Need to paint house exterior - which paint? where from?

Niltava

2 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I was going to ask the same question as the OP but a quick search brought up this thread.

I'm no painter so would ask Thai painter to do it. Before reading this thread I presumed he would just paint over the existing paint after scraping away any flaky bits (not many) and filling any cracks.

But this thread talks about primer and 2/3 coats etc, is this necessary ? I need to know so I can ask the painter what he intends to do. The current paint is reasonably good, but it is a type of magnolia so I was going to change to white. It hasn't been re-painted since new, about 12-14 years ago.

Do you own the building or are you renting? 

You can just "...paint over the existing paint after scraping away any flaky bits (not many) and filling any cracks." and give it a coat of paint and it will probably be fine, assuming the existing paint is good shape. 

Using a primer coat, generally reduces the number of finish coats required, and primer is typically cheaper than finish paint. 

The number of finish coats depends largely on how well it covers. It you're repainting the same color, and the surface is good, you might get by with one coat.

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you own the building or are you renting? 

You can just "...paint over the existing paint after scraping away any flaky bits (not many) and filling any cracks." and give it a coat of paint and it will probably be fine, assuming the existing paint is good shape. 

Using a primer coat, generally reduces the number of finish coats required, and primer is typically cheaper than finish paint. 

The number of finish coats depends largely on how well it covers. It you're repainting the same color, and the surface is good, you might get by with one coat.

I own the building, have done for about 10 years. Thanks for reply.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I own the building, have done for about 10 years. Thanks for reply.

If you own the building, it makes spending more on a good coat of paint more worthwhile. 

Assuming you are hiring a painter, and not just laborers, they should provide the steps and materials involved with the quotation. 

Make sure that the bill of material lists the specific products to be used. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 9:53 AM, KhunLA said:

Aside from shop around, already suggested ...

... make sure walls & surfaces are properly prepped

... DO NOT ADD any water to primer or paint, no matter what any idiot suggests or tells you.  You immediately change the chemistry & properties of both.   Really can't be emphasized enough.

Surely somebody will come on here and says it's fine, normal and done all the time.  Doesn't make it right.

But when does diluting anything, make it better ?

Just for curiosities sake, I would like to confirm your statement:

... DO NOT ADD any water to primer or paint, no matter what any idiot suggests or tells you."

The Dulux manufacturers (ICI) says thus:

(I found link on the internet)

Dilute
When spraying with Weathershield®, you need to dilute the paint with up to 10% water.

Practically, I too have experienced that applying paint without thinning is almost impossible. Are you referring to any  particular type of paint or brand?

Edited by ravip
Add

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If you own the building, it makes spending more on a good coat of paint more worthwhile. 

Assuming you are hiring a painter, and not just laborers, they should provide the steps and materials involved with the quotation. 

Make sure that the bill of material lists the specific products to be used. 

I will buy the paint myself to ensure I have the best product hence my interest in the OP question rather than leave it -to Somchai to turn up with cheap sh*t.

I got the number of a Thai who was painting a house and exterior wall nearby as I walked the dogs, looked a decent job, using 2 colours on the surrounding wall, one colour for the pillars and lighter colour inside which is common here and looked neat.

I will ask him for a quote.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Just for curiosities sake, I would like to confirm your statement:

... DO NOT ADD any water to primer or paint, no matter what any idiot suggests or tells you."

The Dulux manufacturers (ICI) says thus:

(I found link on the internet)

Dilute
When spraying with Weathershield®, you need to dilute the paint with up to 10% water.

Practically, I too have experienced that applying paint without thinning is almost impossible. Are you referring to any  particular type of paint or brand?

When spraying yes, as you need to get the viscosity down, or it just won't work.  I've sprayed houses & cars, and takes talent.   One I haven't mastered.   :cheesy:

Sprayed a POS car (no loss), in very cool weather, and pro car sprayer next door warned me not to.   But it was only getting colder, so had to.  Yea ... had a couple runs, though he was impressed it turned out as good, or not so bad as he thought.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

When spraying yes, as you need to get the viscosity down, or it just won't work.  I've sprayed houses & cars, and takes talent.   One I haven't mastered.   :cheesy:

Sprayed a POS car (no loss), in very cool weather, and pro car sprayer next door warned me not to.   But it was only getting colder, so had to.  Yea ... had a couple runs, though he was impressed it turned out as good, or not so bad as he thought.

So ... mix with water or NO?

8 minutes ago, ravip said:

In all fairness:

1. Most people are not spraying water-based house paint in Thailand. 

2. Manufacturer's instructions could hardly be considered "...what any idiot suggests or tells you." 

3. Your link says up to 10%not at least 10%, making it optional. 

Using a brush or roller, I have never felt the need to thin any fresh, water-based paint. 

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

If not spraying ... NO

If spraying, and depending what, sprayer should have a viscosity # ?, forget exact as been so long ago.  But the nozzle to spray a house, wall or fence will be quite different than a car.  Car not forgiving at all.

House in TH. just use a roller, unless huge areas & NO water.  Sprayer can be a hassle, and not worth it for small areas. 

Cut in (molding) with a brush, and those foam ones come in quite handy, and once got the hang of it, you won't need masking tape.

Probably already state, prepping the surface very important, than lack of prepping, and seem the norm.   Raining season, so let whatever outdoor surface dry in a couple days of sun.  Don't skimp on the primer, as a lot cheaper than paint.

If contracted, tell painter not to add water, and pay for more paint.   You won't regret it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In all fairness:

1. Most people are not spraying water-based house paint in Thailand. 

2. Manufacturer's instructions could hardly be considered "...what any idiot suggests or tells you." 

3. Your link says up to 10%not at least 10%, making it optional. 

Using a brush or roller, I have never felt the need to thin any fresh, water-based paint. 

Very confusing indeed!

2. Manufacturer's instructions could hardly be considered "...what  any idiot...

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ravip said:

Very confusing indeed!

2. Manufacturer's instructions could hardly be considered "...what  any idiot...

UP2Whoever.  I've painted 6 whole houses, in/out, and none needed repainting, and never added water to anything.   Worked in a Sherwin William's paint store, (E. Winsor, NJ ? (Hightstown) customer sales, and water was never mentioned.   

Here/TH, I've seen them add 25% & up water to primers & paint ... "it goes on easier and covers more" ... yea, I can still the the block through the primer.   Put a second coat ... 'that is the second  coat'  :cheesy:

You're fired ... I'll do it :coffee1:

You have to be there, as you can tell them not to put water in the paint, but the second you walk away ... nuff said.

Edited by KhunLA