Allegedly Intoxicated British Man on Motorbike Crashes Into Pattaya Taxi Injures Two Girls

snoop1130

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a criminal record check prior to arrival would stop a lot of these people

I would rather a licence to ride or drive check, there must be criminals out there that are very proficient at riding motorcycles........:coffee1:

My thought starts at rental shops...........😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

:whistling:

Is it not against the law to have more than two on a motorbike? But that is no excuse for the behaviour of the drunk farang. A long jail sentence followed by deportation should suffice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

U turns are inherently dangerous, especially in Thailand, where a slow moving vehicle turns into the path of higher speed traffic.

I am not excusing the actions of the British rider, but road layout and driver behaviour make these collisions far too common.

As soon as it was obvious the British rider was under the influence of alcohol then that is it, but it would not have been the first time a motorbike taxi rider was under the influence of alcohol. I have heard and seen for myself evidence of this.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RobU said:

Obviously not as much as you since you seem to think that cannabis abusers are morally superior to alcohol abusers and it has no effect on driving capability. 

I have no idea where you get your ideas from,  Nowhere have I said that cannabis users are superior in any way to drinkers of alcohol, Neither have I said that cannabis has no effect on driving capability    

I personally do not consider the use of either to be an "abuse"   so there is another word which you have introduced to suit your own agenda, whatever that may be.

I have no issues about being quoted but I do object to people telling me what "i seem to think" based on nothing but their own deeply flawed "logic"

So to avoid me falling into the same trap,answer the question,  How much cannabis have you personally smoked, no need to be exact , lets make it easy for you,   A) None  B) a few puffs C) a whole joint D ) 10 joints, E) 100's of joints  F) 1000's of joints

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, baipaibkk said:

Drunk driving, what a scumbag. Typical Pattaya foreigner. 2 years of Hilton and he doesn't do it anymore. Taxis are so cheap in Thailand.

Look at the statistics about accidents un Thailand. Then figure out (if you're able to), how many foreign “scumbags” are involved.
Happy “Songkran”! 😂
(Just for the statistics)

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a criminal record check prior to arrival would stop a lot of these people

Every country should demand that.

It would kill off most of the massive world tourism industry very quickly.

What would be the parameters for travelling, a completely clean record, would a childhood error decades earlier rule you out, what about a fine in the courts even for a minor matter?

Who would adjudicate, the airline check-in clerk or would everyone have to apply for a visa and be vetted at the embassy? That would kill visa free travel.

What if the onus was on the pax to produce his own crim record, would anyone commit document fraud? 

Some might consider it couldn't even be slightly practical to expect this sort of vetting of the 1.3 billion international tourists worldwide each year. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Liverpool

Further words totally superfluous.....

The word Liverpool its self would appear to be superfluous, why do you feel the need to mention it. I can't find any mention of that city in either the OP or the linked articles 

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Every country should demand that.

It would kill off most of the massive world tourism industry very quickly.

What would be the parameters for travelling, a completely clean record, would a childhood error decades earlier rule you out, what about a fine in the courts even for a minor matter?

Who would adjudicate, the airline check-in clerk or would everyone have to apply for a visa and be vetted at the embassy? That would kill visa free travel.

What if the onus was on the pax to produce his own crim record, would anyone commit document fraud? 

Some might consider it couldn't even be slightly practical to expect this sort of vetting of the 1.3 billion international tourists worldwide each year. 

and what about offences that have reached their disclosure expiry date,  In the UK for example most are not disclosed  after 5 years, even relatively serious convictions are gone after 10    only the most heinous crimes are exempt from this people convicted of those cimes are normally in prison serving long sentences.  None of the above will have any effect on those who have offended all their lives and been lucky or clever enough to avoid capture.  

Those calling for criminal checks are just virtue signalling along with those advocating deportation , blacklisting, and lengthy prison sentences for the most trivial misdemeanors, lets have a logical sense of proportion for gods sake

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

However, it was reported that Ashton, who was receiving treatment at the hospital, allegedly attempted to flee from the hospital when doctors were not paying attention and was immediately taken into Pattaya City police custody.

Make him pay for all the medical bills, one year in a Thai prison then deported and 10 years blacklisted.

Additional compensation to the victims for pain & suffering. I hope they survive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

I have no sympathy for anyone drinking alcohol and driving 

But I have sympathy for people getting torn to shreds by the usual suspects on this forum when it has not been established whether they were under the influence or not.  Thankfully the police are aware of the need for a positive test before pressing charges.  Unlike the hang em high squad on this forum

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

and what about offences that have reached their disclosure expiry date,  In the UK for example most are not disclosed  after 5 years, even relatively serious convictions are gone after 10    only the most heinous crimes are exempt from this people convicted of those cimes are normally in prison serving long sentences.  None of the above will have any effect on those who have offended all their lives and been lucky or clever enough to avoid capture.  

Those calling for criminal checks are just virtue signalling along with those advocating deportation , blacklisting, and lengthy prison sentences for the most trivial misdemeanors, lets have a logical sense of proportion for gods sake

You did realize my post was sarcasm?

The concept is pie in the sky thinking and could never be practically introduced.

3 hours ago, baipaibkk said:

Drunk driving, what a scumbag. Typical Pattaya foreigner. 2 years of Hilton and he doesn't do it anymore. Taxis are so cheap in Thailand.

I'm new here and have never been to Pattaya, could you enlighten me as to all the other negative traits displayed by all ( or lets say 80%) of the millions of people  who "typically"  choose to visit that city every year.  Or are you just posting rubbish to try to  fit in with the growing lynch mob?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Speaking from experience are we?

My experiences are not your business.
If you don't have any “experiences”, google it.

Contrary, some of your posts, pretend that you've a some knowledge.
The usual BS reflexes of potheads, alcoholics, Jaba, and other stuff affiliates are mostly ridiculous.
If they're foreign “scumbags”, or local “saints”, is also quite irrelevant to me.
DUI, if proofed, should be prosecuted, and punished. The severity is up to the authorities.
Not to some dumb keyboard warriors in a “Good Guy” sanctuary, whatever their mission is.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Looks like a grey nomad from the blurred picture. Charge & deport the drunk old fool, ban him for 5 years and cancel his retirement visa. Seems every day it's the grey old nomads making the news for the wrong reason.

So should we strip Thais (like this one) who drink and drive and cause death and destruction on the roads of their citizenship and deport them too? Seems fair right? Chucking out the trash right!

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

So should we strip Thais (like this one) who drink and drive and cause death and destruction on the roads of their citizenship and deport them too? Seems fair right? Chucking out the trash right!

Thai folk belong to this country, the rest of us don't.

Farangy's that don't behave have only themselves to blame when the..........:hit-the-fan:

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

This website has been taken over by zealots who try to be more right-wing and extreme in their belief and parroting of the official line as they mistakenly believe this will somehow make them more Thai or more in touch with the locals. 

Its become an echo chamber of self loathing and hate sadly. 

Are you making excuses for naughty boys because you are one.....?.....:whistling:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 1happykamper said:

Seriously.. The guy in the photo is only 39? He looks much older 

The suspect on the black motorbike, identified by Pattaya Police as Mr. Ashton James Ellison, a 39-year-old British man, was allegedly heavily intoxicated and had also suffered a head injury, according to the rescue teams.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

That was the motorbike taxi driver's age. There was no age listed of the foreigner in the OP's 1st post.

Absolutely correct ...my bad (as they say ) !

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You did realize my post was sarcasm?

The concept is pie in the sky thinking and could never be practically introduced.

I was actually agreeing with you, I thought the final sentence of my comment made that clear, although having re read my post may be it didn't.

As you say the concept is unworkable in practice and in my opinion would achieve nothing.

Sadly there has always been a miserable yet very  vocal minority  on this forum who seek to change Thailand into a clone of the sad countries they saw fit to leave. This whole media frenzy merely provides them with another opportunity to renew their "demands"    Part of the attraction of Thailand is its reputation of relative  lawlessness and a place where one can live life on the edge. Pushing it as a safe and virtuous care home for "genteel retirees" will only diminish its popularity for the majority of others   with a sense of adventure and plenty  of life left in them.

Yes break the law and one may indeed get punished, but that is not a foregone conclusion here, and a matter between ones self and the authorities, nothing to do with a few sanctimonious pearl clutching pensioners on this forum

As an example I am not aware of millions of people queuing up to visit Tunbridge Wells in the Uk for an exciting holiday amongst the urine soaked residents of the retirement homes that abound there, despite what is probably a very low crime rate, but perhaps a few of the geriatrics who obviously did not know what they were getting into when they decided to move here should consider relocating one last time to live out their remaining years amongst other like minded crumblies.  An afternoon of bingo in the "day room" would no doubt suit them down to the ground, and if that's not to their taste there is always the Whist drive and the occasional sing a long when "Betty" tinkles the ivories on a friday evening before lights out at 7:30pm 

Although with the absence of  "quality tourists" "cannabis"  "bad driving" "double pricing" "corruption"  "immigration requirements" and "undrinkable tap water" etc etc what would they ever find to whinge about,  well there's always the good old UK weather after all

26 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Oh just f**k off with this jail and deport nonsense. 

Well said that man, its like a mass whinge , can you imagine what these people are like in real life. I have never met anybody here that subscribes to that way of thinking  Thai or foreigner,  and I seriously doubt (and hope) that I never will

• Agree 1