Another "quality" tourist

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure the car driver showed an immediate willingness to actually come to a stop.... he was driving carefully but it also looks like he expected the pedestrians to stop and when they didn't, he did.... 

... Nothing wrong with that IMO....  it wasn't at a crossing etc... and the Foreigner massively over reacted... 

He will sooner or later get paid for his ignorant violent behaviour. Either hit by a car, or be hit by the right car driver/passengers, and the young eyebolling man, will run as quick it escalate 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure the car driver showed an immediate willingness to actually come to a stop.... he was driving carefully but it also looks like he expected the pedestrians to stop and when they didn't, he did.... 

... Nothing wrong with that IMO....  it wasn't at a crossing etc... and the Foreigner massively over reacted... 

He was in a hurry. Very common here. Nobody is relaxed. It's all people rushing around and getting little or nothing done. Also, the rushing is not limited to driving and the roads, it's everything.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Lol.

What about the part where Thai drivers drive over a zebra crossing while you are on it?

A few years ago, I stopped at a Zebra crossing to allow the pedestrians to cross the road (4-lanes).
On my right side there was another car which had stopped for the pedetrians.
Nonetheless, a motorcycle driver who was late for his Som-Tam session chose to pass us on the left and scoped the pedestrians.
Crossing a street in Thailand is a risky businnes.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:36 PM, Confuscious said:

Found this video today.
Happened at Central in Koh Samui, 3 days ago, according to the OP.
Didn't see it on ASUAN  NOW.
Quality tourists again

a. This is why I was much happier here in Thailand during the pandemic.  Far, FAR, fewer crazy Farang!

b. I hate tourists. To me, they are just scum, no matter if you find them in Naples, FL, or anywhere.

c.  I also do not like uneducated foreigners.  And I am not talking about the education you find in schools, mostly.

d.  Where is Anutin when I we need him most?

One more note:

I would not be surprised if the four-years of pandemic have changed society for the worse, these days.

Many of the foreigners coming from other countries seem even less socialized than they once seemed to be.

I have nothing to do with Farang, here in Thailand.

This is the way it must be, for me.

I like Farang, but only the Farang sporting PhD's from major universities, such as Columbia, Penn, Princeton, and McGill.

At least, one knows that the PhD's teaching at these elite schools have been properly vetted...which is...The way I like it.

It's been years since I have talked to a Farang...back in 2020, for about 20 minutes, and on only one occasion.

Before that....2016....not a Farang, but a female foreigner from Taiwan, who was nice, but no genius, certainly!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

How do you know my age?

Just a guess based on your constantly negative posts.

Superior attitude?

By using a pedestrian crossing?

No. By, as you said, striding out with your hand out whether there is a car coming or not. Expecting everyone to yield to you. That is a superior attitude. As I said before, this is Asia.

Do I wish people would treat zebra crossings like they do in the UK? Yes, and I usually stop myself (I only don't when it is dangerous - either someone right up my tailpipe or if I can see someone behind me in another lane that doesn't look like they'll be able to stop: that would be more dangerous for the pedestrian than me not stopping). But this is Asia, the culture is different, the driving standards are different, if you think you can change an entire continent's style because you are more important than them and you'll cross regardless, you are nobody's hero, sorry - you are just silly and entitled.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

A few years ago, I stopped at a Zebra crossing to allow the pedestrians to cross the road (4-lanes).
On my right side there was another car which had stopped for the pedetrians.
Nonetheless, a motorcycle driver who was late for his Som-Tam session chose to pass us on the left and scoped the pedestrians.
Crossing a street in Thailand is a risky businnes.

Which is why, regretfully, I no longer stop for pedestrian crossings.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

No. By, as you said, striding out with your hand out whether there is a car coming or not. Expecting everyone to yield to you. That is a superior attitude. As I said before, this is Asia.

Of course I expect cars to yield at zebra crossings, that's what they are there for.

It's not a matter of superiority. It's a matter of basic decency. But as you said, this is Asia.

If we can't cross at pedestrian crossings, where can we cross? And what's the point in having crossings if they are ignored?

They are suuposed to be safe places for people to cross. You are somehow twisting this into the pedestrian's superiority complex. 

It shouldn't be too much to ask drivers to follow the law, but they respect nothing and people get killed on zebra crossings because of it.

Do I wish people would treat zebra crossings like they do in the UK? Yes, and I usually stop myself (I only don't when it is dangerous - either someone right up my tailpipe or if I can see someone behind me in another lane that doesn't look like they'll be able to stop: that would be more dangerous for the pedestrian than me not stopping). But this is Asia, the culture is different, the driving standards are different, if you think you can change an entire continent's style because you are more important than them and you'll cross regardless, you are nobody's hero, sorry - you are just silly and entitled.

Pedestrian are entitled to cross even if cars are coming. You don't seem to grasp that basic concept.

If I was going to stand and wait til it's clear that would defeat the point in going to the crossing. I could cross at any part of the road once it's clear. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

What??? Did you watch it? Explain how he is playing tough guy, please. He is driving slowly and then comes to a stop a distance from the pedestrians. Is that your idea of a "tough guy"?

Are you just another poster who automatically takes the foreigner's side no mater what? (You don't need to answer that).

I do agree with you the car driver has done nothing wrong 

On 4/13/2024 at 12:36 PM, Confuscious said:

Found this video today.
Happened at Central in Koh Samui, 3 days ago, according to the OP.
Didn't see it on ASUAN  NOW.
Quality tourists again

That ain't no "tourist". What you meant to say and title this thread is "Another Quality Retirement Visa Old Man with anger problems" in Thailand. You can clearly see he's a local living here with his Thai wife and adopted Thai familiy of kids which belong to a different father than the mother.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 1

Where I'm from in America it's always expected to yield to pedestrians in parking lots and it would be considered extremely rude to do what the car did here. The car however is doing the usual rude stuff you do in Thailand so can't be considered at fault.

Obviously this isn't America thought so you can't expect cars to yield and especially shouldn't get all pissed off like that (the guy was probably American).

What do other Europeans do? If you're in an area where people are likely walking (parking lot, or this mall entrance with foot traffic) do the people need to be extra careful to not get hit (like Thailand) or do you look out for them and yield when need be?

• Confused 1

Foreigners from civilized countries do not expect this aggressive behavior from little emperors in cars.  They guy was trying to protect his family and got a little too pissed off, that's all. Notice the tough guy driving didn't jump out and challenge him or attempt to straighten it out? He would rather be famous on video.

And the news reporter, dam talk about throwing gas on the fire. TAT should step into these news channels and have them cool it off a bit.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Foreigners from civilized countries do not expect this aggressive behavior from little emperors in cars.  They guy was trying to protect his family and got a little too pissed off, that's all. Notice the tough guy driving didn't jump out and challenge him or attempt to straighten it out? He would rather be famous on video.

And the news reporter, dam talk about throwing gas on the fire. TAT should step into these news channels and have them cool it off a bit.

Plus those dash cams make things look a lot further away than they really are. The car was very close to them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, rexpotter said:

Plus those dash cams make things look a lot further away than they really are. The car was very close to them.

The title of this should be 'Another Quality Thai Driver'.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Really? Did you watch the same video as me?

The guy crossing the road, showed himself to be a moron, was it you?

Bye and hope you have a good day in that alternative reality, as you are clearly unencumbered by the thought process.

Edited by Georgealbert

On 4/13/2024 at 1:00 PM, cooked said:

Remind me about toxic masculinity again. 

Remind me about the perils of consuming large quantities of soy and spending too much time with women. 

Wandering across the road like he's at the mall . He's lucky with the driver of that car , if he had done it to the wrong person he would be in hospital I'm sure from getting chopped by a machete or whacked over the head with some object.

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:01 PM, PremiumLane said:

OP is shocked that out of millions of tourists that visit, some of them can be a$$holes

Correction, many of them are a**holes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Correction, many of them are a**holes.

dennis leary would agree......when thais ask me what my religion is i say I try not to be an a$$hole...if we all tried the world would be a better place 🙂

• Love It 1