Banking rules face scan for transactions over 50k THB

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

For this to make sense, it would require that your face be scanned and matched to scan the bank has on record to complete a transfer, and I do not believe that is the case, if it were, one would only be able to complete a transfer on a device that had a facial recognition system. 

I think it may be for identifying people with multiple accounts under different names. 

Some banks require initial facial recognition to be at the branch or ATM,

It is mostly to deter mule accounts where some poor folks open an account and sell to scammers for 500-1000 baht, and scammers use it to receive money via phone scams or online gambling,

the facial recognition just makes it more difficult to transfer out to other accounts in bulk,  these accounts get shut down often as victims report them.

If the app lets the user do the initial scan themselves there's no protection against the scammer in control of the accounts scanning their own face instead of the account holder's name on the book, unless the banks has access to the Thai ID database they can compare against

It also protects in case of compromised phone to prevent hackers from emptying accounts

11 minutes ago, digbeth said:

It is mostly to deter mule accounts where some poor folks open an account and sell to scammers for 500-1000 baht, and scammers use it to receive money via phone scams or online gambling,

the facial recognition just makes it more difficult to transfer out to other accounts in bulk,  these accounts get shut down often as victims report them.

If the app lets the user do the initial scan themselves there's no protection against the scammer in control of the accounts scanning their own face instead of the account holder's name on the book, unless the banks has access to the Thai ID database they can compare against

It also protects in case of compromised phone to prevent hackers from emptying accounts

Biometric check on mobile transactions is a requirement by the Thai Central Bank.

That some banks have problems implementing it is another thing.

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

How does it protect in case of compromised phone to prevent hackers from emptying accounts? 

Does one have to have a device with a facial recognition system to make a transfer?

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Does one have to have a device with a facial recognition system to make a transfer?

You need a phone with a selfie camera.

I think you are conflating the phone’s biometrics with the new face scan requirements.

For the bank’s face scan, you need to have previously visited the branch, where they will take your photo, and when you use the app, they compare the live video from your selfie camera with the photo on record.

It may even give you instructions such as “smile and show teeth” or “blink 3 times”.

How easily the recognition can be fooled, I do not know, but it should prevent someone who obtains your phone + passcode to empty your accounts.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How does it protect in case of compromised phone to prevent hackers from emptying accounts? 

I can transfer up to my daily set limit with Bangkok Banks Bualuang M-Banking phone App and its facial recognition system (whatever you want to call it) - it scans my face before any transaction greater than 49,999 baht is permitted. 

With Kasikorn and SCB - I can only transfer up to 49,000 baht in any single transaction, and there is no specific App facial recognition (just the facial recognition on the phone to log in).

25th every month is payday.

I transfer from BKK to Kbank to clear my credit card.

last month was 180k, 240k the month before.

When did this face stuff become a thing ?

FWIW.... I do not do banking via my phone.

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

25th every month is payday.

I transfer from BKK to Kbank to clear my credit card.

last month was 180k, 240k the month before.

When did this face stuff become a thing ?

FWIW.... I do not do banking via my phone.

The Face ID thing is for m-Banking (Mobile Phone Banking only) and is not a requirement for Online  Banking (Internet Banking).

The issue I had with SCB is that they were shutting down their Online Banking system and limiting their M-Banking Transfers to 49,999 Baht (unless we signed a waiver absolving them of any responsibility for fraudulent transfers - which I didn't want to sign)...  so I couldn't transfer larger amounts from my 'main account'....   I thus switched it to Bangkok Bank and can transfer up to my daily limit with m-Banking.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Face ID thing is for m-Banking (Mobile Phone Banking only) and is not a requirement for Online  Banking (Internet Banking).

The issue I had with SCB is that they were shutting down their Online Banking system and limiting their M-Banking Transfers to 49,999 Baht (unless we signed a waiver absolving them of any responsibility for fraudulent transfers - which I didn't want to sign)...  so I couldn't transfer larger amounts from my 'main account'....   I thus switched it to Bangkok Bank and can transfer up to my daily limit with m-Banking.

Nice, thanks for clarifying.