What insurance policy do i need?

My daughter is studying here in Thailand, so my partner has an O visa. I am unable to get one as only one partner is allowed. 

I have work back in the USA, so i still travel back there - so i usually just arrive in Thailand on visa exempt and head back to America before 30 days. 

Now we did have travel insurance. But what insurance should i be looking at ? Especially my partner and daughter? 

What about myself who is only here on visa exempts ? 

Also some advice on pre exisiting conditions in regards to policies here?

What nationality are your partner and daughter?

Most travel insurances don't cover anything inside the country where people "come from".

If they are Thai nationals, even if they don't normally live in Thailand, most travel insurances won't pay.

Travel insurances pay for acute conditions, i.e. food poisoning.

They don't pay for anything "foreseeable" like connected to preexisting conditions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What nationality are your partner and daughter?

Most travel insurances don't cover anything inside the country where people "come from".

If they are Thai nationals, even if they don't normally live in Thailand, most travel insurances won't pay.

Travel insurances pay for acute conditions, i.e. food poisoning.

They don't pay for anything "foreseeable" like connected to preexisting conditions.

American. 

If your partner and daughter are American and are based here in Thailand due to your daughter's studies, then they would probably be best served by getting annual medical insurance policies and not travel insurance policies. 

Thai-based insurers usually offer less generous coverage, and some of them may not have favorable claims-paying attitudes, so your best bet may be to find an offshore health insurer. Pre-existing conditions may be excluded or attract an additional premium depending upon the insurer's underwriting guidelines.

Your situation may be a bit different if your stays in Thailand are short. Travel insurance may be ok if you only expect treatment for urgent care and don't need treatment for anything long-term. Travel insurance will also exclude many pre-existing conditions. You'll also have to consider how travel insurance might interface with your US insurance. If you have insurance in the US and would expect to be repatriated in the event of serious accident or illness, make sure any repatriation or medivac benefits under the travel policy are sufficient.

You may want to consider checking into this company: https://www.wrlife.org/

It was recommended by a speaker a few months ago at the Pattaya City Expats Club.  A couple of members in the audience mentioned they also have medical insurance from this company and were satisfied with their coverage.      I have had no dealings with this company as my health insurance from USA covers me here and I have no need for their cover.    I am mentioning it as a possibility and, of course, recommend due diligence before obtaining.  But I did note they are listed by Bangkok Hospital Pattaya (BHP) as being one they accept - Listing from BHP website: https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/plan-your-visit/health-insurance/insurance-companies/

Nomad Insurance Question (might be relevant) 

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on Safetywing.com?

One of my kids is looking at it...