Speaking Thai - is it necessary these days for an expat ?

1 minute ago, Ratel Snake said:

With a translation device ?

Any time, bro 🙂

do you stick it in their face and then read the translation.  This would be entertaining to watch but if it works for you it must be possible.

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

do you stick it in their face and then read the translation.  This would be entertaining to watch but if it works for you it must be possible.

Here is how it works.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ratel Snake said:

Speaking Thai is useless unless you intend to marry a bargirl and become the beta provider of an Isaan family.

Educated Thai people speak english. They are the only ones that might bring some added value to your life.

Nowadays I would recommend people who want to interact with Thais to invest in a solid translation device such as Timekettle.

Allocate your time wisely.

That is BS I live in a rural area. the only frang around and no one speaks any English, that includes the wife of 20 years, and all her family so I speak Thai . I can go some weeks without speaking any English, also we have a small holding rearing a few cattle, I can go out and buy all the thing needed for the farm, all from the local shops, no need to drag the wife out to translate, One Kg of 3-inch nails please.

And Thais do apricate the fact you can speak Thai, yes, I still get it wrong, and I do meet some interesting people. 

With the small holding I can keep an eye on cattle prices, feed prices and availability etc.

This subject comes up on this forum every few months with mostly the same reply's, sounds if a lot of members just cannot be bothered/lazy to lean even the basics.

Boot on other foot, every time I go back to the Uk ,it is getting like the United Nations they, it always amazes me how well outsiders can speak English. If they why can't farangs here in Thailand speak some Thai. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, kickstart said:

That is BS I live in a rural area. the only frang around and no one speaks any English, that includes the wife of 20 years, and all her family so I speak Thai .

We agree. You're in the beta provider category. I mentioned that earlier.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ratel Snake said:

We agree. You're in the beta provider category. I mentioned that earlier.

Wrong yet again, you have got to live somewhere, for me it is LOS, not in Issan, doing what I like doing, rearing our few cattle, something I could not do in the UK, been doing it for 15 years now, the wife helps, she is from farming stock, so we get along OK.

Are you one of these Farang that say if you shout loud enough, they will understand you? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Wrong yet again, you have got to live somewhere, for me it is LOS, not in Issan, doing what I like doing, rearing our few cattle, something I could not do in the UK, been doing it for 15 years now, the wife helps, she is from farming stock, so we get along OK.

Are you one of these Farang that say if you shout loud enough, they will understand you? 

You can spin reality as much as you want if it makes you feel better.

At the end of the day, you live in the middle of nowhere with uneducated people.

You're probably the one quick drawing the wallet when necessary.

So beta provider whether it's in Isaan or not / whether your girl comes from the bars or not.

In your case, it makes sense to speak Thai.

But for 1 like you, you probably have 10 or 20 or even 100 in BKK, Pattaya or Samui.

Edited by Ratel Snake
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Take no notice of him Mr Kickstart. He clearly doesn't realise that he doesn't actually appear smart as he thinks, to me he's just another would be smartass who thinks he's better than everyone else.  He's just trying to wind you up - rise above it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

You think so? 

I recommend you try registering a vehicle in your name and getting new plates for it at Korat Land Transport office or dealing with matters relatinng to your home at the local Amphur. Then come back and say speaking Thai is useless.

A house and car in Korat? what is this, a cliche? 

No sensible single guy who can't speak thai is doing this silly nonsense on his own 🫢

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

No mate - 'at the end of the day', you couldn't live without those 'uneducated people' because those 'uneducated people' make the food you eat. Just one of those 'uneducated people' is worth ten like you.

Completely off topic, pal.

I never said uneducated people weren't working or producing anything.

If you can't retain an ounce of rationality, this discussion is pointless.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ratel Snake said:

Here is how it works.

it pains my soul to see American wigger culture has infected Australia. All countries should ban American mainstream music as a national security threat. Yes it really is that bad.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

A house and car in Korat? what is this, a cliche? 

No sensible single guy who can't speak thai is doing this silly nonsense on his own 🫢

Strange as it may seem, some of us actually like to do things ourselves. Its precisely because I can speak a little Thai that I can get these things done in the first place

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ratel Snake said:

Educated Thai people speak english. They are the only ones that might bring some added value to your life.

Nowadays I would recommend people who want to interact with Thais to invest in a solid translation device such as Timekettle.

This is such a sad comment. I really enjoying speaking with the women who clean our house and do laundry. They work at my wife's company earning not even 10k month so they take part time jobs to earn extra cash. They are such nice people if you can make some banter with them and joke around.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Depends on where you live...if you are stuck in Isan, Northerm Thailand or rural areas, you have no choice but to learn the local language. Bangkok, Samui, Pattaya, Phuket, and almost the entire Andaman coast, English is widely spoken and foreigners aren't motivated to learn Thai.

Depends where you live. Tourist destinations no. In normal towns and villages yes. 3/4 years ago I was having a drink at a beach bar in Phuket and struck up a conversation with a waiter and waitress and they were amazed I could speak Thai, we were laughing and joking and the tourists were staring, probably they were also amazed

10 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

You think so? 

I recommend you try registering a vehicle in your name and getting new plates for it at Korat Land Transport office or dealing with matters relatinng to your home at the local Amphur. Then come back and say speaking Thai is useless.

Never had a problem getting stuff like that done. 

On a side note, I still find it amazing when speaking with my daughter. From day one I spoke English with her, wife spoke Issan. 

My daughter can carry on  a conversation with both of us mixing English and Thai in the same sentence. Like it is one language! 

Always get a kick out of it. 

Also with her being so light skinned, pale like me, when we are in a coffee shop we like to get tongues rolling by speaking to each other in Thai. People around us just stare. In a good way.

Dont get yer knickers in a knot, my Thai is not very good, but my daughter and I have this thing were she understands what I am trying to say based on our conversation. 

I found it frustrating years ago not being able to read a menu in a restaurant. Always asking my wife ..what's this...whats that..so  that is where I started. The best thing is nearly every menu is constructed the same way. So once you know the heading - appetizer - fish- pork etc the rest of the items are the same. Now I can for the most part "read" a menu. 

19 hours ago, Goat said:

It is the ones who can not speak and read who are always in a state of frustration.

It is like living the life of an illiterate, deaf mute. 

And frustrating for the poor locals who bear the the brunt of this frustration with the the farang pulling faces an using hand signals, often using singlular Thai words and thinking that the Thai is the stupid one for not being able to understand the mess.

In Australia we make immigrants speak english, we should do it here also.

Most of the people I know already speak english

Actualy. Americans has always as a group refused to learn foreign languages.  It used to be prior to the 1980's, that studying a foreign language (fr or sp) was a requirement for graduating out of HS.  Then it was dropped totally and I am not sure if it ever came back anywhere or not.  Now US teachers in many cases have to be multi-lingual due to the invasion from the south border of families with school-aged children who need to be educated by the state.  Thus folks in the US just don't want to be bothered.  The US State Department (diplomatic missions around the world) reported in 2022 of being able to only fill 24% of their foreign-language slots.  Thus in many countries they have to hire locals to interview folks for visas etc.  I was lucky, as the govt sent me to many foreign language schools and countries which enabled me to better enjoy those countries and to meet and talk with the locals.  My daughter, now in college, graduated from HS having studied Fr 1 year, Chinese 6 years, Thai 12 years, English 12 years and self study Korean while getting awards for Chinese class (also teaching Chinese at a different HS after regular school) and has passed to level 4 of the Korean-international test having only self study.  None of these have the same alphabets, 2 are tonal and 2 are not and grammar is different too so it is possible if people really WANT to learn a foreign language.  Also I have read studies about dementia and worse brain diseases that show that bi-lingual people are less likely to suffer from.

Living within the country speaking a foreign language becomes much easier as one can be immersed in the local life and language.  My experience as a linguist for a 40-year career showed me how valuable speaking the local language can be in how one feels about where one lives.  My experience and opinion only of course.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

After being here for 15 years (wow, where does the time go),  I am taking Thai lessons not so much to learn Thai but for something to do.  I have been doing it for a month and although it is enjoyable most of what I am learning I have picked up on the street already (albeit not withthe prefect sentences.)

I alm looking forward to learning how to write adn read thai so that I understand a lot more of what is going on. 

While speaking Thai is good, I agree if you live in the city, Thais don't want to speak in Thai to you. They want to practice their English.

That being said with all the paperwork and everything it will be nice to be able to ready things that I am signing and not rely on the GF 

15 hours ago, transam said:

No, we were due one, not seen a Thai lingo thread for a while now.........🤭

Agree, the ones I miss are the hi-so university girl friend posts.

They were hilarious on the old ThaiVisa........

• Thanks 1

I worked out a LONG time ago that, although Thai's will initially seem impressed that you bother to try to learn Thai language, fact remains they REALLY do not want you to know what they're talking about.

In the early days, my wife sent me on an errand to the local shop with a mouthful of Thai words to practice with.

First time I realised it was a waste of time.

She sent me for sticky rice.........I babbled off that I needed nong kilo.

Returned home quite chuffed , wife said, this is 1 kilo steaming rice, tell me what you asked for.

So babbled off again what she told me to say.....she said, perfect.

So she called the shop and asked why they give me steaming rice...................

Answer was , yes, we know what he said but..............Farang never eat sticky rice so we give him steaming rice.

So........... I gave up trying.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

It would be sad to not be able to speak Thai. I suspect many of the people here who become lonely and depressed are this way because they can't communicate with the people around them. It's debated but my experience is Thai's are already repressed and don't speak enough in public so it's already kind of lonely in that regard, but if you can't speak when you have the chance it's even worse.

Just today I did a massage with the wife and I appreciate being able to chat with the massage ladies a little and complain about the smoke, heat etc.. Afterwards I got a Roti and ask the girl what the shop was with the frosted glass all the teenagers walking in and out. It's a vape store apparently. It's a little thing but that little bit of interaction helps to not feel as isolated.

It odd how there is wide disparity of how posters view  Thais.  No idea who actually has the correct perspective but interesting.  You see Thais as repressed and I see them as the most social culture I've experienced. Wish I spoke Thai like yourself but my hobbies make it easy to put off and it is extremely difficult for me to hear the tones.

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you want Thai citizenship/Permanent Residence  you have to pass a Thai language test.

Don't need to speak good Thai to pass current 'test' for either, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1