Ugandan Court Upholds Draconian Anti-Gay Law

Social Media

image.png

The Constitutional Court of Uganda has upheld the country's controversial anti-gay law, which includes severe penalties such as life imprisonment and the death penalty for individuals engaging in same-sex relations. The law, signed by President Yoweri Museveni last year, has faced significant international condemnation and led to repercussions for Uganda on the global stage.

Despite criticism from rights groups and foreign entities, including the World Bank and the United States, the court largely upheld the law, ruling that it did not violate key rights granted by Uganda's Constitution. The decision has disappointed activists and petitioners who had challenged the law, citing concerns about its infringement on fundamental rights and international obligations.

The law criminalizes various forms of same-sex relations and imposes harsh penalties, including imprisonment and the death penalty for what it terms as "aggravated homosexuality." The legislation has sparked fears of increased persecution and harassment of the LGBTQ community in Uganda, with reports of violence and human rights abuses since its enactment.

Critics argue that the law reflects deeply entrenched anti-gay sentiment in Ugandan society, driven by religious and political leaders who view homosexuality as a Western import threatening traditional values. The swift passage of the law through Parliament, with minimal opposition, underscored the widespread support for anti-gay measures among lawmakers and religious groups.

The law's enforcement has led to further human rights violations and abuses, including arrests, forced examinations, evictions, and violence against LGBTQ individuals. Many have been forced to flee the country to seek safety elsewhere, facing challenges accessing essential services and medical care.

Internationally, the law has strained Uganda's relationships with foreign partners, leading to the suspension of funding from entities like the World Bank and visa restrictions from the United States. Economic repercussions, including reduced investment and tourism, have further compounded Uganda's challenges.

While President Museveni has publicly defended the law, concerns have been raised about its impact on Uganda's reputation and economy. Despite his outward defiance, there are indications that Museveni may privately be concerned about the country's isolation and the economic consequences of its anti-gay policies.

Source

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Social Media said:

there are indications that Museveni may privately be concerned about the country's isolation and the economic consequences of its anti-gay policies.

Good - as long as these policies remain in force, the international community should continue to isolate Uganda.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not much mileage in this thread.

Lefties give places like Uganda a free pass for bigotry, misogyny, transphobia etc.

They consider them too primitive to follow their progressive doctrine. They expose their patronizing attitude.

More flush face bulging vein garbage from you then.

Let’s see your evidence for any of those hogwash claims of yours.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More flush face bulging vein garbage from you then.

Let’s see your evidence for any of those hogwash claims of yours.

Got a mirror? 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Absolutely.

The left need to take a good hard look at themselves .

They are what they claim you to be. 

I've not seen many better examples than on this forum.

You haven’t provided any examples to back your claim that anyone in the left give Uganda a free pass.

Let alone any indication of what constitutes ‘places like Uganda’.

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Absolutely.

The left need to take a good hard look at themselves .

They are what they claim you to be. 

I've not seen many better examples than on this forum.

Time to put down the Sangsom Jonny mate, your just embarrassing yourself now.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You haven’t provided any examples to back your claim that anyone in the left give Uganda a free pass.

Let alone any indication of what constitutes ‘places like Uganda’.

The left loves them some Palestine, yes?

• Love It 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Depends, you a leftist? 

Here it is again.

You said it, you presumably thought it meant something.

Have another go at explaining exactly what this abuse of the English language was meant to say:

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The left loves them some Palestine, yes?

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here it is again.

You said it, you presumably thought it meant something.

Have another go at explaining exactly what this abuse of the English language was meant to say:

Is that a yes or a no? 

15 hours ago, Social Media said:

Many [Ugandan LBGTQ individuals ] have been forced to flee the country to seek safety elsewhere, facing challenges accessing essential services and medical care.

I wonder if those amongst us currently doing their feeble best to twist this news into a stick to bash the political left, will accept the dreadful consequences of Uganda’s anti gay laws on the LGBTQ individuals in Uganda and therefore support the right of Ugandan LGBTQ individuals to seek asylum in the countries were they themselves come from, chiefly the UK and US?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is that a yes or a no? 

It’s a ‘I haven’t got a clue what your meaningless post was even trying to say’.

It seems you don’t either.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wonder if those amongst us currently doing their feeble best twist this news into a stick to bash the political left, will accept the dreadful consequences of Uganda’s anti gay laws on the LGBTQ individuals in Uganda and the support the right of Ugandan LGBTQ individuals to seek asylum in the countries were they themselves come from, chiefly the UK and US?

I think we should send them some rainbow flags and George Floyd posters, that should help. It worked in Afghanistan didn't it?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a ‘I haven’t got a clue what your meaningless post was even trying g to say’.

It seems you don’t either.

Well, at least you're half right this time...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wonder if those amongst us currently doing their feeble best to twist this news into a stick to bash the political left, will accept the dreadful consequences of Uganda’s anti gay laws on the LGBTQ individuals in Uganda and therefore support the right of Ugandan LGBTQ individuals to seek asylum in the countries were they themselves come from, chiefly the UK and US?

Uganda borders Rwanda, as well as many other countries.  Why would they need to go all the way to the US or UK for refuge?  Would it be because you think that that African countries are inferior in some way?  

• Love It 1

Just now, James105 said:

Uganda borders Rwanda, as well as many other countries.  Why would they need to go all the way to the US or UK for refuge?  Would it be because you think that that African countries are inferior in some way?  

No not at all.

This news report clearly states the jeopardy LGBTQ individuals in Uganda face.

If one such individual arrives in or is already in the UK or US and seeks asylum on the basis of the treatment they face in Uganda under these laws do you support their right to asylum.

Yes or no?

6 minutes ago, James105 said:

The left needs the votes/suppoort in the UK and US. Moving them to other African countries won't help. 

In any event, being gay is not against the law in Uganda, it is the behavior that is against the law. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The left needs the votes/suppoort in the UK and US. Moving them to other African countries won't help. 

In any event, being gay is not against the law in Uganda, it is the behavior that is against the law. 

More unsubstantiated conspiracy hogwash.

Immigrant non citizens don’t have a vote.

You know this.

Oh and thanks for providing an example to disprove Jonny’s claim that the left give Uganda a free pass.

A claim I suspected to be a rightwing accusation confession thing.

You brought home the bacon on that one. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If one such individual arrives in or is already in the UK or US and seeks asylum on the basis of the treatment they face in Uganda under these laws do you support their right to asylum.

Yes or no?

already in the USA. yes for sure. those not already arrived. different story. lots of factors into each individual situation. in those not arrived one would think it would be much easier to go to a neighboring country rather than flying across the ocean. 

if you had a passport i cannot see it being extremely difficult to get across the border out of uganda. nor would it be too hard to just flee out of the country on foot to another country without using the border. as happens all over the world every day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

already in the USA. yes for sure. those not already arrived. different story. lots of factors into each individual situation. in those not arrived one would think it would be much easier to go to a neighboring country rather than flying across the ocean. 

if you had a passport i cannot see it being extremely difficult to get across the border out of uganda. nor would it be too hard to just flee out of the country on foot to another country without using the border. as happens all over the world every day. 

Unfortunately for your argument the international conventions the UK and US signed and UK and US law permit an application for asylum regardless of where the applicant arrived from and by whatever means they arrived.

No not at all.

This news report clearly states the jeopardy LGBTQ individuals in Uganda face.

Yes or no?

So, anyone from Ugandahat says they are LGBTQ should be granted asylum in the US or UK, yes or no? 

And for that matter, anyone claiming to be gay from any country that that is (per the left's definition) anti-gay, should be granted asylum as well, yes or no? 

I think we should send them all to Scotland where they'll be protected from all the hate that countries like the US and UK suffer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately for your argument the international conventions the UK and US signed and UK and US law permit an application for asylum regardless of where the applicant arrived from and by whatever means they arrived.

unfortunately you completely missed my entire point.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More unsubstantiated conspiracy hogwash.

Immigrant non citizens don’t have a vote.

You know this.

Oh and thanks for providing an example to disprove Jonny’s claim that the left give Uganda a free pass.

A claim I suspected to be a rightwing accusation confession thing.

You brought home the bacon on that one. 

People granted asylum can apply to live in the United States permanently which will be granted, as will a path to citizenship. 

And I said votes and support. 

But  you know all that. 

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, stoner said:

Not to worry, they can apply online and be flown in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

So, anyone from Ugandahat says they are LGBTQ should be granted asylum in the US or UK, yes or no? 

And for that matter, anyone claiming to be gay from any country that that is (per the left's definition) anti-gay, should be granted asylum as well, yes or no? 

I think we should send them all to Scotland where they'll be protected from all the hate that countries like the US and UK suffer. 

Anyone that arrives from Uganda claiming to be persecuted for being gay has a right to apply for asylum and the right for that application to be given consideration under the asylum laws.  

‘Claiming to be gay’ is only part of that process.

I don’t know why you make the statement “(per the left's definition)” it seems a baseless assumption on your part, my guess is it is exactly that.

I don’t know on what legal basis the U.S. could send any asylum seeker to Scotland, perhaps you do, but I doubt it.

Scotland is part of the UK.