Belgian tourist brutally attacked in Hua Hin, friend seeks justice

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So many people comment on this without reading or understanding the link. I have no idea why that might be.

Happens nearly everyday, with nearly every story, eager to get the first comment in. 

• Agree 1

I wonder what it is about Thailand that attracts deranged lunatics on such a scale?

I've been an expat in five countries now. None of those places came even close to Thailand in that department (although Bali gets an 'honorable' mention for it's everdrunk bogans and a few crazed russian and indian nationals..)

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Belgian retiree was gravely injured in an unprovoked attack in Hua Hin over a week ago, according to officials and witnesses.

The victim, identified as 63-year-old Jan from Riemst, in the province of Limburg, remains in a coma following the assault, Belgian news site VRT NWS reported.

The incident has not been reported in Thai or English language news until now.

The victim, identified as Jan, was attacked from behind while sitting on a sidewalk by a German national who is known to have been living in Hua Hin for some time and is associated with a local martial arts club.

The incident, captured on CCTV, shows the assailant approaching Jan unsuspectedly before violently assaulting him, resulting in severe head injuries.

According to medical professionals in Thailand, Jan underwent a 13-hour surgery to address multiple skull fractures and is currently in a coma with an uncertain prognosis.

By Online Reporter

File photo

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Who did the foreigner piss off? That takes some effort.

Go to Hau Hin today they have more detail on story. Evidentlly the attacker has attacked several people

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Who did the foreigner piss off? That takes some effort.

A German guy according to the article. took him from behind while the Belgium guy was sat down. Coward twice over!

• Like 1

The guy sounds psychotic.

Let's hear more of the story.

The problem with these people who fancy themselves as mafia types is it all comes home to roost.

They are trying to put themselves in one of the reserved occupations, currently occupied by the Thai police.

• Haha 1

It does seem by the reports that attempted murder charges would be justified.

Members have commented that this German has attacked multiple foreigners.

It seems to me he has a screw loose and seems to think he is above and beyond the law, a common misconception when they get away with extreme violence a few times.

And so much for his highly skilled martial arts which involved attacking a 63-year-old Belgian man from behind.

We have ways of dealing with these people where I come from.

I hope the Belgian chap recovers well and gets the justice he deserves, nothing warrants this type of behaviour when they say the attack was completely unprovoked.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

I wonder what it is about Thailand that attracts deranged lunatics on such a scale?

I've been an expat in five countries now. None of those places came even close to Thailand in that department (although Bali gets an 'honorable' mention for it's everdrunk bogans and a few crazed russian and indian nationals..)

I've seen a lot of lunatics in Phnom Penn and Siem Reap also, especially these last couple of years.

Local Cambodians have noticed and commented about the foreigners who can no longer maintain the financial conditions to stay in Thailand.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Now go out and get that new job!

I've tried to explain these basics. They just looked at me like I was talking hebrew - "may lyu".

I think they found the lifehack - translate from Thai with Bing/Google free translate and use some "synonymizer" to make it "unique" and "SEO friendly".
nothing to do with actual reporting or story telling. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I've seen a lot of lunatics in Phnom Penn and Siem Reap also, especially these last couple of years.

Local Cambodians have noticed and commented about the foreigners who can no longer maintain the financial conditions to stay in Thailand.

Never been an expat in Cambodia, but have travelled it extensively, and I believe you. Saw some really weird stuff there.. Could be an overflow from Thailand, some probably attracted to the cheaper alcohol, and as you said, some no longer able to qualify for an extended stay in Thailand..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Sihanoukville was the worst I saw in Cambodia. They call them 'deathpats'. People who have washed up in the last place that accepts them. Maybe they have been pushed along by now with the Chinese development.

Saw one room with bloody swabs all over on the pillow and bed when looking to rent a room.

They seem to be preyed upon by other expats and maybe locals as well. They just go down hill with booze and drugs and end up in a tiny cheap room, usually close to a grungy entertainment area like Victory Hill, or one of those places near the water where there is nothing. Not the same as Pattaya and similar, it's much worse.

Strange things blowing in on the wind there, strange smells, especially along deserted dirt roads. Could feel something in the breeze. Felt like...lack of hope, for lack of a better word.

Siem Reap and PP was Ok for me if you stay in a decent place.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2