Pattaya Books (2nd hand)

roger101

Years ago there were a few 2nd hand bookshops from one where terminal 21 is now to  2 bookshops in Jomtien and then the best one above Tops on Klang and 2nd Road.

Over the years they all seem to have gone. Jeremy's was taken over by Dave of Canterbury Tales but even that has moved. I still shop at Canterbury Tales but I find it harder to find the books I'm looking for.

I tend to find a novelist that I like then read the complete series (if I can find all the books).

So, are there any bookshops that I've missed?

I even tried Dasa in Bangkok (sent by post) but for some reason, I'm having trouble with the website. So although they have books that I want I can't seem to order them.

And there is nothing like browsing through a bookshop in the hope of finding a gem.

if you're able to travel to bangkok there's an excellent, long standing, second hand book shop on soi rambutri, next to chansongkram temple. helpful, friendly owner, huge selection of reasonably priced books, he'll buy your books for an ok price and will pay half price for any returned books bought his shop. closed mondays.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

So long story short, according to the map in the video he moved it from from Soi Buakhao to somewhere in the middle of the Isaan. And cut off the caffe and hotel. Leaving only second hand books.

Solid business moved. 🫡🫡🫡

You could have said straight away that this business is no longer active.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

You could have said straight away that this business is no longer active.

Hi Sherm, it's the best used bookshop in Pattaya and it's frequented by those of us who actually live here.

• Confused 2

I used to know the owner of Pattaya Beach Books, which was, at one time, located above Tops on Klang / 2nd Road.

Many years ago he was rightly worried about the number of people using eBooks increasing and thus reducing his business.

Rightly so as it transpires.

Having said that, I almost never buy a conventional book any more, preferring my eReader  for convenience and cost.

eBooks are generally cheaper than paper books, there are many free books online and, I can carry over 100 books when travelling.

The cost of the eReader itself was very soon defrayed

@roger101 Have you considered making the change?  It worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope I'm ot off topic here - Saw that someone else posted a suggestion to try an eReader.

Absolutely a great idea. 

I spent years trawling 2nd hand bookshops in the USA, Singapore, and Thailand. 

Like shopping for CDs, it was a fun diversion. 

Now, 99% of my CDs are gone, and I have bought maybe 5 books in the past few years. 

I do all of my reading on either a Kindle or a Tablet. 

I no longer have to stuff my luggage with books. 

More importantly - The devices are backlit. 

I no longer have to play around with reading lamps. 

(Sounds like a small matter, but it makes things so much easier. )

Like so many others, I spend a lot of time on my laptop or reading.

Because the devices are backlit, I honestly never get eye strain or headaches.  

You don't have to purchase a Kindle reader. 

The Kindle app allows access to phones, computers, and tablets. 

I do recommend a Kindle Reader - They are more comfortable to hold, and have great battery life. 

Mine is already 6 or 7 years old. Still works well. A basic model is fine, unless you prefer color, and/or you read textbooks or artbooks. 

Some of the textbooks may requires newer models to work properly. 

Most libraries seem to have invested $$ in electronic books - especially with Covid. 

So, if you still have ties back home, you may be able to get a library card for access. 

There are some services that you can pay to subscribe to. 

I had Amazon Kindle Unlimited. Now over $10/month. Don't recommend it. 

You should be able to find a better service with a bit of Google research. 

As for my books - They're still good for killing spiders. If I can find my wife to help.

Good luck ...

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Check out Better World Books online.

Quality used books.

I looked and when I saw the prices I thought "not for me'".

I went back to Dasa Books today and it was working fine. I don't know what the problem was yesterday. Anyway, I've placed an order for 7 books, which will all over a period of time end up at Canterbury Tales.

19 hours ago, kbb said:

I hope I'm ot off topic here - Saw that someone else posted a suggestion to try an eReader.

Absolutely a great idea. 

I spent years trawling 2nd hand bookshops in the USA, Singapore, and Thailand. 

Like shopping for CDs, it was a fun diversion. 

Now, 99% of my CDs are gone, and I have bought maybe 5 books in the past few years. 

I do all of my reading on either a Kindle or a Tablet. 

I no longer have to stuff my luggage with books. 

More importantly - The devices are backlit. 

I no longer have to play around with reading lamps. 

(Sounds like a small matter, but it makes things so much easier. )

Like so many others, I spend a lot of time on my laptop or reading.

Because the devices are backlit, I honestly never get eye strain or headaches.  

You don't have to purchase a Kindle reader. 

The Kindle app allows access to phones, computers, and tablets. 

I do recommend a Kindle Reader - They are more comfortable to hold, and have great battery life. 

Mine is already 6 or 7 years old. Still works well. A basic model is fine, unless you prefer color, and/or you read textbooks or artbooks. 

Some of the textbooks may requires newer models to work properly. 

Most libraries seem to have invested $$ in electronic books - especially with Covid. 

So, if you still have ties back home, you may be able to get a library card for access. 

There are some services that you can pay to subscribe to. 

I had Amazon Kindle Unlimited. Now over $10/month. Don't recommend it. 

You should be able to find a better service with a bit of Google research. 

As for my books - They're still good for killing spiders. If I can find my wife to help.

Good luck ...

Agree entirely. 👍

If one decides on a Kindle, go for the Paperwhite variant - you can read it in any light and the battery charge lasts for weeks! 

Also there are many books available on the various free sites.

Finally, if you do opt for a Kindle, I recommend https://www.bookbub.com/ 

I signed up and get one email per week with very cheap book recommendations. 

Edited by VBF

Yes , I'm not used to this online type of reading and still like the "real" books !

Having said that ,I do find it difficult to obtain hard copy books of graphs , statistics and analytics and the Psychometrics of numbers etc unless I read the E books .

Currently I'm going to analyse how many of  the Dental clinics in Pattaya use the word SMILE in their name and will download some graphs and charts books online 

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes , I'm not used to this online type of reading and still like the "real" books !

Having said that ,I do find it difficult to obtain hard copy books of graphs , statistics and analytics and the Psychometrics of numbers etc unless I read the E books .

Currently I'm going to analyse how many of  the Dental clinics in Pattaya use the word SMILE in their name and will download some graphs and charts books online 

Goodness - And I thought I was an anorak!  Still, if it keeps you "SMILING" knock yourself out. 😆

More seriously, it took me a little while to get used to reading books on my Kindle - now I prefer it to a paperback (which was my former choice) for several reasons.

May I suggest persevering? 

You know it makes sense Rodney 😋

Nothing for me will ever replace real books

In 4 months in Thailand around the pool not once do I recall anyone will a kindle or whatever they are but saw stacks of people with real books

Somewhere there is a lesson

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

Nothing for me will ever replace real books

In 4 months in Thailand around the pool not once do I recall anyone will a kindle or whatever they are but saw stacks of people with real books

Somewhere there is a lesson

Have to disagree with you there Chivas.

One of the reasons I like my Kindle is that, when sat by the pool, the Kindle is easier to read, less likely to get affected by sunlight and heat and offers me a choice of as many books as I can load on it. Poolside reading is a big thing for me too.

Mind you, in agreement with you, I don't see too many other people doing the same....maybe I'm just a trendsetter?  :whistling:

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Have to disagree with you there Chivas.

One of the reasons I like my Kindle is that, when sat by the pool, the Kindle is easier to read, less likely to get affected by sunlight and heat and offers me a choice of as many books as I can load on it. Poolside reading is a big thing for me too.

Mind you, in agreement with you, I don't see too many other people doing the same....maybe I'm just a trendsetter?  :whistling:

Definate trendsetter lol

• Haha 1