Forum upgrade in progress! ×

I'm finally quiting baked beans, price is ridiculous

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Brooks.....100%......taken a while....lots of blind tasting....but Brooks are the only edible baked beans.........at a reasonable price....B72

Good Aussie baked beans,,,

• Haha 1

Just now, Denim said:

Here's what the OP should do.

Pick up a tin or two at any big store. When nobody is looking , wack them hardish against the nearest concrete pillar  until a bit dented. Replace the tins on the shelf.

The next day, go to the damaged goods shelf and pick them up for half price !!

The days of doing things in shops when no one is looking has long gone 

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The days of doing things in shops when no one is looking has long gone 

Think outside the box then. Accidently drop them on the floor and then accidently stomp on them .

Maybe ripping the label might work in a pinch and more subtle.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Think outside the box then. Accidently drop them on the floor and then accidently stomp on them .

Maybe ripping the label might work in a pinch and more subtle.

Rather then being dishonest, I would rather just not buy them 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Ayam, British recipe baked beans, which have the smaller navy beans, similar to Heinz, are 49 bht, sometimes 45 bht at Tesco....... 🤗

Did you notice a change in the taste of Ayam brand beans about a year ago?  They were acceptable before but I can't eat them now, they're awful. Luckily I travel home often enough (at the moment) to be able to get a regular supply of decent beans which in fact are from Aldi and 42p.  I never thought I'd say this but they are as good as Heinz.

2 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Did you notice a change in the taste of Ayam brand beans about a year ago?  They were acceptable before but I can't eat them now, they're awful. Luckily I travel home often enough (at the moment) to be able to get a regular supply of decent beans which in fact are from Aldi and 42p.  I never thought I'd say this but they are as good as Heinz.

I buy the ones with the blue band saying British Recipe, mind you, I put a little chili powder in, and always a dash of HP sauce..🤗

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

i’ve just had beans on toast..

my farts stink to high heaven!

bob.

I will alert the media. 

Tact and social etiquette remain your two strongest traits. 👍🏼

• Haha 1

I can still get baked beans at Friendship for just under 50 baht.

The worst increase for me is Branston Pickle. It was always expensive around 150 baht but now 223 baht !  Sad to have to give it up.

Edited by Henryford

I cut down on baked beans after seeing on the label how much SUGAR they contained. 

All the same, food in Thailand is not that great. With less Farangs compared to Asians coming to Thailand, the availability of Western food has tended to worsen. Baked beans and bacon are rare in hotel breakfasts these days.

18 minutes ago, transam said:

I buy the ones with the blue band saying British Recipe, mind you, I put a little chili powder in, and always a dash of HP sauce..🤗

Tried both recipes - both awful now. I don't think the taste is any different, just smaller beans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Tried both recipes - both awful now. I don't think the taste is any different, just smaller beans.

Add a little chilli powder and a touch of HP sauce, I also cut up a tomato into small pieces, stir it all up, microwave, I like it.....🤗

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Add a little chilli powder and a touch of HP sauce, I also cut up a tomato into small pieces, stir it all up, microwave, I like it.....🤗

Meanwhile, somewhere in Merrye Englande...

Screenshot2024-04-08152425.png.0030b64714a65a363f65248897a9e8bc.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

You are retired in Thailand and you can't find the time to bake your own beans? Let that sink in for a while.

And a pressure cooker would turn the time into minimal.   If single or married here, people really should invest in something like and Instant Pot 7 in 1 cooker.  For slow & fast cooking.  Expensive here, but worth it, as does a lot.   That and a toaster/convection oven/air fryer (call it what you want) would just about be all you need, and small footprint on your kitchen counter.   Even for you condo/hotel room dwellers.   Worth every baht.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, transam said:

Ayam, British recipe baked beans, which have the smaller navy beans, similar to Heinz, are 49 bht, sometimes 45 bht at Tesco....... 🤗

48 BAHT in Friendship but scuba should be aware of of this price already 🤔

1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

Not before time, it’s children's food. 😂 

I don't think so, how come baked beans are usually incorporated in a full English breakfast.....?  :licklips:

• Thumbs Up 1

The Op would not be much better off buying a streetside meal for 59 baht. That's mostly rice. The beans or side would be much less then what he got in the can of beans in this size.

Of course, there's always free water at the stall so he saves a bit there. Assuming it's filtered and not tap water. If in doubt, just fill up your bottle at the big c food court free water machine.

Edited by JimTripper

Ayam English recipe, usually 49b at Big C, sometimes on sale for 45b.  Free deliver from online.  Much less sugar than the red label cans and taste better.

For some reason, Lotus jacked them up recently to 59b (avoid) for same 425g can.  Ludicrous.

23 hours ago, transam said:

I don't think so, how come baked beans are usually incorporated in a full English breakfast.....?  :licklips:

A full Brazilian for breakfast, that’s best.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sheist said:

Ayam English recipe, usually 49b at Big C, sometimes on sale for 45b.  Free deliver from online.  Much less sugar than the red label cans and taste better.

For some reason, Lotus jacked them up recently to 59b (avoid) for same 425g can.  Ludicrous.

Big C and Topps will jack up the price imminently