BREAKING NEWS! Iran potentially triggers World War 3

george

3 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Israel didn't just violate Iran's consulate, it also violated Syria's airspace and could have endangered its citizens.

It did indeed but the credibility/legality of the Syrian state is questionable, is it not?  I don't mean to make light of it but there are very few countries that have any respect for the Syrian regime and therefore the current state.

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

It did indeed but the credibility/legality of the Syrian state is questionable, is it not?  I don't mean to make light of it but there are very few countries that have any respect for the Syrian regime and therefore the current state.

Granted, but again - we should all just follow the law rather than break it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, AreYouGerman said:

Wait, now you call it an embassy after writing for days it wasn't an embassy. You're freaking hilarious! 🤣

Its easier to write than writing Consulate , even a fool would know what building I meant  .

You do seem to be looking for an argument .

Besides, I believe that the Iranian  Consulate was on the Embassy grounds .

Try to understand what is written, rather than looking for a reason to have an argument 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

I don't believe you. It must be a joke to call the IDF a 'credible source'. I agree, a source, but obviously completely and absolutely biased and nothing they say can be trusted.

I was joking but I can't be bothered to argue with you.

51 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Granted, but again - we should all just follow the law rather than break it.

I agree which is why I criticise Israel regarding their actions in Gaza so much.  I find it amazing when any state, carries out actions that it would prosecute its citizens for.  In the case of Israel's attack on the Iranian Consulate, I'm not too worried about the fact that it was a consulate - for the reasons I've already given. What I am concerned about is that what occurred there was summary execution and it took place outside the theatre of war.

Israel also recently blew up a car containing 3 sons of a Hamas leader.  Now, those sons were almost certainly Hamas members but what about the 4 grandchildren that were also killed in the attack?  Collateral damage again? Or are we now killing children on the basis that they might become terrorists in the future?

Israel's intelligence network must be second to none. They knew exactly when the IRGC members were inside the Damascus consulate and they pinpointed the 3 Hamas leader's sons down to a car.  It seems unbelievable then that they didn't know there were also 4 children in that car.

As a citizen, I wouldn't be allowed to kill someone who I believe killed one of my family but as soon as its war, anything goes for the state.

Its a fact that Hamas is a terrorist organisation that has carried out some horredous crimes for which they should be punished but I find it pretty bad when Israel calls out Hamas whilst committing crimes itself. To set yourself up in an ivory tower, you have to behave accordingly.

I am hopeful that when this mess is finished, war crimes committed by both sides will be properly investigated and punished.

Just so I don't get accused of anti semitisim again (not by yourself) - I am refering to Israel as a state, to its military and its methods. Nothing at all to do with its religion. Maybe I should include this disclaimer in all posts where I criticise Israel?

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

At least we know now for a fact how Iran, being part of the Axis of Resistance, will respond to the act of war of bombing their embassy:

How many times do you need to be told ?

It was the Consulate that got bombed and not the Embassy 

• Like 1

The most hilarious thing was when you said that I personally are not allowed to bomb any embassy but Israel is. 🤣

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Like, You personally can not legally bomb an Embassy, but Israel can do so 

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

I got you mixed up with Brickleberry .

He was the poster who asked whether he could bomb an Embassy 

Ok. But your way of writing is so funny. Everybody at the table is trying the most to sound super smart and beat the others and you're like, "bro, you can't just bomb an embassy". 😅

Anyway, you can have the last word for today:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

I don't believe you. It must be a joke to call the IDF a 'credible source'. I agree, a source, but obviously completely and absolutely biased and nothing they say can be trusted.

And yet we're expected to believe the Palestinian death toll numbers provided to us by Hamas

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

The most hilarious thing was when you said that I personally are not allowed to bomb any embassy but Israel is. 🤣

Bizarre. 

• Agree 1

Saudi Arabia publicly acknowledges role in defending Israel against Iranian attack

While Jordan had openly disclosed its role in the defensive maneuver, Saudi Arabia's acknowledgment came in the form of a summary on its official website

Saudi Arabia has publicly acknowledged its involvement in aiding the newly formed regional military coalition in defending Israel against an Iranian attack. 

The statement referenced a report by KAN News detailing Saudi Arabia's participation in the joint military defensive operation, which successfully thwarted an Iranian assault on Israel. 

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/middle-east/artc-saudi-arabia-publicly-acknowledges-role-in-defending-israel-against-iranian-attack

Iran attack shows Israeli deterrence policy ‘shattered’, Netanyahu critics say

Opposition leader among those accusing PM and his government of severely damaging defence strategy

Iran’s weekend attack is a sign that Israel’s key defensive policy of deterrence has been severely damaged by the actions of the Netanyahu government, according to the leader of Israel’s opposition, analysts and former Israeli officials.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/15/iran-attack-shows-israeli-deterrence-policy-shattered-netanyahu-critics

19 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Back to the proposition made in the title of this thread - that Iran may have triggered World War 3 by attacking Israel.  Whilst I don't think that time is yet with us, its a fact that we are closer to that prospect than we have even been since World War 2.

The West has been facing actions and threats, mainly from radical Muslim groups and nations for decades.  It would take pages and pages to discuss the reasons behind those matters but most seem to involve Islamic groups/regimes that impose a particularly radical version of Islam on their people. Some radical Muslim groups also fight against their 'brothers'.

The Palestine/Israel situation has been a particular probelm for even longer. There are very long standing reasons for that conflict and neither side is likely to get what it wants - unless they are made to.  The Palestinians will never succeed in ridding what was Palestine of the Israelis and the Israelis need to respect previously drawn borders.  I can't see things improving there unless a settlement is imposed on both sides but even then - their neighbours might not accept any settlement and continue creating problems

Putin began his aggression in by attacking Georgia in 2008, annexed The Crimea in 2014 and of course, invaded the rest of Ukraine in 2022. The real reasons for his attacks are unknown. Some say he is a bear that shouldn't have been poked by Ukraine's attempts to join both NATO and the EU - he doesn't want NATO or the EU on his borders. That doesn't make sense to me as he already has a small border with NATO and if he is allowed to take Ukraine, he will not only have a bigger border with NATO, he will have more EU neighbours.

Several other smaller conflicts exist around the world, notably in Africa where most of the other 'shaky' regimes exist. Again most of the conflicts involve Muslim nations or groups.

Although there is no current conflict with China, China remains a threat to many nations such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and The Philippines with more recent potential threats towards the latter two. Putin and Xi also made a pact in 2022 describing their relationship as a 'partnership without limits'.

What does the world have to combat these threats to overall world peace?  Nothing is the real answer.  The United Nations is little more than a talking shop, it has no teeth. It only has its 'peace keeping forces' and if they are attacked, they are usually withdrawn.

So, we have a can of worms where different groups seek different things, sometimes out from greed, sometimes seeking power and sometimes trying to impose their ways or religions on others. It is notable that those who are most aggressive usually have very poor human rights records towards their own people. They also, often control the news their populations have access to in order to brainwash them through blatant propaganda.

The solution, well maybe for another 80 years or so, probably is another World War.  Pretty sad really, seeing as humans are supposed to be the most intelligent species. We are an intelligent species without a police force though.

Personally, I believe we are some time from a full on World War but I do think we are creeping slowly but inevitably towards one. The current conflict in the Middle East may accelerate the process though. I don't think Iran will have been the trigger - more like the accelerator pedal, we have been going down that road for quite some time. Using the excuse of respecting sovereignty, we have failed to take on the main troublemakers and allowed their power to grow.

The current conflict in the Middle East appears to be diverting attention and funding away from the biggest threat - Putin.  He must be very happy - it may have taken him much longer to take Ukraine than he ever thought it would but things are not looking too good for Ukraine right now. 

People say that nuclear weapons have been the ultimate deterrent and whilst that may be true, the reverse may also be true. Putin has used the threat of nuclear war to deter other nations and NATO from taking the actions necessary to stop him. I believe that NATO and the rest of Europe will regret not taking Putin on directly or providing Ukraine with the means to do that themselves.

I certainly wouldn't want to live in Poland at the moment.

Excellent post, but I disagree with

Some say he is a bear that shouldn't have been poked by Ukraine's attempts to join both NATO and the EU - he doesn't want NATO or the EU on his borders. That doesn't make sense to me as he already has a small border with NATO and if he is allowed to take Ukraine, he will not only have a bigger border with NATO, he will have more EU neighbours.

IMO it is obvious that he does not want all of Ukraine, as he could never control that much territory. What he wants is what he has already, plus a Ukraine without NATO between Russia and NATO border. From what I read on here, that was the agreement some years ago, but that was forgotten when noises were made by IMO idiots that Ukraine should join NATO. America risked nuclear war to stop Russia putting missiles into Cuba, and now it seems America wants to put missiles into Ukraine. What could possibly go wrong with that IMO barking idea?

The solution, well maybe for another 80 years or so, probably is another World War.  Pretty sad really, seeing as humans are supposed to be the most intelligent species. We are an intelligent species without a police force though.

IMO we are a somewhat intelligent species ( a really intelligent species wouldn't destroy it's own environment ) led by morons idiots.

42 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Iran attack shows Israeli deterrence policy ‘shattered’, Netanyahu critics say

Opposition leader among those accusing PM and his government of severely damaging defence strategy

Iran’s weekend attack is a sign that Israel’s key defensive policy of deterrence has been severely damaged by the actions of the Netanyahu government, according to the leader of Israel’s opposition, analysts and former Israeli officials.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/15/iran-attack-shows-israeli-deterrence-policy-shattered-netanyahu-critics

IMO, it's clear that israel is vulnerable to any attack with enough UAVs. Well done netanyahu- by attacking Iranian territory in Damascus he has exposed the israeli soft underbelly to any that want to see.

Seems he lives in the past when the threat came from massive land attack, but as Ukraine and now Iran prove, the threat is from cheap UAVs en mass. As the west has come to depend on very expensive high tech air defense, the cost of such a defense against cheap UAVs is prohibitive.

Perhaps some clever people in the west have realised that and are trying to develop cheap laser defense systems, but they are some way off yet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

That argument doesn't hold much water. There is credible evidence that one of the architects of the 7th of October attack was in that consulate so from that point of view its very much 'chicken and egg'. 

Irrelevant. The consulate was on Iranian territory. An attack on it was an attack on Iran.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I agree which is why I criticise Israel regarding their actions in Gaza so much.  I find it amazing when any state, carries out actions that it would prosecute its citizens for.  In the case of Israel's attack on the Iranian Consulate, I'm not too worried about the fact that it was a consulate - for the reasons I've already given. What I am concerned about is that what occurred there was summary execution and it took place outside the theatre of war.

Israel also recently blew up a car containing 3 sons of a Hamas leader.  Now, those sons were almost certainly Hamas members but what about the 4 grandchildren that were also killed in the attack?  Collateral damage again? Or are we now killing children on the basis that they might become terrorists in the future?

Israel's intelligence network must be second to none. They knew exactly when the IRGC members were inside the Damascus consulate and they pinpointed the 3 Hamas leader's sons down to a car.  It seems unbelievable then that they didn't know there were also 4 children in that car.

As a citizen, I wouldn't be allowed to kill someone who I believe killed one of my family but as soon as its war, anything goes for the state.

Its a fact that Hamas is a terrorist organisation that has carried out some horredous crimes for which they should be punished but I find it pretty bad when Israel calls out Hamas whilst committing crimes itself. To set yourself up in an ivory tower, you have to behave accordingly.

I am hopeful that when this mess is finished, war crimes committed by both sides will be properly investigated and punished.

Just so I don't get accused of anti semitisim again (not by yourself) - I am refering to Israel as a state, to its military and its methods. Nothing at all to do with its religion. Maybe I should include this disclaimer in all posts where I criticise Israel?

And just how will anyone be punished if found guilty? 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO, it's clear that israel is vulnerable to any attack with enough UAVs. Well done netanyahu- by attacking Iranian territory in Damascus he has exposed the israeli soft underbelly to any that want to see.

Seems he lives in the past when the threat came from massive land attack, but as Ukraine and now Iran prove, the threat is from cheap UAVs en mass. As the west has come to depend on very expensive high tech air defense, the cost of such a defense against cheap UAVs is prohibitive.

Perhaps some clever people in the west have realised that and are trying to develop cheap laser defense systems, but they are some way off yet.

What are you talking about, virtually all UAV's were shot down and only a couple of cruise or ballistic missiles got through and hit an airfield.

Here's one of Iran's failed ballistic relics. It was a huge success for Israel. You're on a different planet honestly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xenophon said:

Cutting through the pseudo-history and pooling of ignorance, US stock futures today are up (not down as predicted by most). Are the institutional big spenders (who, after all, really do run the world) betting that responses, if any, will be measured and/or delayed.

Hopefully the neighbors from hell may not succeed in involving the rest of us in their absurd tribal wars after all.

After those positive futures, the market continued to fall, just as the pessimists had predicted! Admittedly, it seems more due to fears of inflation becoming entrenched in the economy than middle east tribal wars. For example, the oil price did not take off. 

However, the neighbors from hell are part of the background noise if thankfully not yet a central factor for the market.

From Arrow to Iron Dome: The economics of Israel's air defense strategy
How much did it actually cost Israel to shoot down Iran’s flood of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, and suicide drones?

The price of a single Iron Dome interceptor missile is about $50,000, and most of the time, it is directed at an inaccurate, primitive rocket with a relatively small payload. In the case of intercepting a ballistic missile from Iran, the numbers are in completely different spheres.

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctechnews/article/h18og9cl0#:~:text=The price of a single,with a relatively small payload.

• Confused 3