Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Blood Test and water

I'm due for a Blood Test at a hospital tomorrow 8 am. The appointment form says no food or water after 8 pm tonight. Is that a mistake? On having blood tests over the years it always said except water.

• Like 1

I would assume so.

Juice, coffee, soda, and other beverages can get in your bloodstream and affect your results. But you can drink water. It's good to drink water before a blood test. It helps keep more fluid in your veins, which can make it easier to get a sample of your blood.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I would assume so.

That's what I thought. I have never been asked for 12 hours before, normally 8 hours. Go to bed at midnight get up and go and have a blood test, simple. But no liquid for 12 hours feels wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My doc told me they say no food or drink because it's easier. He told me black coffee before is no problem. 

It's the sugar that have effect on test.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it's a mistake, but they chose to use those words because many patients, when told not to eat food, drink sweetened water and cause much trouble. So, they were left with no choice but to do this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:07 PM, roger101 said:

I'm due for a Blood Test at a hospital tomorrow 8 am. The appointment form says no food or water after 8 pm tonight. Is that a mistake? On having blood tests over the years it always said except water.

Some more fluid in your veins makes it easier to get blood samples. So drinking water is not a problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

It depends on the kind of blood test. If they told you that, best follow their instructions. If you want(ed) to argue, then better find out first exactly what tests they are going to carry out.

Edited by arithai12

For a while there last year I was getting full blood work up every month (now it is 3 monthly).

Doc always says to arrive well hydrated, drink as much water as I could.

Go out and wait for nurse to give me the printed appointment slip.... they always say no food or drinks 12hrs prior.

In saying that though... I wake 2 to 3am everyday, appointment is always at 9am.

I would have a black coffee no sugar when I wake............ then start pouring water down me throat for the next 6 hours.

Edited by Ralf001

On 4/13/2024 at 8:07 PM, roger101 said:

If its a Thai government hospital , good luck with an 8 am appointment . I had the same last week . Was given an appointment at 8 am for a CBC . No food for 12 hours . My last meal was at 5 pm the previous day . Hospital waiting room was packed . I finally saw the doctor at 11 am . With him less than 1 minute and he gave me a paper request to take to the blood test room . Got home at mid-day . In all 19 hours without food .

Hematology room was empty and I was tested within 2 minutes . Government hospital systems need updating . So waited 3 hours in an unhealthy waiting room . I asked the Thai nurses why I had to wait and they said , when your ticket number is called you can see the doctor . Told them have an appointment for a blood test but they did not give a xxxx.

Pure water has always been OK before any blood test . As Sheryl said , some blood tests do allow food to be eaten but alcohol is best avoided . 

It seems that is the info given out in Thailand. One of our family members was told that, and my wife asked me if it was right as In Oz we are told plain water is ok..

On 4/16/2024 at 7:19 AM, superal said:

If its a Thai government hospital , good luck with an 8 am appointment . I had the same last week . Was given an appointment at 8 am for a CBC . No food for 12 hours .

There is no need for any type of fasting before a CBC, if that is all that is being tested.

Lab appointment slips here tend to say the same thing regardless of test. And hospital staff (not doctors) may tend to just reflexively say no food etc without stopping to check what test and what is really needed.  If in doubt ask the doctor ordering the test, not the lab staff or clerks issuing the appointment.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 3:40 AM, arithai12 said:

It depends on the kind of blood test. If they told you that, best follow their instructions. If you want(ed) to argue, then better find out first exactly what tests they are going to carry out.

The "instructions", unless given specifically by the doctor ordering the test, tend to be boilerplate and err on the side of excessive restriction.

I cannot offhand think of a single test that would preclude drinking plain water.

Taking not even water for 12 hours (which may be much more by the time the blood is drawn) risks dehydration, especially in this hot weather. Which may in fact skew some test results.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:19 PM, superal said:

good luck with an 8 am appointment

From experience it seems everyone on the 30 baht scheme is given an 8 am " appointment ' in every government hospital. It's bunk. The world and his wife/ husband arrive even earlier to get a parking slot. The triage nurses who you always see first arrive around 8 am and start processing people according to the ticket number you get on " checking in". Then they give you a report for the doctor, they arrive at about 9.30 am then you wait your turn by ticket number again. Finally you see a doctor for a few minutes who gives you a prescription (or referral to another department) if needed. Then you wait your turn again at the pharmacy section. It all takes hours of waiting.

If you go early or at the appointment time you are almost guaranteed not to get out before noon. If you go later you'll probably still get out by 1pm. But that's also when the doctors take their lunch break and you may get stuck there until the afternoon if not seen before they do. Mostly though the vast crowds at our local hospitals are all cleared by 1 pm and the places are deserted. 

In my experience with Thai family they insist on  going very very early. So far and fortunately  I've just been the taxi. I've gone off and done shopping 30kms away and still been back well before they get out. So for an outpatient appointment including travel time for us it's in total a 6 to 7 hour "experience".

My guess is they give everyone the 8 am treatment because most Thais using the 30 baht scheme would simply not show up on time for a timed appointment which would lead to a really chaotic experience for all, nurses and doctors included.

As the French say: courage mon ami!!

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The "instructions", unless given specifically by the doctor ordering the test, tend to be boilerplate and err on the side of excessive restriction.

I cannot offhand think of a single test that would preclude drinking plain water.

Taking not even water for 12 hours (which may be much more by the time the blood is drawn) risks dehydration, especially in this hot weather. Which may in fact skew some test results.

Hi Sheryl , your opinion on the following please .

When ever I attend a Thai hospital , private or government , as soon as you walk in they want to take your blood pressure . My local hospital often involves walking from the car park ( !00 meters ) in hot weather , up a steep slope to the hospital entrance, on arrival , told by the nurse to use the automatic b/p machine which always give an elevated b/p reading . So I tell her give me 5 minutes and I will do the test again . Results are then OK . I was always led to believe that you have to sit and relax for 5 minutes to do a b/p test . But does not happen for me in Thailand .

5 minutes ago, superal said:

When ever I attend a Thai hospital , private or government , as soon as you walk in they want to take your blood pressure . My local hospital often involves walking from the car park ( !00 meters ) in hot weather , up a steep slope to the hospital entrance, on arrival , told by the nurse to use the automatic b/p machine which always give an elevated b/p reading . So I tell her give me 5 minutes and I will do the test again . Results are then OK . I was always led to believe that you have to sit and relax for 5 minutes to do a b/p test . But does not happen for me in Thailand .

One of the nurses gave me high bloodpressure, so I had to retake it several times.

If you in good shape, they will look for abnormalities and already consider you had been walking stairs. If something wrong they will see, and retest. I feel it is just a formality, but for me I want to know, so always ask for retake if its not close to 120 avove 80

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Yes, you should first rest and relax if you just had  a steep walk or other physical or mental exertion. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no need for any type of fasting before a CBC, if that is all that is being tested.

Lab appointment slips here tend to say the same thing regardless of test. And hospital staff (not doctors) may tend to just reflexively say no food etc without stopping to check what test and what is really needed.  If in doubt ask the doctor ordering the test, not the lab staff or clerks issuing the appointment.

It was the young doctor who told me to fast . All the doctors who take care of walk in patients in my local government hospital are straight out of medical school and are expected to diagnose every malady . They must be making mistakes and they are not supervised .

17 minutes ago, superal said:

It was the young doctor who told me to fast . All the doctors who take care of walk in patients in my local government hospital are straight out of medical school and are expected to diagnose every malady . They must be making mistakes and they are not supervised .

I would reconsider going there for other than really simple, clearcut issues.

Where ard uou located? It is usually worth a bit extra travel to attend a higher level hospital. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:34 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I would assume so.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:34 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's good to drink water before a blood test. It helps keep more fluid in your veins, which can make it easier to get a sample of your blood.

What a load of baloney. Blood for testing is taken from ARTERIES.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:09 AM, newbee2022 said:

Some more fluid in your veins makes it easier to get blood samples. So drinking water is not a problem.

Does drinking water really thin your blood down? And it is taken from an artery, not a vein.

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Where ard uou located? It is usually worth a bit extra travel to attend a higher level hospital. 

Both a top-level Private hospital, and the local Government hospital asked me not to eat or drink 8 hours before a blood test.

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Surin . Recently attended a private hospital and saw a haematologist who also took a CBC and sent the blood to Bangkok for analysis because I have been diagnosed with anemia . Colonoscopy and gastroscopy results were negative . I will see the hematologist next week for results . 

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Both a top-level Private hospital, and the local Government hospital asked me not to eat or drink 8 hours before a blood test.

My hospital is private.

My doc always says only water allowed 12 hrs before blood extraction.

Appointment slip always say no food or drink 12 hours prior.

I reckon I will take the advice of my doc rather than the nursing assistant that print toe appointment form.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Does drinking water really thin your blood down? And it is taken from an artery, not a vein.

To me, it is virtually unheard of for blood to be drawn from an artery in an outpatient setting. I think it's 100% from a vein. The only place you might have blood taken from an artery is in the emergency department or if you are admitted and have a severe condition.