British tourist found dead in drain following pub crawl on notorious 'Death Island'

webfact

If people are interested in getting more info on notorious Koh Yao, I'd suggst listening to 

The Curse of the Turtle - The True Story of Thailand’s “Backpacker Murders” by 

By: Suzanne Buchanan

Narrated by: Eileen Buckley

It's available on Audible and some other outlets too.

12 minutes ago, kwilco said:

If people are interested in getting more info on notorious Koh Yao, I'd suggst listening to 

The Curse of the Turtle - The True Story of Thailand’s “Backpacker Murders” by 

By: Suzanne Buchanan

Narrated by: Eileen Buckley

It's available on Audible and some other outlets too.

ah, so the very same woman that has sensationalised all the stories about Tao originally has a book out, no 'vested interests there whatsoever!!, she in profiting form these deaths, no wonder she wants them in the news

Edited by frank83628
  • Agree 2

Koh Tao has problems both of perception and reality – and the people on the island who are for one reason or another reluctant to look at th evidence.

If anyone has doubts about KT, just look at the posts of frank83628 and you’ll get an idea of the weakness or rather total lack of the arguments of the denialists.

Instead of arguing to the contrary they are reduced to attacking the message rather than the messenger. Every time they do this they weaken their position as they show they have nothing to say

Whether their denials are because they are conned by the Chao Pho or they just too blinkered to get it or plain and simple cognitive bias I couldn’t say. Once they have started down the road of denial it’s hard to admit they are wrong….especially if they are intellectually challenged and can’t form an argument. or maybe they are just minions?

Anyone applies critical thinking to Koh Tao will see there is something wrong there – it’s not unusual as it exists all over Thailand, however here it is pushing the envelope beyond. Defining what exactly is going on is more difficult.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

ah, so the very same woman that has been sensationalised the stories about Tao originally has a book out, no 'vested interests there whatsoever!!, she in profiting form these deaths, no wonder she wants them in the news

and had death threats

23 minutes ago, kwilco said:

and had death threats

she claims with no verification!

24 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Koh Tao has problems both of perception and reality – and the people on the island who are for one reason or another reluctant to look at th evidence.

If anyone has doubts about KT, just look at the posts of frank83628 and you’ll get an idea of the weakness or rather total lack of the arguments of the denialists.

Instead of arguing to the contrary they are reduced to attacking the message rather than the messenger. Every time they do this they weaken their position as they show they have nothing to say

Whether their denials are because they are conned by the Chao Pho or they just too blinkered to get it or plain and simple cognitive bias I couldn’t say. Once they have started down the road of denial it’s hard to admit they are wrong….especially if they are intellectually challenged and can’t form an argument.

Anyone applies critical thinking to Koh Tao will see there is something wrong there – it’s not unusual as it exists all over Thailand, however here it is pushing the envelope beyond. Defining what exactly is going on is more difficult.

writing like you are addressing an audience makes you start to sound a lot like Ian yarwood!

Edited by frank83628
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sambum said:

My wife is from Esan and was shocked at the prices on Samui - then she went to Koh Phangan! (And not at "Party Time") She couldn't believe the prices charged for even basic Thai  meals and water! I hesitate to think what the "farang" prices are!

Same thing ourselves whenever we did visit a Thai island in the past - the prices are ridiculous.  IMO the people on those islands are of the view that tourists are to be ripped off - not that there is any difference all over the world. But in Thailand there is very little (if any) control by authorities to at least try to limit to ripping off.  I can remember Prayut tryng to stop the taxi mafia in Phuket ripping off tourists after they had just started to return to the island during Covid. They basically told him to go fornicate himself - just like they do to anyone that tries to 'control' them.  That attitude is rampant in Thailand - especially in the islands. 

Years ago I was talking to a Thai bloke at golf in Chiang Mai, and he said something like - "Thais are always ripping each other off, why should we not rip off Falangs when they are happy to pay stupid money".   Fair enough point. 

I agree that the deaths in Koh Tao are suspicious.

There aren't enough of them. With over 20,000 tourists plus per month, widespread boozing plus a few chemical additives, I'd expect a lot more to be dropping dead.

What are the authorities doing right?

Perhaps the buckets are watered down 

I think we should be told. 

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

That I don't know about but I am sure you have examples? However you were specifically talking about food and drink, I should have quoted your full post:

"She couldn't believe the prices charged for even basic Thai  meals and water! I hesitate to think what the "farang" prices are!"

My, my,  we are being particular! The entrance fee for the "Elephant Trek" at one of the Samui  waterfalls is at least double - as is the entrance to the "Zoo".

And one of my friends (R.I.P.) always asked for the "locals" menu at one or two restaurants that we visited, but granted that was a couple of years ago, and sadly, he is no longer here to verify the locations, and I can't remember the names - sorry!

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Same thing ourselves whenever we did visit a Thai island in the past - the prices are ridiculous.  IMO the people on those islands are of the view that tourists are to be ripped off - not that there is any difference all over the world. But in Thailand there is very little (if any) control by authorities to at least try to limit to ripping off.  I can remember Prayut tryng to stop the taxi mafia in Phuket ripping off tourists after they had just started to return to the island during Covid. They basically told him to go fornicate himself - just like they do to anyone that tries to 'control' them.  That attitude is rampant in Thailand - especially in the islands. 

Years ago I was talking to a Thai bloke at golf in Chiang Mai, and he said something like - "Thais are always ripping each other off, why should we not rip off Falangs when they are happy to pay stupid money".   Fair enough point. 

Same with the taxi mafia in Samui. At one time they tried to make "Meter Taxis" use their meters. Strange how many meters "not work!" 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2024 at 4:30 PM, frank83628 said:

it's an Island, everything is more expensive, not sure about full of scammers..can you give a personal example?, but yeah, many people so 'out of it', they can end up falling in storm drains, drown, crash bikes. Unfortunate, but they are a minority

Example, taxi with meter sign on roof, has no meter then takes you to hotels you didn't ask to go to, then owner trys to book you in at overpriced rates 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Example, taxi with meter sign on roof, has no meter then takes you to hotels you didn't ask to go to, then owner trys to book you in at overpriced rates 

That happens everywhere.

I cannot remember the last time that I took a taxi in Bangkok and did not have to argue about putting the meter on.

I do not even bother trying in Phuket or Samui.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

That happens everywhere.

I cannot remember the last time that I took a taxi in Bangkok and did not have to argue about putting the meter on.

I do not even bother trying in Phuket or Samui.

If the Police were doing their job, and they wanted to curb these practices, they could do it easily by confiscating the licence of any driver who has a "Meter Taxi" sign but no meter, or one that "no work", or is it a case of the tail wagging the dog? Maybe the Police are being told to turn a blind eye in return for ????

9 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

there are no meter taxis on koh tao, never have been, they are all privately owned 4x4's. only in recent years have they had to actually have a taxi sign & number.

Edited by frank83628
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

repatriating a corpse is expensive. 

Why repatriate a corpse.

Cremation in Thailand and send the ashes home.

We 'posted' my father-in-law's ashes back to the UK from Australia.

I took some of my wife's ashes back to the UK for a memorial service after she had died.

56 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Why repatriate a corpse.

Cremation in Thailand and send the ashes home.

We 'posted' my father-in-law's ashes back to the UK from Australia.

I took some of my wife's ashes back to the UK for a memorial service after she had died.

its a matter of personal choice I think...you chose not to repatriate the body. There is no right or wrong choice though. It's up to the surving family members to decide.