Why Did Hamas Attack Israel on Oct 7th 2023 a Historical Perspective

they ve been fightig for 100s of years all arabs are unhappy cos the dont have any thing to do except fighting and killinhg each other and they will be fighting fpr 100s more years ,iran will prolly cause WW3 in the end

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Over 3,000 rockets actually, that's a lot right Steven?

And: "The Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas since 2007 following a violent takeover..." 

Was the Gaza strip turned over voluntarily?

And Hamas are terrorists, not militants.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And: "The Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas since 2007 following a violent takeover..." 

Was the Gaza strip turned over voluntarily?

And Hamas are terrorists, not militants.

Sort of:

Hamas has controlled Gaza since 2007 when it ousted the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Authority in a violent takeover after winning the Palestinian elections the previous year.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/21/gaza-strip-israel-hamas-war-demographics

• Haha 1

Israel actively helped create and supported Hamas, in order to weaken Arafat's PLO. The strategy was to use this engineered terrorism threat to justify retaliation and the implementation of the occupation as per the Greater Israel plan (cf. Oded Yinon's book The Zionist Plan for the Middle East, 1982) and stall the creation of a Palestinian state.

The Intercept wrote a good piece about it (pasting excerpts and the link below).

Andrew Higgins also wrote a very good article for The Wall Street Journal on the matter in 2009, How Israel Helped to Spawn Hamas, I am not posting it here as it is accessible behind a paywall, but I recommend it to those interested in furthering their knowledge on the issue.

BLOWBACK: HOW ISRAEL WENT FROM HELPING CREATE HAMAS TO BOMBING IT
“Hamas, to my great regret, is Israel’s creation,” Avner Cohen, a former Israeli religious affairs official who worked in Gaza for more than two decades, told the Wall Street Journal in 2009. Back in the mid-1980s, Cohen even wrote an official report to his superiors warning them not to play divide-and-rule in the Occupied Territories, by backing Palestinian Islamists against Palestinian secularists. “I … suggest focusing our efforts on finding ways to break up this monster before this reality jumps in our face,” he wrote.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/19/hamas-israel-palestine-conflict/

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Israel actively helped create and supported Hamas, in order to weaken Arafat's PLO. The strategy was to use this engineered terrorism threat to justify retaliation and the implementation of the occupation as per the Greater Israel plan (cf. Oded Yinon's book The Zionist Plan for the Middle East, 1982) and stall the creation of a Palestinian state.

The Intercept wrote a good piece about it (pasting excerpts and the link below).

Andrew Higgins also wrote a very good article for The Wall Street Journal on the matter in 2009, How Israel Helped to Spawn Hamas, I am not posting it here as it is accessible behind a paywall, but I recommend it to those interested in furthering their knowledge on the issue.

BLOWBACK: HOW ISRAEL WENT FROM HELPING CREATE HAMAS TO BOMBING IT
“Hamas, to my great regret, is Israel’s creation,” Avner Cohen, a former Israeli religious affairs official who worked in Gaza for more than two decades, told the Wall Street Journal in 2009. Back in the mid-1980s, Cohen even wrote an official report to his superiors warning them not to play divide-and-rule in the Occupied Territories, by backing Palestinian Islamists against Palestinian secularists. “I … suggest focusing our efforts on finding ways to break up this monster before this reality jumps in our face,” he wrote.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/19/hamas-israel-palestine-conflict/

Yeah right, written by Mehdi Hasan, don't find his stuff very credible although I am fully up to speed on the Israel and Hamas previous relationship.

Liberal MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan history of controversial rhetoric in spotlight amid hostile coverage of Israel

Inflammatory remarks he made in 2009 before becoming an MSNBC personality began circulating online again, when he compared non-Muslims to "animals" and linked homosexuals to "pedophiles" and "sexual deviants." New York Post reporter Jon Levine said it's "hard to imagine MSNBC allowing someone on television who said similar things about a different religion." 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberal-msnbc-host-mehdi-hasan-history-controversial-rhetoric-in-spotlight-amid-hostile-coverage-israel

MEHDI HASAN’S DECEITFUL DEFENSE OF AN ANTISEMITIC SCREED

https://www.camera.org/article/mehdi-hasans-pathetic-defense-of-an-antisemitic-screed/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yeah right, written by Mehdi Hasan, don't find his stuff very credible although I am fully up to speed on the Israel and Hamas previous relationship.

Liberal MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan history of controversial rhetoric in spotlight amid hostile coverage of Israel

Inflammatory remarks he made in 2009 before becoming an MSNBC personality began circulating online again, when he compared non-Muslims to "animals" and linked homosexuals to "pedophiles" and "sexual deviants." New York Post reporter Jon Levine said it's "hard to imagine MSNBC allowing someone on television who said similar things about a different religion." 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberal-msnbc-host-mehdi-hasan-history-controversial-rhetoric-in-spotlight-amid-hostile-coverage-israel

MEHDI HASAN’S DECEITFUL DEFENSE OF AN ANTISEMITIC SCREED

https://www.camera.org/article/mehdi-hasans-pathetic-defense-of-an-antisemitic-screed/

A word on the actual substance, maybe? Here is another source for you, Moonis Ahmar and Andrew Higgins:

How and why Israel helped create Hamas?
One, it was purely in the Israeli interest to support and patronise first Mujama al-Islamiya and then Hamas. It also means that like the US which created and nourished various Jihadi groups in Afghanistan and elsewhere, Israel cannot escape from the responsibility of creating Hamas. Two, Hamas’ rise and surge in 1990s and thereafter the weakening of PLO and the Palestinian community strengthened Israeli occupation over West Bank and the blockade of Gaza.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2302309/how-and-why-israel-helped-create-hamas

Edited by rattlesnake
Typo.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

A word on the actual substance, maybe? Here is another source for you, Moonis Ahmar and Andrew Higgins:

How and why Israel helped create Hamas?
One, it was purely in the Israeli interest to support and patronise first Mujama al-Islamiya and then Hamas. It also means that like the US which created and nourished various Jihadi groups in Afghanistan and elsewhere, Israel cannot escape from the responsibility of creating Hamas. Two, Hamas’ rise and surge in 1990s and thereafter the weakening of PLO and the Palestinian community strengthened Israeli occupation over West Bank and the blockade of Gaza.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2302309/how-and-why-israel-helped-create-hamas

A word on the actual substance, maybe

No need, read my post again: "I am fully up to speed on the Israel and Hamas previous relationship." I have discussed and provided numerous links months ago on this, too tedious for me to do it all again but certainly don't take that as a negative to you doing so, I was just pointing out the obvious bias of the author in your previous link. Your fresh link from a Pakistan author, well as you know Islamabad's support for the Hamas terrorists goes beyond the simply lending of 'moral, diplomatic and political support';

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

A word on the actual substance, maybe

No need, read my post again: "I am fully up to speed on the Israel and Hamas previous relationship." I have discussed and provided numerous links months ago on this, too tedious for me to do it all again but certainly don't take that as a negative to you doing so, I was just pointing out the obvious bias of the author in your previous link. Your fresh link from a Pakistan author, well as you know Islamabad's support for the Hamas terrorists goes beyond the simply lending of 'moral, diplomatic and political support';

This is such a divisive, contentious issue that there is bias, hyperbolic language and hatred on both sides. The best way to raise awareness and discuss this matter entails, in my opinion, providing views from all perspectives. Of course the aforementioned sources are biased, but they give essential context.

• Haha 1

Off topic exchange potentially derailing the actual topic has been removed.

The OP is clear, it is an original article that has been posted by our News team.

Direct any further questions on forum content to Support.

• Like 2

This is a good start, and also proves terrorism can be a good weapon to reach their goals, where latest Australia announced they might be willing to approve an Palestinian state. Why now? 

A little bit reading, but still compressed to actual facts, and for those who read might realize from being a freedomfighter to executive cruel terrorism on civilians, is not that far apart when desperation become larger than life.

"Zionist political violence refers to politically motivated violence or terrorism[1][2] perpetrated by Zionists. The term is used to describe violence committed by those who support the political movement of Zionism, and violence committed against opponents of Zionism. The violence often takes the form of terrorist attacks and has been directed against both Jewish and Arab targets. The most active period of most notable Zionist political violence began on June 30, 1924, through the 1940s, and continues to the present day, usually for the purpose of expanding Zionist settlements in Mandatory Palestine.[3]"

source Wikipedia 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionist_political_violence

Edited by Hummin

Because they are an extremist Islamic terrorist group and need to be wiped out. Which is precisely and correctly what Israel intends to see through. 👍

Israel  is just stage 1 in the terrorists eyes.  Later they have bigger fish to fry.  The world should get off oil and gas as soon as possible to deny them the money to finance their devious minds.  And the political correctness of the west will haunt them big time.  This problem will never go away.

5 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

That is only a small fraction of the whole story. It started with the end of WW2. I don't want to fill pages here but one reason for conflicts is that Israelis think they belong to the Western World. However, they are part of the Middle East. Similar to Saudis, Lebanese, Iranians eg. They have to learn to fit themselves in. They are not something special and should not be treated as to be.🙏

Well, even Shia and and Sunni is as diverse as Judaism is, even they all are brothers. Family in blood, so go figure

• Love It 1

Ban religion. 

Educate kids so they understand that religion is outdated and no longer needed. 

Make it an offence for parents, who are already brainwashed to believe the religious nonsense, to brainwash their kids.  This would break the cycle of belief in these ancient stories.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Ban religion. 

Educate kids so they understand that religion is outdated and no longer needed. 

Make it an offence for parents, who are already brainwashed to believe the religious nonsense, to brainwash their kids.  This would break the cycle of belief in these ancient stories.

If it wasnt religion, it would have been something else, thats how humans are.

Football hooligans, motorbike gangs, street gangs, or what ever we all need a fictional connection. Maybe not me or you, but everyone else semse to need something

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Well, even Shia and and Sunni is as diverse as Judaism is, even they all are brothers. Family in blood, so go figure

OP is referring to Israelis. Not to Jews !!

• Haha 1