Cases of Legionnaires’ disease found among foreign tourists in Hua Hin

23 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Legionaire's disease is caused by a naturally-occurring bacteria that gets aerosolized in contaminated air conditioners.

It is not contagious and typically infects older people who are susceptible to respiratory infections.  

Treatment is via antibiotics just like other forms of pneumonia.

I don't know why this is a story, other than that hotels and building managers should follow proper maintenance of all equipment.  -Unless Thais want to start a panic blaming foreigners.

Or, unless foreigners decided to start a panic about poorly maintained air-conditioning systems in hotels, guesthouses etc., in Hua hin, or elsewhere, maybe?

Far better to blame foreigners first than check your own systems.............thoroughly.......

meaning .............. properly,...............

meaning ............ paying for experienced AC qualified maintainers, ..........

meaning,............. Do they, - AC qualified maintainers,  even exist here in Thailand?

50 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, although Legionnaire's can theoretically be transmitted via air conditioning, it wouldn't normally be found in your typical home or even hotel air conditioning. 

It requires firstly a contaminated water source and then the inhalation of aerosolized water droplets from this contaminated source. 

That's not a scenario typically found in most air conditioning systems.

As the article below puts it:

CAN AIR CONDITIONING CAUSE LEGIONNAIRES’ DISEASE?

I think what fuels the idea that air conditioning is a danger for contacting this disease is that the first diagnosed mass outbreak of Legionnaire's came via centralised air conditioning vents in a system that used a big water tank on the roof of the building, with cooling towers that then sent chilled air (still containing aerosolized water droplets) throughout the building.

As I say, that's not a typical configuration for most AC systems.

While they're not in homes, water chiller tower are used in malls in Thailand, but even then the chilled water are never aerosolized indoors, they pass through the cold split unit in sealed pipes

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, although Legionnaire's can theoretically be transmitted via air conditioning, it wouldn't normally be found in your typical home or even hotel air conditioning. 

It requires firstly a contaminated water source and then the inhalation of aerosolized water droplets from this contaminated source. 

That's not a scenario typically found in most air conditioning systems.

As the article below puts it:

CAN AIR CONDITIONING CAUSE LEGIONNAIRES’ DISEASE?

I think what fuels the idea that air conditioning is a danger for contacting this disease is that the first diagnosed mass outbreak of Legionnaire's came via centralised air conditioning vents in a system that used a big water tank on the roof of the building, with cooling towers that then sent chilled air (still containing aerosolized water droplets) throughout the building.

As I say, that's not a typical configuration for most AC systems.

Thanks. I was a kid when that thing went down and I still associated the disease with air conditioning without allowing for modern advancements in HVAC systems.