Another "quality" tourist

5 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

The driver showed absolutely no willingness to stop.

He did his best to get in front of the pedestrians who were already crossing the road, rather than stop willingly to let them finish crossing.

So, they had to walk in front of a moving car or be forced to stand and wait in the middle of the road to let the car through, then suffer the same challenge with the next Thai driver.

But rather than stop completely, the driver then continued to roll slowly towards the group as they crossed getting uncomfortably close to them.

This was probably to hurry them along or to display aggression towards them for crossing the road.

It's a game to the drivers here, I think.

Probably something to do with losing face as well.

I had a similar experience yesterday with a taxi on a crosswalk. 

Were the pedestrian's "J" walking......?

Was the driver being extremely cautious for these numpties...?

Did he become extra cautious when he saw the farangy was wearing a wig around his mouth..............?  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Is it you in the video? You seem to want to defend the fool.

Certainly not.

But I have had my fair share of life threatening moments crossing the road here, even on crosswalks, it's a daily occurrence actually. 

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

So, it's OK for this MORON to go into demolishing mode and start to attack the car?

Of course not

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Guess we have found a bigger moron here.

That's a game never to play with Thais. You can't win.

9 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Certainly not.

But I have had my fair share of life threatening moments crossing the road here, even on crosswalks, it's a daily occurrence actually. 

Bye

Found a training video to help you get safely through your day.

Edited by Georgealbert

3 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Bye

Found a training video to help you get safety through your day.

Lol.

What about the part where Thai drivers drive over a zebra crossing while you are on it?

Edited by FruitPudding

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

Lol.

What about the part where Thai drivers drive over a zebra crossing while you are on it?

Was the driver a THAI?
He speaks pretty good English to whoever was with him in the car.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Lol.

Here was me, showing my concern for your safety, as you have already confessed you are daily unable to cross the road without incident.

Here is your response, just proving further my original post, through yet more Thai bashing.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Here was me, showing my concern for your safety, as you have already confessed you are daily unable to cross the road without incident.

Here is your response, just proving further my original post, through yet more Thai bashing.

How so? How is it Thai bashing?

It's true.

I am unable to cross at a pedestrian crossing without incident in Thailand. 

Yesterday, the Thai driver who almost ran me over on the crosswalk opened his door while he was driving to hurl abuse at me cos I made him stop on the zebra crossing.

I got the finger just last week for claiming my right of way at the zebra crossing,  and it isn't the first time. 

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

No it's not, it's fact, they even brought out new fines to try and deal with it.............:coffee1:

18 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Playing the devil's advocate: How do we know the driver didn't give him the finger? Looked like he was proceeding across with his companions and something caused him to pause and react.

'Roids' would be my guess on that one....         Whatever it was that 'triggered him' - the reaction is a complete over-reaction.

This is an angry-tool who's walking around looking for a confrontation.... Perhaps he's already had a lot of 'near misses' here in Thailand with drivers not stopping or nearly hitting them on a crossing etc and this is the straw that broke the camels back. 

BUT... its 'hardly a straw' - the cam-car driver appears to have been extremely courteous...  he was driving slowly, stopped with plenty of space (seemingly).

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

How so? How is it Thai bashing?

It's true.

I am unable to cross at a pedestrian crossing without incident in Thailand. 

Yesterday, the Thai driver who almost ran me over on the crosswalk opened his door while he was driving to hurl abuse at me cos I made him stop on the zebra crossing.

I got the finger just last week for claiming my right of way at the zebra crossing,  and it isn't the first time. 

555555 How long have you lived here?

So do you really think zebra crossings in Thailand, are like your home country. Seems your superiority complex attitude and masculinity prevents any critical thinking and you just want to provoke reaction, like the fool in the video, I understand now why you want to defend him.

Maybe that large chip on your shoulder prevents you moving your head enough to look both ways.

I can explain how to cross a road safely, if you'd like, but I can't understand for you.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Crossing the road at a Pedestrian crossing is notoriously hazardous in Thailand. 

Not that this is the issue in the example of the Op, the foreigner was clearly an complete cretin.

However, you, Georgealbert, have gone on the defensive for Thai's....   when clearly this is an 'area' of Thai bashing which is wholly justified.

Thai's in general drive in a manner with very little regard for the pedestrian - my Wife, who drives very well and courteously, seems to ignore pedestrians, as if she doesn't see them.... I just don't get it - they're there, but its as if they don't register. 

I think that is the same for many Thai's - they see someoene trying to cross a road, but don't want to stop until they are forced to making it a very dangerous endeavour for anyone attempting to cross. 

So @Georgealbert - No one is trying to defend the 'fool' in the video who got angry and aggressive....    but the discussion has also migrated to the issue of trying to safely cross a road in Thailand and unfortunately, that is very worthy of a 'Thai-Bash'..... 

I don't think there are many of us who have tried to cross a road hear, at a pedestrian crossing or a crossing with a red-traffic lights and not been 'nearly' hit by a careless / dangerous driver.

I've nearly been hit numerous times...  and it seems the last thing any driver in Thailand wants to do is slow down and hit the breaks - its as if braking is a loss of face, a last resort....   many driver here will do anything do avoid hitting the brakes and that makes something that is a perfectly safe endeavour in most of our home nations a lethal one here.

Thailand repeatedly attempts to deal with this issue and repeatedly fails because the masses refuse to be educated because the police are apathetic and ineffective....  and the people just do not care about the value of life of others outside of their own circles. 

Yes - thats Thai-Bash... but it is one which is justified, and its one which my Thai friends would agree with for they hold the same opinions when we discuss such issues. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

So do you really think zebra crossings in Thailand, are like your home country. Seems your superiority complex attitude and masculinity prevents any critical thinking and you just want to provoke reaction, like the fool in the video, I understand now why you want to defend him.

Maybe that large chip on your shoulder prevents you moving your head enough to look both ways.

I can explain how to cross a road safely, if you'd like, but I can't understand for you.

No you can't........:coffee1:

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Thailand wants to attract more tourists, it wants to attract major international events (from Pop Starts, to Formula E etc).... 

Thailand is actively attempting to modernise and develop which is a great thing....     

To do so, its general attitudes towards safety also need to improve. 

Having fools such as yourself suggesting 'look both ways' [Maybe that large chip on your shoulder prevents you moving your head enough to look both ways] - is idiotic and completely ignores the issue. 

We've seen video after video of people getting killed on crossings because car drivers (and motorcycle) riders refuse to stop.

Crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing here is unsafe....  the reality is road safety for pedestrians in Thailand is an afterthought for authorities until something major occurs... there is no way you can polish turd, roll it in glitter and make it smell better - Its a huge black mark against Thailand and one than could easily be removed with effective policing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Thai bashing.

Thai bashing

[taɪ ˈbæʃɪŋ]

Noun phrase

The act of saying something factual but negative about any element of Thailand or Thai people which the user of the phrase finds unpleasant to hear due to their self-esteem being attached to their perceived image of Thailand. Used primarily to deflect genuine criticism of Thailand or Thai culture, so the user does not have to face reality.

"What do you mean the roads in Thailand are dangerous? That's just Thai bashing!"

See also: cognitive dissonance, logical fallacy, thought terminating cliché

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BangkokReady said:
1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Thai bashing.

Thai bashing

[taɪ ˈbæʃɪŋ]

Noun phrase

The act of saying something factual but negative about any element of Thailand or Thai people which the user of the phrase finds unpleasant to hear due to their self-esteem being attached to their perceived image of Thailand. Used primarily to deflect genuine criticism of Thailand or Thai culture, so the user does not have to face reality.

"What do you mean the roads in Thailand are dangerous? That's just Thai bashing!"

See also: cognitive dissonance, logical fallacy, thought terminating cliché

Agreed....  

There are the justified negative comments that some / many of us make about events and issues in Thailand which are wholly justified, those comments are more often than not matched by our Thai friends, neighbours and peers.

Then there are unwarranted, bias, bigoted, and racist negative comments which some forum members make which is 'Thai Bashing' at its worst.

The two are very different - factual criticism and over opinionated bigotry. 

The issue is that some posters such as Georgealbert struggles to differentiate the two, while other posters (the usual suspects we see on this forum) refuse to differentiate and just take any opportunity to bash at anything, justifiable or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Playing the devil's advocate: How do we know the driver didn't give him the finger? Looked like he was proceeding across with his companions and something caused him to pause and react.

Because thai's are always smiley.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

However, you, Georgealbert, have gone on the defensive for Thai's....   when clearly this is an 'area' of Thai bashing which is wholly justified.

Or where criticising it simply isn't "Thai bashing" at all.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai's in general drive in a manner with very little regard for the pedestrian - my Wife, who drives very well and courteously, seems to ignore pedestrians, as if she doesn't see them.... I just don't get it - they're there, but its as if they don't register. 

I think that is the same for many Thai's - they see someoene trying to cross a road, but don't want to stop until they are forced to making it a very dangerous endeavour for anyone attempting to cross. 

I think they're just used to driving like someone would through a herd of sheep. They'll slow down, they might even stop if they have to, but they're trying to push through the herd, and it's the sheep's fault for being in the road anyway.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Crossing the road at a Pedestrian crossing is notoriously hazardous in Thailand. 

Not that this is the issue in the example of the Op, the foreigner was clearly an complete cretin.

So @Georgealbert - No one is trying to defend the 'fool' in the video who got angry and aggressive....    but the discussion has also migrated to the issue of trying to safely cross a road in Thailand and unfortunately, that is very worthy of a 'Thai-Bash'..... 

I don't think there are many of us who have tried to cross a road hear, at a pedestrian crossing or a crossing with a red-traffic lights and not been 'nearly' hit by a careless / dangerous driver.

I've nearly been hit numerous times...  and it seems the last thing any driver in Thailand wants to do is slow down and hit the breaks - its as if braking is a loss of face, a last resort....   many driver here will do anything do avoid hitting the brakes and that makes something that is a perfectly safe endeavour in most of our home nations a lethal one here.

Thailand repeatedly attempts to deal with this issue and repeatedly fails because the masses refuse to be educated because the police are apathetic and ineffective....  and the people just do not care about the value of life of others outside of their own circles. 

Yes - thats Thai-Bash... but it is one which is justified, and its one which my Thai friends would agree with for they hold the same opinions when we discuss such issues. 

Sorry Richard, but the poster I was replying to, was Thai bashing, and was defending the fool in the original video.

My bet is, that poster, when he gets to a marked crossing, raises his hand and walks. I have seen that so often.

It was that poster that said he has incidents daily when crossing the road. I am not defending Thai driving, but myself and I would say most AN user, never have daily incidents, and in many years I have not even had a near miss. Maybe my own self preservation awareness/intelligence is better than others.

Also not long ago, I remember you posting a strong defence of Thai driving, based on the statistical data and types of vehicles involved in accidents, so please be consistent.

You often like to tell us, you are well travelled, so do you think that crossing the road in say Indonesia, Cambodian, Laos or Vietnam cities is any different?

I am out of the thread, and leave it to those that think the moron in the original was not in the wrong, proving him and themselves to be as sharp as marbles. Linked below is UK pedestrian accident data, showing accidents do occur elsewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-pedestrian-factsheet-2022/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-pedestrian-factsheet-2022#:~:text=to look properly'-,Pedestrian traffic and reported casualties,13%2C041 slightly injured (adjusted).

44 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Most of my adult life.

So do you really think zebra crossings in Thailand, are like your home country.

No, I know the drivers don't respect anything here......

.....thanks for proving my point, by the way. 😄 

Seems your superiority complex attitude and masculinity prevents any critical thinking and you just want to provoke reaction

Just trying to cross the road at a zebra crossing, man.

I think it's the drivers who don't follow the law and give way that have a superiority complex. 

Well, I only have to look one way, usually. 

And then I step out and start crossing the road - even if a car is coming - because I am on a pedestrian crossing and its my right of way. 

They have the right of way on every part of the road,  except pedestrian crossings.

Okay, I am all ears.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

And then I step out and start crossing the road - even if a car is coming - because I am on a pedestrian crossing and its my right of way. 

And there we have it. You're one of those angry old men who invites trouble.

I hope your luck continues because one day it might not. You are in Asia, things are different here.

Thailand is slowly getting better and people do occasionally stop at zebra crossings in Bangkok - that was unheard of a few years ago. But you need to have your wits about you. You also need to not be an angry idiot who wants to prove a point - no-one cares and no-one likes a superior attitude.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

And there we have it. You're one of those angry old men who invites trouble.

How do you know my age?

I hope your luck continues because one day it might not. You are in Asia, things are different here.

I know, there's no respect for anything.

Thailand is slowly getting better and people do occasionally stop at zebra crossings in Bangkok - that was unheard of a few years ago. But you need to have your wits about you. You also need to not be an angry idiot who wants to prove a point - no-one cares and no-one likes a superior attitude.

Superior attitude?

By using a pedestrian crossing?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry Richard, but the poster I was replying to, was Thai bashing, and was defending the fool in the original video.

Fruitpudding very clearly stated the moron in the video was also in the wrong....    But also pointed out that the driver initially showed no willingness to stop... that is also very common here... Stopping is a last resort.

Equally, so, the pedestrians should have stopped to allow the car to pass - the pedestrians were arrogant and the morons escalation completely wrong.

The only correct response is 'hand up, sorry man - my mistake and then hurrying across so as not to inconvenience the driver'.... that would be the polite thing to do IMO.

FruitPudding then also pointed out how terrible it is crossing the road here - a valid comment. 

My bet is, that poster, when he gets to a marked crossing, raises his hand and walks. I have seen that so often.

It was that poster that said he has incidents daily when crossing the road. I am not defending Thai driving, but myself and I would say most AN user, never have daily incidents, and in many years I have not even had a near miss. Maybe my own self preservation awareness/intelligence is better than others.

I don't have 'incidents daily'... however, the amount of 'near misses' I see daily, and the amount of completely unnecessary near misses I have had in the past contradicts your experience. 

I don't cross a road multiple times a day here - that is perhaps the only reason I do not have a daily near miss.... or encounter a daily degree of frustration when trying to cross the road and vehicle after vehicle refuse to stop for a pedestrian at a crossing.

Even at times when a vehicle does stop...  there are motorcycles who still 'burn through'....     

When being as careful as possible... I've nearly been hit a couple of times as the approaching vehicle shows no signs of slowing to allow time for you to cross. 

Also not long ago, I remember you posting a strong defence of Thai driving, based on the statistical data and types of vehicles involved in accidents, so please be consistent.

That 'single layer statistic' showed that per 100,000 people there were more road fatalities in the US than Thailand, but that stat does not cover distance travelled etc...

That stat also covered road deaths only... not pedestrian crossings, so while I applied balance in a previous thread, that information in no manner or form offers support or justification for the manner in which Thai's (in general) approach pedestrian crossings and pedestrian safety in general. 

You often like to tell us, you are well travelled, so do you think that crossing the road in say Indonesia, Cambodian, Laos or Vietnam cities is any different?

Agreed....  its terrible there too - 3rd World Nations - Thailand is trying very hard to propel itself towards greater development.

Much of Africa, India, China and even HK now are terrible places to try and cross the road safely - None of this offers any support or justiifcation for Thailand general lack of regard for pedestrians...

... The .... "but, but, he also did it......" argument is flawed at a very fundamental level. 

I am out of the thread, and leave it to those that think the moron in the original was not in the wrong, proving him and themselves to be as sharp as marbles. Linked below is UK pedestrian accident data, showing accidents do occur elsewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-pedestrian-factsheet-2022/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-pedestrian-factsheet-2022#:~:text=to look properly'-,Pedestrian traffic and reported casualties,13%2C041 slightly injured (adjusted).

The moron (completely agree with your wording) was 100% in the wrong, crossing in the the wrong place then getting angry at the driver of the car who it appears didn't do much wrong at all, other than drive into the shopping mall and was then forced to stop when a guy crossed the road in front of him 'not at a crossing'....     

... The driver could have stopped, perhaps even should have stopped, but as this is Thailand we all know normal driver behavior means 'stopping in such situations' is a last resort for a driver. 

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

The driver showed absolutely no willingness to stop.

He did his best to get in front of the pedestrians who were already crossing the road, rather than stop willingly to let them finish crossing.

So, they had to walk in front of a moving car or be forced to stand and wait in the middle of the road to let the car through, then suffer the same challenge with the next Thai driver.

But rather than stop completely, the driver then continued to roll slowly towards the group as they crossed getting uncomfortably close to them.

This was probably to hurry them along or to display aggression towards them for crossing the road.

It's a game to the drivers here, I think.

Probably something to do with losing face as well.

I had a similar experience yesterday with a taxi on a crosswalk. 

I must have been watching a different video to you then. Definately looks as driving   slow  and then slows down some more. The pedestrian is just another <deleted>.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

As the saying goes here... "Always look both ways when crossing a one way road !!!!"

28 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

They have the right of way on every part of the road,  except pedestrian crossings.

Yes... but you could find yourself "dead right".... and that is the sad reality of crossing a road in Thailand at a Pedestrian crossing. 

-------

Most drivers behave like ayholes when it comes to pedestrians.... But some of us Westerners behave with a sense of 'entitlement' that believes the pedestrian has right of way (at a crossing) which is legally true, but also a dangerous state of mind.

I do it too.....   On some occasions we'd never cross a road...  its like trying to pull out of a junction when driving... .

We have to push, we are left with little other option if we want to get anywhere... 

So... we have to be a little assertive and 'encourage' the drivers to stop for us...  show clear intent etc... 

In such situation many drivers do stop... but we also get the complete ayholes who, even though we are on a crossing, will get angry, blast their horn or just outright refuse to stop and show that they don't care if they hit us or not.....

I see both sides of the argument, being careful, but also some drivers are just downright ayhole drivers. 

Its not a perfect world - and often we have to take these individual situations (when crossing) on their individual merits. 

In this case - the driver perhaps showed that he didn't want to stop when he could easily have, to be polite and allow the pedestrians to cross. The tourist on the other hand 'snapped' way too quickly and was clearly and unhinged edgy ayhole looking for a problem. 

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not - but how could this improve pedestrian safety in Thailand ?????

6 minutes ago, theshu25 said:

I must have been watching a different video to you then. Definately looks as driving   slow  and then slows down some more. The pedestrian is just another <deleted>.

I'm not so sure the car driver showed an immediate willingness to actually come to a stop.... he was driving carefully but it also looks like he expected the pedestrians to stop and when they didn't, he did.... 

... Nothing wrong with that IMO....  it wasn't at a crossing etc... and the Foreigner massively over reacted...