British tourist found dead in drain following pub crawl on notorious 'Death Island'

webfact

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

"Nice young Brits..."

Which one of my three words was racist? Brits?

Nope .. You reckon I was sarcastic about their lifestyle and drug addictions? 

Edited by Ben Zioner

13 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Died March 18th. And being reported April 14th. 

Any good reason for the information being suppressed for nearly a month? Other than protecting the image of Koh Tao and Thai tourism generally.

You got it in one!  The Thai press hasn't picked up the story either, as far as I know.  This incident was known about not long after it happened but there was deadly silence in the media.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps Namsod, the monster son of the headman of Sairee Beach is back. He appeared to have been banished, after his serial killing became international news, after the deaths of Hanna and David. Always felt bad for those innocent Burmese lads who were framed for that crime. 

The reality is, when you have amassed a fortune into the hundreds of millions of dollars, from illegal land sales, you are above the law. Any and all laws.

Dark Tao. Visit at your own peril. 

He's back alright.  He likes to advertise the KT pool parties and raves on his FB page.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Kerryd said:

So the guy goes missing on 18 March and NO ONE reports it ?
Not even his girlfriend ?
What happened to her ?
Why didn't this make the news - until nearly a month later ? And in a UK "media site" of course.

Funny, the Mirror article says she "posted several tributes online to her partner." 
Must be on a private platform or on a different profile. No public posts on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. 

Same for Theo. Of the nearly 20 "Theo Bailey" Facebook profiles I looked at - none are this guy.

I find it really hard to believe that he'd be out drinking with his girlfriend of 10 years, go missing, be found dead the next morning - and she makes NO mention of it ? Until it appears in the Mirror a month later ?

(Keep in mind that media sites like the Mirror and Sun "buy" people's "horror travel stories" and "buff" them before publishing them. One advertisement I saw proclaimed they'd "pay for your holiday" if you had a good(horror) story to tell.)

And no - there's no way "they" could cover this up for a month.  (I just found a Twitter post about this from a lawyer in the UK dated 30 March - with no links or references to where he heard it from. I responded to his tweet and asked where he got his information from.)

Funny, literally no information about "Theo Bailey" other than he's 31.
But we know she's a teaching assistant from Chelmsford and who she's working for and where (Welwyn Garden City, Hertsfordshire).

No mention of where he came from, or his job, or even if his parents were notified or what happened to his body.
And the article says:

"The authorities said that the case "was still open", however, no arrests have been made at this time."

"Thai police said they are waiting for the post-mortem results."

Riiiight.
I looked and no "GoFundMe" - kind of hard to start asking for money a month after the event happened. 

Lots of unanswered questions.

The information I've seen is that the GF is Australian and has gone back there.  She appeared to have been travelling around SE Asia before this happened.  Now we hear that she is a teaching assistant in the UK, which is news to me.  Her posts in tribute to Theo were on Instagram which I presume has now been made private.

The news of this death was most certainly suppressed and the British press have only recently been tipped off.

12 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

You got it in one!  The Thai press hasn't picked up the story either, as far as I know.  This incident was known about not long after it happened but there was deadly silence in the media.

Thousands and thousands of tourists die around the world each year, why would you expect them to be picked up by the media? It has to be an extraordinary event to get media attention.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Drugs on a Thai island - absolutely impossible! 

The folks on the infamous pub crawl were not only downing buckets of booze but partaking of "hippie crack" as well, according to the press reports.  No wonder they all end up wasted.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

The information I've seen is that the GF is Australian and has gone back there.  She appeared to have been travelling around SE Asia before this happened.  Now we hear that she is a teaching assistant in the UK, which is news to me.  Her posts in tribute to Theo were on Instagram which I presume has now been made private.

The news of this death was most certainly suppressed and the British press have only recently been tipped off.

incorrect Sue,  it was already in the daily mail days after it happened and a thread on here.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

incorrect Sue,  it was already in the daily mail days after it happened and a thread on here.

My name is not "Sue", Frank.  I'm not the person you think I am.  Sorry to disappoint you.  And, it was not reported in the Daily Mail days after it happened.  That was different article about the two Burmese wanting a review of their case, which was followed by another article detailing some of the deaths of tourists that have occurred on Koh Tao.  The Daily Mail only picked up on this latest incident at the same time as the Mirror, whose article is quoted in the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

only for you and a select few Sue, not everyone tries to see suspicion round every corner!!

Again, Frank, I am not "Sue".  I am neither of the two people you referred to as scumbags on another recent Koh Tao thread.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, frank83628 said:

it was reported a few days after, in the mirror and daily mail,  and on here, why would you want to look through his or his girlfriends profile? perhaps the family have made things private.... it is after all their business, not yours or anyone elses.

No it wasn't reported in the UK press a few days after.  Stop spreading misinformation.

10 hours ago, frank83628 said:

glad to see some fair reporting for a change, and that alcohol was mentioned, this is usually totally ignored. 

Yes, even "hippie crack" was mentioned. :whistling:

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Funny? thats so insensitive of you to think that, seriously give your sick inquisition a break! Morbid  much!! 

OK - English is a "funny" language - maybe I should have said "surprisingly"?

"Sick inquisition"? "Morbid much"? 😕 I was merely pointing out that in this country it is not unusual  for personal items of value to be taken/stolen in circumstances that woud be considered "taboo" in my old home country.

17 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

No it wasn't reported in the UK press a few days after.  Stop spreading misinformation.

if you look at the thread here about the burmese guys appeal you will find a link in there to a uk site regarding Theos body being found, i believe it was the mail online who ran the story back then, maybe the 1st or 2nd April. i cannot remember exactly, feel free to check.

Just now, frank83628 said:

have you any idea what that is?

Yes, nitrous oxide inhaled through a balloon, or a canister, for recreational purposes.  They are thinking about banning it in the UK because of the damage it does to the brains of young people.

4 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

if you look at the thread here about the burmese guys appeal you will find a link in there to a uk site regarding Theos body being found, i believe it was the mail online who ran the story back then, maybe the 1st or 2nd April. i cannot remember exactly, feel free to check.

The Mail Online did not run the story then.

6 hours ago, frank83628 said:

nothing has been kept under wraps, it was reported on 2 days after it happened, there was already a thread about it here, it's between the family and embassy and respect should be given to them until the autopsy is done or investigation concluded.

Oh give it a rest, Frank.  It was not reported anywhere apart from social media.

5 hours ago, paul1804 said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Can you enlarge on that...or provide something that links to it?

Are you not smart enough to get online and look for yourself!

I'm smart enough to know that what you claimed isn't true and that there is nothing online about it!

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:22 AM, save the frogs said:

these deaths all seem connected to diving 

I hadn't thought of that but yes indeed!

Have to see if he simply fell in a ditch or something more sinister.

12 hours ago, IslandLover said:

The Thai press hasn't picked up the story either, as far as I know. 

Maybe that is because a drunk farang being found dead is not of interest to the Thai press.

Not Breaking News - my wife died here on Samui. There was nothing in the press.

Silence does not mean that there is a conspiracy.

It just means that the press were not interested in the story.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, IslandLover said:

He's back alright.  He likes to advertise the KT pool parties and raves on his FB page.

I think sometimes when the law fails, or if in this particular case a local terrorist is above the law, perhaps the people need to take action into their own hands. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Whether you're hate Samui or not, the top family's on Samui, that seem to run the island seem to do a pretty good job of maintaining discipline and not allowing maniacs to run amok, as is the case in Dark Tao. There  does not seem to be any discipline on DT and as a result we seem to have a lot of killing. There is one guy in particular that seems to  do it as a hobby. 

I agree - Samui is definitely the least 'violent' and least 'mafia controlled' of all the islands. But like all of them it is a scam - just getting there is a scam.  

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, frank83628 said:

i have tried a few searches but nothing comes up. it would be a lot easier if you posted a link, i've been on & off Tao since 2003 and not once heard of a policemans being shot at the pier. i think perhaps you got mixed up with somewhere else.

I dont remember where but was reading about the Burmese boys last year from the best of my recollection, an article came up on Koh Tao's history of murder & crime. Due to several unresolved murders the authorities sent a new commander who according to the article was shot dead on arrival at the pier! From memory it was back in the 80's or 90's, It certainly didnt seem like a BS article!

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm smart enough to know that what you claimed isn't true and that there is nothing online about it!

I have no reason or motive to fabricate a story, I am just recounting what I read to the best of my recollection!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, paul1804 said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have no reason or motive to fabricate a story, I am just recounting what I read to the best of my recollection!

Perhaps, then, when your powers of recollection are so bad as to be completely wrong you shouldn't be accusing me of "not being smart enough" to research the issue.  If you did read it, it would still be out there and easily located.  If you can still locate it and quote it here, I'll offer my apologies to you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I agree - Samui is definitely the least 'violent' and least 'mafia controlled' of all the islands. But like all of them it is a scam - just getting there is a scam.  

This is true, the granting of the monopoly to Bangkok Air for the airport was a terrible mistake and likely a sign of massive corruption. When I used to live there for many years, I always felt very landlocked and I often felt like I was getting overcharged for the smallest things. And when I would ask them why they would say we're so far from the mainland. Ha. When in reality it was a 20 km. ferry trip. Nearly everything was overpriced and now I hear the rents have gone sky high. I do miss the weather and I do miss the beauty of the island when you get up into the mountains and down to some of the beaches, but that's about all I miss. 

• Thumbs Up 1