If Living in Texas instead of Thailand: I would own guns...Big guns.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I see your point, but that only gives the people who don't wish to carry the right to. That leaves us to guess how many do. But in a state where you still need to get a permit the people getting them are likely to do so. Take New Jersey for example.

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2024/03/nj-concealed-handgun-permits-soared-after-bruen-ruling-scotus-second-amendment/

I need no Permit to Carry, anyway, in any state.

Why?

a. Guns, I have found, are just too heavy to carry around, especially when wearing shorts, or out walking/jogging, or while at the beach, swimming.

b. In PA, USA, I had a Permit to Carry, and I had a holster for my Colt 0.45 1911 Nickel Plated automatic (not the shiny finish!!!!).  The problem was that it was just too....HEAVY!

c.  Most people do not know how heavy a true Colt 0.45 can be, with a full clip, when hanging on a belt, even if wearing jeans.

d.  Also, one just feels EXCEEDINGLY STUPID walking around (away from the practice range), maybe at a fine-dining establishment, with expensive slacks, and a belt drooping on the right side due to hanging 1.1 kg from your trouser loops.  Just a bad look, folks!!!

This is why I will never need a Permit to Carry, in any state....maybe....

Please Note:

image.png.56cb5ed2c0e7569786912860dcf725d0.png

If you intend to walk around, with your gun full, instead of empty...then....

Please add 0.3 Kg to the weight I listed above, for a whopping 1.4 Kg total hanging off you.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I need no Permit to Carry, anyway, in any state.

Why?

a. Guns, I have found, are just too heavy to carry around, especially when wearing shorts, or out walking/jogging, or while at the beach, swimming.

b. In PA, USA, I had a Permit to Carry, and I had a holster for my Colt 0.45 1911 Nickel Plated automatic (not the shiny finish!!!!).  The problem was that it was just too....HEAVY!

c.  Most people do not know how heavy a true Colt 0.45 can be, with a full clip, when hanging on a belt, even if wearing jeans.

d.  Also, one just feels EXCEEDINGLY STUPID walking around (away from the practice range), maybe at a fine-dining establishment, with expensive slacks, and a belt drooping on the right side due to hanging 1.1 kg from your trouser loops.  Just a bad look, folks!!!

This is why I will never need a Permit to Carry, in any state....maybe....

Please Note:

image.png.56cb5ed2c0e7569786912860dcf725d0.png

If you intend to walk around, with your gun full, instead of empty...then....

Please add 0.3 Kg to the weight I listed above, for a whopping 1.4 Kg total hanging off you.

That a big gun to carry, and why I liked my Glock (19 ?), and I think the smallest 9mm at the time of theirs.  Didn't even have a holster for it, and was very comfy to carry in waist band of belted pants.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are likely more innocent people killed by gun violence in America than any other nation in the world. I would say by a factor of 10. 

Most gun crime in the US involves gangs and suicides. Mass shootings make it look the way you posted, but it's still a tiny percentage of gun crimes.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:35 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Before leaving the USA, many years ago in the late 70s, I owned a goodly number of guns, such as the Weatherby .460 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, Colt .45 911, and a number of others, including the quality equipment to automate reloading spent cartridges, too.

Then, I left for Asia, and I completely lost interest in gun ownership, which is the way it should be, in any reasonable world, such as East Asia or SE Asia, IMHO....

I do not like guns, and guns are basically useless in places like Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, HK, and, of course, Singapore, and many other nice, safe places, we call home.

I have not returned to the USA since 1992, and I have forgotten what it's like to live there, in that pot of a melting pot, which seems to be melting, these days.

I still love the USA, but I do not much care for the warped, and warping, culture of the past four decades.

Maybe such widespread gun ownership could be part of many problems in the US, however....

Now, IF I LIVED in the USA, I would definitely buy not one, not two, not three, but FOUR guns, all semiautomatic, and with high capacity clips.

I would also buy body armor, and keep it handy.

Why?

Here is why!

Watch the following video to understand why....

No way would I return to the US without first applying for a Permit to Carry. 

(But, this is also why I will never return to the USA. I do not like guns.  And, I do not like violence. And, I also do not like the new culture which is so radically different from what I was used to, and what I now enjoy.  Thailand, Taiwan, Japan are great places to live, chiefly due to the culture.  And, American culture was once far more similar to East Asian culture than it is now.  I will die here in East or SE Asia when my time comes.  And, America can keep the guns.  I am so much safer here in Thailand, without guns. Thailand is so Chill, by comparison.)

Where I live here, I doubt that most people care about locking their doors.  Try that in Dallas, Texas, why don't you....

Regards,

Gamma

I don't understand how you hate guns as you had certain guns that only a hunter would have. I always wanted a Weatherby and will get one eventually.I owned guns for hunting, and only target shot to sight them in. I sold hundreds of guns working for Academy Outdoors, met thousands of gun owners, and lived in the US for 62 years, and never saw any gun violence.

I feel a thousand fold safer living there than here, where many illegally own guns and shoot people just because they're a little pissed off. People don't do this in the US only rarely. Gangs and suicides are most of gun violence. If you want the safest place to live in the US, choose New England states, in the country areas, but prepare for being cold a lot. Anyone in their right mind locks their doors at night. Theft is rampant here in Thailand, and people care little to nothing about their neighbors.

I might get a handgun to carry in Texas when I move back there, because <deleted> does happen, although there was never a time when I needed one living there 32 years.And buying body armor is the epitome of paranoia.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are likely more innocent people killed by gun violence in America than any other nation in the world. I would say by a factor of 10. 

And I would give you ten to one odds that you are wrong. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Wrong. Just plain wrong. Do your research. 

The grief we feel as a nation over this tragedy is real. The terror I feel as a parent is nearly paralyzing. But paralysis won’t solve this problem. My professional life is dedicated to numbers and here’s one that every American should consider: 31,780. 

That’s how many children in the U.S. under age 18 have died from gun violence in the 20 years between 2000 and 2020.

31,780 children who will never get to hug their mom again.

https://www.prb.org/articles/31780-reasons-to-care-about-gun-violence/

The U.S. experienced more than 600 mass shootings in 2022, nearly double the number recorded four years ago when there were 336, according to Washington-based Gun Violence Archive.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-gun-violence-soars-in-2022/6876785.html

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

On a per capita basis, most of the countries to the south of the USA are much worse than the USA.  And that's where most of the unvetted illegals are coming from.  And though Trump's claim that Venezuela's emptying their prisons has been fact checked as inaccurate (as if fact checkers are reliable), the fact check itself is pretty revealing.  So I doubt Americans will be more willing to give up their 2nd Amendment rights in the near future. 

• From 2022 to 2023, there was a 25% drop in violent deaths, homicides, deaths resulting from police intervention and deaths under investigation, according to the independent Venezuelan Observatory of Violence. 

• Criminologists in Venezuela said the decline is because of the country’s poor economy, mass migration and the government's extrajudicial killings, not the government emptying prisons. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2024/apr/10/donald-trump/donald-trump-exaggerates-venezuelan-crime-drop-and/

homicideguns.png.3d68ea646ec3400f3bb6ea9ff0dfef25.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/homicide-rates-from-firearms

Back to the OP...  Big guns for self defense are stoopid.  Too big to conceal, too big to pull out quickly, too powerful to shoot straight, and way too much risk of collateral damage.  I bought my first gun in Texas at college in 1980, of the dozen or so I own.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've carried in public.  That's just not in my nature.  Maybe half a dozen times, I've pulled one out of the closet at home for strangers in the fenced back yard.  Never pointed on at anyone.   I don't begrudge legal owners when I see them carrying out in public, but I'm 100% in favor of coming down hard on felons and kids who already aren't allowed to carry.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wrong. Just plain wrong. Do your research. 

The grief we feel as a nation over this tragedy is real. The terror I feel as a parent is nearly paralyzing. But paralysis won’t solve this problem. My professional life is dedicated to numbers and here’s one that every American should consider: 31,780. 

That’s how many children in the U.S. under age 18 have died from gun violence in the 20 years between 2000 and 2020.

31,780 children who will never get to hug their mom again.

https://www.prb.org/articles/31780-reasons-to-care-about-gun-violence/

The U.S. experienced more than 600 mass shootings in 2022, nearly double the number recorded four years ago when there were 336, according to Washington-based Gun Violence Archive.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-gun-violence-soars-in-2022/6876785.html

You claimed that there are likely ten times more innocent people killed by gun violence in America than any other nation in the world.

Do you anything that supports that?

You post a link that claims 31,780 children in the U.S. under age 18 have died from gun violence in the 20 years between 2000 and 2020, yet it appears they are counting suicides as gun violence. 

They also do not differentiate between "innocents" and criminals and gang-members.

I assume you cut and pasted: "My professional life is dedicated to numbers...", but it that's the case, I'm glad you're not my CPA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, more gun deaths in Brazil than the US, and the US had 50% bigger population. 

But give him a break, as a leftist, all he has are lies. 

It's part of a growing tend in the MSM to redefine "mass shooting" and change the methods that even the FBI use to compile crime statistics.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/understanding-fbis-2021-crime-data

Cop shops around the country are noticing that their internal crime stats don't match the stats for the same city and time period from recent FBI reports.  Not surprisingly in an election year, the FBI is painting a rosier picture...

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's part of a growing tend in the MSM to redefine "mass shooting" and change the methods that even the FBI use to compile crime statistics.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/understanding-fbis-2021-crime-data

Cop shops around the country are noticing that their internal crime stats don't match the stats for the same city and time period from recent FBI reports.  Not surprisingly in an election year, the FBI is painting a rosier picture...

And if you do not actually convict anyone (except Trump) crime goes way down. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't understand how you hate guns as you had certain guns that only a hunter would have. I always wanted a Weatherby and will get one eventually.I owned guns for hunting, and only target shot to sight them in. I sold hundreds of guns working for Academy Outdoors, met thousands of gun owners, and lived in the US for 62 years, and never saw any gun violence.

I feel a thousand fold safer living there than here, where many illegally own guns and shoot people just because they're a little pissed off. People don't do this in the US only rarely. Gangs and suicides are most of gun violence. If you want the safest place to live in the US, choose New England states, in the country areas, but prepare for being cold a lot. Anyone in their right mind locks their doors at night. Theft is rampant here in Thailand, and people care little to nothing about their neighbors.

I might get a handgun to carry in Texas when I move back there, because <deleted> does happen, although there was never a time when I needed one living there 32 years.And buying body armor is the epitome of paranoia.

I think you may not grasp my logical thinking, completely.

Here is my logic about gun violence in Texas vs Thailand:

a. I love Thailand/Thai culture.

b. I love Thai cuisine.

c. I am here in Thailand, by choice.

d. I like to meet Thai people who enjoy Thai cuisine, and share Thai food together, at table.

a'. I hate Mexican/Latino culture.

b'. I hate most Mexican food, just beans, beans, black beans, and beans.

c'. When meeting Mexicans in Texas, this is NEVER my choice.

d'. I dislike meeting Mexicans who enjoy munching Burritos, and I have never shared a table with one.

In Conclusion:

For me, it would be far better to be shot and killed by someone from Thailand, because I am here by choice, and because Thai cuisine is the second-best in the world.

For me, it would be a tragedy to be shot and killed by some Latino Burrito-munching Bandit, breaking into my house, wearing some Pearl-Jam Bandana wrapped around his head, ...like some others in this world that I know of....

So, this is my logic.

And, this is why I feel so safe in Thailand, and feel NO NEED of a firearm while in Thailand.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think you may not grasp my logical thinking, completely.

Here is my logic about gun violence in Texas vs Thailand:

a. I love Thailand/Thai culture.

b. I love Thai cuisine.

c. I am here in Thailand, by choice.

d. I like to meet Thai people who enjoy Thai cuisine, and share Thai food together, at table.

a'. I hate Mexican/Latino culture.

b'. I hate most Mexican food, just beans, beans, black beans, and beans.

c'. When meeting Mexicans in Texas, this is NEVER my choice.

d'. I dislike meeting Mexicans who enjoy munching Burritos, and I have never shared a table with one.

In Conclusion:

For me, it would be far better to be shot and killed by someone from Thailand, because I am here by choice, and because Thai cuisine is the second-best in the world.

For me, it would be a tragedy to be shot and killed by some Latino Burrito-munching Bandit, breaking into my house, wearing some Pearl-Jam Bandana wrapped around his head, ...like some others in this world that I know of....

So, this is my logic.

And, this is why I feel so safe in Thailand, and feel NO NEED of a firearm while in Thailand.

I really don't think it matters much who shoots you, it still ends the same way. You don't know much about Mexican cuisine if you think it's just about beans. That's a staple, like rice is for Thais, but only part of the whole meal. I have a lot of Mexican friends, and they are good people, and I've shared many a meal with them.

You really don't need a firearm no matter where you live, besides a few African nations and a few in the Middle East. People break into homes in every country, including here, especially because it's a poor country, which means a lot of theft.

You are a lot more likely to be shot here because of the reasons many carry handguns, than you are in the US, unless you join a gang.

We can see you're prejudiced against Latinos, and that's your deal. For what reasons I can't see. And we all thought you were going to move to Japan and marry a genius Japanese woman, so I'm guessing you couldn't find one that would have you so are staying here, where you're a lot more likely to find a woman, albeit for money.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I really don't think it matters much who shoots you, it still ends the same way. You don't know much about Mexican cuisine if you think it's just about beans. That's a staple, like rice is for Thais, but only part of the whole meal. I have a lot of Mexican friends, and they are good people, and I've shared many a meal with them.

You really don't need a firearm no matter where you live, besides a few African nations and a few in the Middle East. People break into homes in every country, including here, especially because it's a poor country, which means a lot of theft.

You are a lot more likely to be shot here because of the reasons many carry handguns, than you are in the US, unless you join a gang.

We can see you're prejudiced against Latinos, and that's your deal. For what reasons I can't see. And we all thought you were going to move to Japan and marry a genius Japanese woman, so I'm guessing you couldn't find one that would have you so are staying here, where you're a lot more likely to find a woman, albeit for money.

a. I have spent some time in Mexico. I once drove a Benz from Naples FL to Belize.

b. I did enjoy the food and the environment in Villahermosa...quite a bit.  As you say, very nice people there.

c. I know that Mexican food is not only beans.  In addition to beans, you got your guacamole and rice.  Mexican food, after a few days, at least for me, is quite disgusting.

d. In my view, it would be difficult to say if one culture might be better than another, just because choosing a culture depends much upon personal preference. I happen to prefer East Asian culture, as well as Thai culture, and Thai-Chinese culture, greatly, over cultures that we think of as being part of North America, Central America, and South America.  

I am not saying one is inherently better than another for any given person. But, I know which are better for me.

e. Some guys love Mexico, and they love Belize, too.  Fortunately, Mexico is cheap, and they should move to Mexico or Belize.  I hate the sand fleas on the barrier islands of Belize, although the clarity of the ocean water there, and the color of the sea, is magnificent.

f. Anyway, wherever I am shot, and by whomever, the result will be the same, and no great loss to TV.  Someday, or maybe never, I will just stop posting without any forewarning, and then you may mourn my passing, if you wish.  And so, maybe this is just my way of warning you that, if I am shot and killed, I may stop posting on TV, quite suddenly.

g.  I am not prejudiced or biased against Latinos. However, I find their culture distasteful, although...I guess..... Hemingway loved the Latinos, before he pulled the trigger on this favorite shotgun....

14 hours ago, Goat said:

That is just the American kids. If you add the Afghani, Iraqi, Syrian, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian kids we are in the millions of kids killed by Americans.

A very violent breed.

As an American I agree. I think America absolutely adores violence and killing. It seems to be ingrained into the DNA. The US is a very violent nation. 

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As an American I agree. I think America absolutely adores violence and killing. It seems to be ingrained into the DNA. The US is a very violent nation. 

Oh, Say can you see... 

Bombs bursting in air. 

Our flag is still there! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:22 PM, KhunLA said:

You haven't been there in over 30 yrs, how do you know you'd still love USA.   If I returned, I'd have one gun at least, as I just like 'em.

In Asia, you never need a gun (?) .... until you do, just like anywhere worldwide.   

Stop watching & listening to MSM BS, crime and murders (with few exceptions) have decreased almost every year.

And the idiot in the vid would be prosecuted, as shooting through a door, negates any immanent danger of life.  Need to wait till the door is opened.

I love guns, and I don't like criminals. If it was a better country I'd like to live in the US, where if someone breaks into my house I can legally shoot them.

Where I live, if someone broke into my house and stabbed my wife and children to death and I hit them with an axe, I'd probably end up in jail while he would get off as he had a deprived childhood. They don't like us protecting ourselves. We have to let them attack us and the police will come around later and fill out a form for their files.

Perhaps that isn't entirely true, but it sure seems like it is.

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

a. I have spent some time in Mexico. I once drove a Benz from Naples FL to Belize.

b. I did enjoy the food and the environment in Villahermosa...quite a bit.  As you say, very nice people there.

c. I know that Mexican food is not only beans.  In addition to beans, you got your guacamole and rice.  Mexican food, after a few days, at least for me, is quite disgusting.

d. In my view, it would be difficult to say if one culture might be better than another, just because choosing a culture depends much upon personal preference. I happen to prefer East Asian culture, as well as Thai culture, and Thai-Chinese culture, greatly, over cultures that we think of as being part of North America, Central America, and South America.  

I am not saying one is inherently better than another for any given person. But, I know which are better for me.

e. Some guys love Mexico, and they love Belize, too.  Fortunately, Mexico is cheap, and they should move to Mexico or Belize.  I hate the sand fleas on the barrier islands of Belize, although the clarity of the ocean water there, and the color of the sea, is magnificent.

f. Anyway, wherever I am shot, and by whomever, the result will be the same, and no great loss to TV.  Someday, or maybe never, I will just stop posting without any forewarning, and then you may mourn my passing, if you wish.  And so, maybe this is just my way of warning you that, if I am shot and killed, I may stop posting on TV, quite suddenly.

g.  I am not prejudiced or biased against Latinos. However, I find their culture distasteful, although...I guess..... Hemingway loved the Latinos, before he pulled the trigger on this favorite shotgun....

Well you seem to have a very superficial view of Mexico, there's a reason why it's the capital of Latin America when it comes to film, literature, theater, dance and so many other areas of culture including the fine arts. Mexican cuisine is amongst the most exquisite in the world when it's prepared by a serious chef with top quality ingredients, but you rarely find that kind of Mexican food in the US (with the exception of some truly outstanding restaurants) and you'll never find it in Thailand. The Mexican food here is really marginal. 

And the Mexican people can be really lovely, warm, friendly, welcoming, hospitable and a lot of fun to be around. If I live there I would likely have a half a dozen close male Mexican friends. I don't have a single male Thai friend here, after a decade and a half. 

On 4/13/2024 at 9:22 AM, KhunLA said:

You haven't been there in over 30 yrs, how do you know you'd still love USA.   If I returned, I'd have one gun at least, as I just like 'em.

In Asia, you never need a gun (?) .... until you do, just like anywhere worldwide.   

Stop watching & listening to MSM BS, crime and murders (with few exceptions) have decreased almost every year.

And the idiot in the vid would be prosecuted, as shooting through a door, negates any immanent danger of life.  Need to wait till the door is opened.

No you don't they were trying to kick his door in he will not be charged.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well you seem to have a very superficial view of Mexico, there's a reason why it's the capital of Latin America when it comes to film, literature, theater, dance and so many other areas of culture including the fine arts. Mexican cuisine is amongst the most exquisite in the world when it's prepared by a serious chef with top quality ingredients, but you rarely find that kind of Mexican food in the US (with the exception of some truly outstanding restaurants) and you'll never find it in Thailand. The Mexican food here is really marginal. 

And the Mexican people can be really lovely, warm, friendly, welcoming, hospitable and a lot of fun to be around. If I live there I would likely have a half a dozen close male Mexican friends. I don't have a single male Thai friend here, after a decade and a half. 

I have many close acquaintances here in Thailand.

And, I am an Old Friend of China.

I prefer the culture of China, a culture which is the product of the past few thousand years of education.

I like smart and intelligent people.

Personally, after driving from Texas to Belize, I was thankful and grateful to get out of that disgusting place, Mexico.

I ate at the best restaurants in Villahermosa, which are considered quite good by Mexicans.

I enjoyed the food, but it soon became tiresome.

Mexican food is more for the birds, than for me.

And, as I stated just above:  I like smart and intelligent people....

image.png.1e62eb80c365443bdae45eefc4437dfb.png

The table here makes my point.

East Asia and SE Asia is far better for me, especially considering that I am an Old Friend of China....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have many close acquaintances here in Thailand.

And, I am an Old Friend of China.

I prefer the culture of China, a culture which is the product of the past few thousand years of education.

I like smart and intelligent people.

Personally, after driving from Texas to Belize, I was thankful and grateful to get out of that disgusting place, Mexico.

I ate at the best restaurants in Villahermosa, which are considered quite good by Mexicans.

I enjoyed the food, but it soon became tiresome.

Mexican food is more for the birds, than for me.

And, as I stated just above:  I like smart and intelligent people....

image.png.1e62eb80c365443bdae45eefc4437dfb.png

The table here makes my point.

East Asia and SE Asia is far better for me, especially considering that I am an Old Friend of China....

it might make your point if we could see China or click on the  link-which I would be interested in doing.

14 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

it might make your point if we could see China or click on the  link-which I would be interested in doing.

I agree with you.

Sorry for not including the link to the source, which I had intended to do...

Anyway:

Here is the information that you requested...

https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

image.png.5b330477ee5826d70f9dbefe21f9ebfc.png

https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

11 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

What a weird thing to post in a 'Thailand newsletter'.

Perhaps, not so weird.

This speaks to the fact that people, here, living in Thailand, especially Farang, should feel relatively SAFE, and free of worry.

Here in Thailand, at least for most Farang, and most if not all visitors, should feel quite blessed at being in Thailand, where one can truly enjoy greater peace of mind, compared to living in places like Dallas Texas.

I thank my lucky stars, each and every morning, to be so fortunate as to live here.

Thailand has much to offer, and relative safety for visitors and Farang expats is excellent, and something to be appreciated by us, and also much sought after by many in some other parts of this world.

• Like 1

When the second amendment was written bearing arms meant you had a sword or a single shot black powder blunderbuss. Machine guns and RPG's were not yet invented so how did they sneak in ?  Lack of judicial oversite ,now too late to fix , the USA is doomed.

5 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

When the second amendment was written bearing arms meant you had a sword or a single shot black powder blunderbuss. Machine guns and RPG's were not yet invented so how did they sneak in ?  Lack of judicial oversite ,now too late to fix , the USA is doomed.

When the second amendment was written bearing arms meant a citizen of the United States could own the most sophisticated weaponry of the time. 

The same thinking would limit free speech rights to only actually speaking. No amplification, no recordings, no radio no TV, no posting on the internet, and limit freedom of the press to only the technology available in 1791.