Who's on the ale tonight?

53 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

I can't comment with experience because I don't drink, but I've only ever seen the local hardcore drinkers on a tight budget going for that stuff. 

What I have heard is that spirits in Thailand are generally made with the lowest quality ingredients and with fast and low cost fermentation processes.

I assume at some point you get what you pay for and so there is bound to be some give and take on price versus quality? 

It has a bad reputation but in my opinion as a hard core drinker it is on a plain with vodka , tequila , gin etc and all clear spirits.

Foreigners see the damage it does in Thai society and so are ready to jump on the band wagon and condemn it out of hand without any knowledge it.

Go to Russia and see the locals drinking vodka. Very similar in effects. Travel back in time to the UK when the working classes drank gin almost exclusively because beer was too expensive. 

Next Google alcohol , clear spirit vs colored spirit like scotch. Apparently,  according to science , although all spirits are toxic to a human being , clear spirits are less damaging than those with color because they contain no tannins. ( not that I give a sh*t )

You are wise not to drink. It is not an admirable or healthy habit. Even a glass of wine a day apparently does more harm than good despite people saying Mediterranean  peoples were healthier for drinking wine with meals.

For myself , I used to prefer smoking pot as a far superior  alternative  but now at 66 with a weak ticker , alcohol seems safer as no heart palpitations. 

That , plus I never ever drink anything before 6.30 pm because don't like it means that in the evening , when I am chilling , a little of what I fancy is an indulgence I enjoy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

It has a bad reputation but in my opinion as a hard core drinker it is on a plain with vodka , tequila , gin etc and all clear spirits.

Foreigners see the damage it does in Thai society and so are ready to jump on the band wagon and condemn it out of hand without any knowledge it.

Go to Russia and see the locals drinking vodka. Very similar in effects. Travel back in time to the UK when the working classes drank gin almost exclusively because beer was too expensive. 

Next Google alcohol , clear spirit vs colored spirit like scotch. Apparently,  according to science , although all spirits are toxic to a human being , clear spirits are less damaging than those with color because they contain no tannins. ( not that I give a sh*t )

You are wise not to drink. It is not an admirable or healthy habit. Even a glass of wine a day apparently does more harm than good despite people saying Mediterranean  peoples were healthier for drinking wine with meals.

For myself , I used to prefer smoking pot as a far superior  alternative  but now at 66 with a weak ticker , alcohol seems safer as no heart palpitations. 

That , plus I never ever drink anything before 6.30 pm because don't like it means that in the evening , when I am chilling , a little of what I fancy is an indulgence I enjoy.

Thank you for the insights. I drank a bit when I was younger when we would go out to the bars and clubs. We drank whatever seemed like fun at the time. We ran the gauntlet from shi*ty Jäegermeister to quality single malts like Glenn Fiddich. But that was long ago. 

I agree that weed gets the heart racing a bit at times, but I don’t have any known heart issues and usually after the first 20 minutes it tappers off into a nice mellow cruise. I have only been using weed now for about 6 months. Something else I had done as a teen and stopped for decades. But coming back to it has had a very positive effect on overall attitude and mood. I only use it in the evenings to wind down the day. So I’m not hitting it all day like many of the young people tend to do. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

After a whole week of unemployment, I've completely lost track of what day it is :whistling:

Gawd knows how I'll cope when I actually retire!

I did retire 10 years ago, and I feel great.

I did manage to have a refreshing double rum & coke after walking the dog a couple of miles in the heat of the day.....

Imbibing before that walk didn't seem like a good plan....

Guinesses pints are two for one in Borneo. A pint is $9.

Bob, I lived in Suffolk in the aughts and saw local hero Steve Harley a dozen times. whenever they advertised a surprise guest act, it was him.

Deranged licensing laws meant just Steve solo. He killed at every show. Dead way too soon (recently).

12 hours ago, Denim said:

Can't drink Thai beer because never been mad on lager plus bloats me too much.

Stick to a small bottle of the hard stuff with a little mixer.

Thai beer is the successor to 70s Eurofizz. The monopoly means we have to tolerate consumer manipulation and widespread indifference to quality.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

...it's Friday!!

I've had a few days off the booze as I have been feeling a bit under the weather, but I think I'm gonna sink a few beers tonight.

Anyone else?

My thai new year celebrations start at 6pm tonight.

me and mrs. smith are goin traveling about the place until the end of April.

who knows, we might be stopping at a hotel near you!!!

Don't worry, I'll still find the time to make a thread or two 😉 

have a great weekend people!

bob.

Yeah bob im in Australia..give me a ring when you hit town and we can go out and hit the piss.