Cases of Legionnaires’ disease found among foreign tourists in Hua Hin

image.jpeg

Officials in Prachuap Khiri Khan have intensified their surveillance of Legionnaires’ disease after identifying five cases among foreign nationals in the region.

The developments were discussed in a recent meeting chaired by Kittipong Sukhaphakul, Deputy Governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan, which saw attendance from Dr. Wara Selawattanakul, the Provincial Public Health Doctor, and representatives from related agencies.

The meeting aimed to review the status of significant infectious diseases within the area, particularly noting the emergence of Legionnaires’ disease cases from February 9 to March 18, 2024.

The reported cases include one Myanmar national residing in the Sam Roi Yot district and four foreign tourists living in Hua Hin, with two hailing from the Netherlands, one from Sweden, and one from Germany.

By Online Reporter

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-04-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, webfact said:

four foreign tourists living in Hua Hin

"living" as year round or just sixty days ? Did they develop the disease here in Thailand or bring it with them?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Officials in Prachuap Khiri Khan have intensified their surveillance of Legionnaires’ disease after identifying five cases among foreign nationals in the region.

The developments were discussed in a recent meeting chaired by Kittipong Sukhaphakul, Deputy Governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan, which saw attendance from Dr. Wara Selawattanakul, the Provincial Public Health Doctor, and representatives from related agencies.

The meeting aimed to review the status of significant infectious diseases within the area, particularly noting the emergence of Legionnaires’ disease cases from February 9 to March 18, 2024.

The reported cases include one Myanmar national residing in the Sam Roi Yot district and four foreign tourists living in Hua Hin, with two hailing from the Netherlands, one from Sweden, and one from Germany.

By Online Reporter

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-04-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

Cases of Legionnaires’ disease found among foreign tourists in Hua Hin

By
 Online Reporter
 -
April 8, 2024
435325160_847085027462827_13443681077344

These individuals, who were staying in a mix of accommodations including hotels, condominiums, and guesthouses, have prompted a thorough investigation and control measures by the Provincial Public Health Office.

Efforts include surveying and sampling water from the residences and hotels involved, inspecting Hua Hin’s municipal water system infrastructure, and identifying potential sites of contamination.

435394365_847086800795983_25679557338832

Legionnaires’ disease, a bacterial infection presenting symptoms akin to the flu such as fever, headache, and severe cases leading to pneumonia, is spread through airborne droplets and the aspiration of contaminated water.

Notably, it cannot be transmitted from person to person, but the risk of outbreaks necessitates vigilant monitoring. In response to the detected cases, Hua Hin Hospital and Bangkok Hospital – Hua Hin are coordinating to screen for new instances of the disease, including tests for the genetic material of the Legionella bacteria.

Deputy Governor Kittipong Sukhaphakul has emphasized the importance of maintaining standard chlorine levels in the municipal water supply while awaiting the results of the water sample tests. Despite the disease not being highly transmissible among people, a significant outbreak could potentially impact the region’s tourism sector. 

Forget the health concerns. They are more worried about damaging tourism dollars

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Dirty air con units? I had my 4 air-con units professionally cleaned yesterday. It took 5 guys all day, the units were completely stripped down, inside they were absolutely filthy, the last cleaning was 5 years ago. It cost me 10,000 Baht which included one new fan motor and the raising of one compressor unit from the ground to the outside wall as well as plastic shrouds for the coolant pipes coming from the compressor units to the inside units. I considered the service cheap as they had to drive from Surin, 50 Km from my house. The effects were immediate, I had to raise the temperature settings as running on the old settings proved too cold, so in the long run it saves money. I can imagine this is a much neglected service in rented condos and rooms. 

Fair enough price considering all the work and parts.

My guy told me 'next time, full service' after 9 years I think it is. Unit will be taken down rather than washed while up on the wall as it usually is. 

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Fair enough price considering all the work and parts.

My guy told me 'next time, full service' after 9 years I think it is. Unit will be taken down rather than washed while up on the wall as it usually is. 

Yes, all the units were taken apart, including the compressor units. The boss of the group said it should be done every year but that seems a bit exaggerated to me, every 3 years for a complete clean seems reasonable, I clean the filters myself every 6 months but that's my limit, the innards looked really complicated.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Dirty air con units? I had my 4 air-con units professionally cleaned yesterday. It took 5 guys all day, the units were completely stripped down, inside they were absolutely filthy, the last cleaning was 5 years ago. It cost me 10,000 Baht which included one new fan motor and the raising of one compressor unit from the ground to the outside wall as well as plastic shrouds for the coolant pipes coming from the compressor units to the inside units. I considered the service cheap as they had to drive from Surin, 50 Km from my house. The effects were immediate, I had to raise the temperature settings as running on the old settings proved too cold, so in the long run it saves money. I can imagine this is a much neglected service in rented condos and rooms. 

Well done.

Here on Samui I cannot find any a/c company that will give me scheduled maintenance on the units in the villas.

When I ask, 'what's wrong with it' is the reply.

We try and keep a schedule of when they were last serviced so that we can book the next one but then the a/c folk are 'too busy' when we call them.

In reality, they want to install new ones in new builds, of which there are a lot on the island.

21 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, all the units were taken apart, including the compressor units. The boss of the group said it should be done every year but that seems a bit exaggerated to me, every 3 years for a complete clean seems reasonable, I clean the filters myself every 6 months but that's my limit, the innards looked really complicated.

It's not correct, you have to clean it every year, if you don't do it I would pay more for electricity and the performance is very very mediocre.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Legionaire's disease is caused by a naturally-occurring bacteria that gets aerosolized in contaminated air conditioners.

It is not contagious and typically infects older people who are susceptible to respiratory infections.  

Treatment is via antibiotics just like other forms of pneumonia.

I don't know why this is a story, other than that hotels and building managers should follow proper maintenance of all equipment.  -Unless Thais want to start a panic blaming foreigners.

Not contagious? A friend of mine died at the age of 50 in perfect health from legionnaire's disease in New Delhi

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Still, I marvel that in a country like Thailand with high temperature and high humidity and lots of hotels, this doesn't happen much anymore, after all, the conditions are ideal for this.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Normal recommendation is about every six months (cleaned on wall - only outer case removed - power wash with detergent).  And they normally need this cleaning and you will notice colder air.  Only costs about 600 baht from most stores and about an hours work for both units.  Take a look at the water coming down from wall unit if is any doubt of the need for cleaning.

Absolutely. We have ours cleaned every six months too. No mess, the guy fixes a large plastic bag underneath the units to catch the dust. Noticeable difference in performance afterwards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Normal recommendation is about every six months (cleaned on wall - only outer case removed - power wash with detergent).  And they normally need this cleaning and you will notice colder air.  Only costs about 600 baht from most stores and about an hours work for both units.  Take a look at the water coming down from wall unit if is any doubt of the need for cleaning.

I lived in Samut Phrakan for a brief period the filter was black after 1 month. 

The car was covered in soot every day.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Legionaire's disease is caused by a naturally-occurring bacteria that gets aerosolized in contaminated air conditioners.

It is not contagious and typically infects older people who are susceptible to respiratory infections.  

I don't know why this is a story, other than that hotels and building managers should follow proper maintenance of all equipment.  -Unless Thais want to start a panic blaming foreigners.

It is a killer, 1 in 10 die.........🤕

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just open the cover of the AC in your next 5 hotels, you will find the filters are extremely dirty, even it's like a 5 minute job to remove and clean those. 9/10 times I get a cold or get sick, it is after I stayed at a hotel.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

This exactly. We had two old units, they had been Frankenstein'ed a few times because the owner at the time was cheap.

Decided to get them cleaned, $800 per unit, stripped down and washed. The amount of dirt/dust/grime turned the water black for minutes.

Immediate results. The guy said every month use the hose here and here, Bangkok is dirty. No trouble since.

2 hours ago, transam said:

It is a killer, 1 in 10 die.........🤕

Sure.  But just catching Legionaire's Disease is an indicator that the person is already not healthy.

We've all probably been exposed to Legionaire's bacteria, and lots of others germs & viruses (ahem, Covid), but our bodies probably just sloughed them off.

You're going have to just believe me on this.  My mom was a forensic pathologist who worked on isolating and identifying the Legionaire's bacterium when it first struck in the US.

1 minute ago, Iron Tongue said:

Sure.  But just catching Legionaire's Disease is an indicator that the person is already not healthy.

We've all probably been exposed to Legionaire's bacteria, and lots of others germs & viruses (ahem, Covid), but our bodies probably just sloughed them off.

You're going have to just believe me on this.  My mom was a forensic pathologist who worked on isolating and identifying the Legionaire's bacterium when it first struck in the US.

You are not your mum, and I also think we are all not 100% medically perfect, so if one catches this disease, one must hope luck is on ones side.......😉

5 hours ago, BE88 said:

Not contagious? A friend of mine died at the age of 50 in perfect health from legionnaire's disease in New Delhi

A contagious disease is one that transmitted from one human to another.

Legionnaires is not a contagious disease:

"Legionellosis is not contagious, meaning it is not spread from person-to-person. Disease transmission primarily occurs through inhaling Legionella-contaminated, aerosolized water. While rare, exposure is also possible from breathing in (i.e., aspirating) Legionella contaminated soil or while drinking water."

https://www.osha.gov/legionnaires-disease/medical-information

Edited by Enoon
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

It comes not only from air conditioners but also from stagnant water in water pipes and especially in hotels with water in the pipes at a temperature of 35ºC, the bacteria decompose well there.

Correct, from what I've heard and I know someone who became infected with Legionnaires many years ago - it is the water storage systems where it grows in abundance and you breathe it in while it's aerosolised.

Probably doesn't sound like a familiar process to most people but it can be?

People catch it while taking a shower, you can't help but breathe it in when taking a shower, if it's there then it gets into your lungs.

When there's an outbreak they kind of need to find the source, where did these tourists all stay since their arrival, this is not so common that it infects multiple people to make them ill enough to be noticed on a regular basis - so there will likely be a common source for it and an epidemiologist will amost certainly be looking for the source of it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Agree 1