Banking rules face scan for transactions over 50k THB

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I find their app generally time consuming for any transaction....more often than not have to close it and open it a few times mid transaction, even for scanning in a shop or transferring small amounts...seems to continually freeze up

Yes, this is typical. 

It seems more common if you have a weak cellular signal. 

On 4/9/2024 at 7:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Heres my experience with this...   NDID (National Digital ID) - its a government requirement. 

SCB - Foreigners cannot register with NDID - but can sign a waver that they are not held accountable for any fraudulent activity on their account (or something to that effect) - then transactions to your normal limits are permitted. 

Kasikorn - Foreigners cannot register with NDID (I'm not sure if a disclamer can be signed).

Bangkok Bank - Foreigners can register with NDID - I have uses this successfully to transfer more than 50k baht. 

Facial recognition isn't a government requirement but from the Central Bank of Thailand.

Got nothing to do with NDID.

• Like 1

More biometric bull sheet.
Ive had no problems transferring money for the last 40 years and I dont need or want a face scan to do it now.

Looks like I'll be changing banks to SCB as they dont require it? 

On 4/9/2024 at 7:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Heres my experience with this...   NDID (National Digital ID) - its a government requirement. 

SCB - Foreigners cannot register with NDID - but can sign a waver that they are not held accountable for any fraudulent activity on their account (or something to that effect) - then transactions to your normal limits are permitted. 

Kasikorn - Foreigners cannot register with NDID (I'm not sure if a disclamer can be signed).

Bangkok Bank - Foreigners can register with NDID - I have uses this successfully to transfer more than 50k baht. 

The facial scan that some banks use for foreigners' account transactions is not "NDID", that only applies Thais as it requires a Thai ID, facial scan does not.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 4/12/2024 at 7:49 AM, Kenny202 said:

No point bickering about any of this stuff about rules or what is written for any Thai bank, government office, immigration etc. What is written and what actually happens / their knowledge of their own rules at your particular branch are usually 2 different things. Little fiefdoms. These places just don't seem to have any single information center....usually comes down to what the staff are telling you correct or not. Strange because Thailand seems to be the HUB of everything else? Apparently these head offices have no information HUB.

No point saying people are lying or starting these long drawn out smarty pants competitions as everyone has different experiences. Often ruins the many good informative replies that get lost in the noise

Agreed, its not as if we are not used to different things being told by different branches of the same organisation is it? Look at the differences in requirements that people experience when applying for extensions of stay?

Look at the Amphurs that say they can't conduct a foreign/Thai marriage.  The banks that say you can't open an account without a work permit etc. etc.......................................... nothing new really is there?

• Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 6:09 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I have the BKK bank app and transferred money using face scan. 

It's time consuming and doesn't always work, annoying. 

It takes a few seconds longer and has always worked.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 6:29 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

I have scanned my face with Bangkok Bank, Kasikornbank & Bank of Ayudhaya (KMA Krungsri).

With Kasikorn?  Doubt it.  How can you do that with a service that is not available to, or required for, foreigners with Kasikorn?  Krungsri and BBL, yes, bit not Kasikorn.

I have Kasikorn, Krungsri and BKK. 

The Kasikorn app has worked flawlessly for years, and I never had to get a face scan. I make transfers over 50K every month with it. 

The Krunsri app has worked okay for a few years, then I started getting messages that I needed to go in and get scanned, and then about a month ago the app quit working altogether and the screen indicated I had to go in and get scanned, so I did, they turned in on and no problems since.  I make transfers over 50K a couple times a year with it.  

I do not use the BKK app, because it is a joint account, and I was lead to believe I could not use the app with a joint account.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

With Kasikorn?  Doubt it.  How can you do that with a service that is not available to, or required for, foreigners with Kasikorn?  Krungsri and BBL, yes, bit not Kasikorn.

I don’t accurately recall , quite likely K Bank does not need it however the account I have with them seldom has over 20k in it so I wouldn’t have hit the 50 general limit for unverified transactions. So since I’ve been in to several banks I assumed that all of them had implemented stronger controls.

15 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Goodness gracious what bank forces you to get face scans?

I put my card in the ATM enter my pin press ENGLISH and then Withdrawal.

Boom.

No face scan required.  Rubbish. 🤣

Erm.... you've missed the whole point of the thread...    This is about online transfers (mobile Banking)....

32 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I avoid the nonsense by getting a cashier's check in my name and walking it over to my other bank.  Funds usually available the next day.

That doesn't work if you are overseas.... 

An online transfer takes a couple of minutes...  going to the bank and getting a cashiers check takes significantly longer... and doing so a few times per month would get tiresome extremely quickly - hence, the onset of online and mBanking in the first place...

& the funds are available / transfered instantly.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Boom.

Look closely on top of the ATM - multiple cameras now

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

UOB seems to be one of the last bank to still has online banking through webpage

I thought that too, but I used Bangkok banks online banking 3 days ago to transfer 500k thb. Took seconds and seconds later it was in my SCB account

24 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Look closely on top of the ATM - multiple cameras now

Thats not for 'face scanning' though - its for general security in much the same manner as CCTV. 

i.e. If you use an ATM with your fullface Motorcycle helmet on, or IF someone else uses your ATM the transaction won't be rejected because their face is different as it would be using the mobile app.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That doesn't work if you are overseas.... 

An online transfer takes a couple of minutes...  going to the bank and getting a cashiers check takes significantly longer... and doing so a few times per month would get tiresome extremely quickly - hence, the onset of online and mBanking in the first place...

& the funds are available / transfered instantly.

A couple minutes? Does that include finding your glasses? 

On 4/15/2024 at 5:23 PM, Startmeup said:

More biometric bull sheet.
Ive had no problems transferring money for the last 40 years and I dont need or want a face scan to do it now.

Looks like I'll be changing banks to SCB as they dont require it? 

Kasikorn does not require it (for foreigners).

I don’t like the face scan either, nor the daily limits, or limits per transaction.

But presumably they have introduced all this stuff because a lot of citizens are just not very literate and just give their phone + passcode to strangers that can then steal their money (without this face scan requirement).

I recently asked a Thai how they managed to log into LINE from their friend’s phone, and the reply was that there’s a guy that help them with all their phone issues. Probably this is quite normal, and probably these “computer wizards” get a lot of sensitive data that would allow them to steal a lot of funds…

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lkn said:

Kasikorn does not require it (for foreigners).

I don’t like the face scan either, nor the daily limits, or limits per transaction.

But presumably they have introduced all this stuff because a lot of citizens are just not very literate and just give their phone + passcode to strangers that can then steal their money (without this face scan requirement).

I recently asked a Thai how they managed to log into LINE from their friend’s phone, and the reply was that there’s a guy that help them with all their phone issues. Probably this is quite normal, and probably these “computer wizards” get a lot of sensitive data that would allow them to steal a lot of funds…

For this to make sense, it would require that your face be scanned and matched to scan the bank has on record to complete a transfer, and I do not believe that is the case, if it were, one would only be able to complete a transfer on a device that had a facial recognition system. 

I think it may be for identifying people with multiple accounts under different names. 

On 4/12/2024 at 12:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

..... this is why there is often so much conflict (on this forum) between what can be done and those stating what can't because they read it on a web-page that contains errors.

May well be a reduction when Google moves to biometrics, starting shortly on payments.

Extract rom an email.

"In the coming weeks, there will be a change in how you confirm your setting when you choose biometric verification. For mobile devices, when you’re asked to confirm this setting, you’ll use your fingerprint or face instead of your Google Account password." 

17 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Boom.

Indeed. Not all banks are forcing facial recognition. I can access phone and my bank's app with pin numbers without a problem, my daily limit is 200K.

There is cameras on ATMs but not necessarily related to accounts, possible some have that option, wouldn't know. I never use my own banks ATMs, only a variety of others.