Trump.

2 hours ago, proton said:

Another baseless accusation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

That is simply not true.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

let me highlight the baseless part of the accusation so you can spot it more easily:

9 hours ago, proton said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

let me highlight the baseless part of the accusation so you can spot it more easily:

Many states in the US have the death penalty for gays as well, correct? 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How does that offering even remotely relate to my post you replied to?

I thought you wanted to send Ugandan gays to the US, sorry, my bad. 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:29 PM, JonnyF said:

Not much mileage in this thread.

Lefties give places like Uganda a free pass for bigotry, misogyny, transphobia etc.

They consider them too primitive to follow their progressive doctrine. They expose their patronizing attitude.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Your senseless smear of "lefties", "free pass" etc is flat out stupid. US right wing Christians are the ones pouring millions into African anti gay culture. Read this https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/09/us-religious-right-lgbtq-global-culture-fronts

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:20 AM, Yellowtail said:

Many states in the US have the death penalty for gays as well, correct? 

I don't think that there are any states which execute homosexuals specifically because of their sexuality. Generally, there would be other factors at play...

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think that there are any states which execute homosexuals specifically because of their sexuality. Generally, there would be other factors at play...

As far as I know, there is no place, including Uganda, that executes homosexuals specifically because of their sexuality.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:52 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Or they can just cross the border, store on a ship, arrive on a tourist visa, student visa, business visa.

They only need arrive and then state they are seeking asylum.

Is not being allowed anal sex a reason?

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

As far as I know, there is no place, including Uganda, that executes homosexuals specifically because of their sexuality.

New on the books for Uganda, so none executed yet.

For executions, check out Iran, Taliban, ISIS was notorious for this. Favorite it dropping a wall on them. So maybe you might want to widen your scope so "as far as I know" includes at least a cursory search for facts. Just sayin'