I don't give a hoot

Gandtee

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

After reading the title, I thought that this post was going to be about Bernard Trink. 🙂

I'm afraid Mr Trink (aka Night Owl) has left us and he no longer "gives a hoot" 

5 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I'm afraid Mr Trink (aka Night Owl) has left us and he no longer "gives a hoot" 

I miss old Bernard......I wouldn't have minded his job at the Post though !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What is it in Thailand where just giving a toot on the horn to indicate you may cross in front of me. Thankyou for letting me pass

Never toot to say thank you! How would you ever expect anybody to understand that gesture???

As for all these machete duals and punch ups you seem to be getting into.... All I can say is it's never happened to me. Are you just giving a gentle 'bip' to let somebody know you're there? Or are you holding the horn down for a great big long 'beeeeeeeeeep'?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Used a few times a year, saving pedestrians crossing the road and not looking at all.

they all lived, thanks to the horn on my car.

Now get out the way I'm coming through.

( that's the Thai drivers)

Edited by quake
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, JayClay said:

Never toot to say thank you! How would you ever expect anybody to understand that gesture???

As for all these machete duals and punch ups you seem to be getting into.... All I can say is it's never happened to me. Are you just giving a gentle 'bip' to let somebody know you're there? Or are you holding the horn down for a great big long 'beeeeeeeeeep'?

I don't think I wrote that I got into any duels. I was referring to the everyday reports of them. All a bit like Monty Python's 'You may not pass!'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

I don't think I wrote that I got into any duels. I was referring to the everyday reports of them. All a bit like Monty Python's 'You may not pass!'

Ahh. You're getting upset over hearsay. Got it. 👍🏻

• Sad 1

I use my bright lights and my horn on trucks, when they are hogging the fast lane on a major highway at 50kph. Usually it works. Sometimes they just ignore it and I have to use the slow lane to go around them.

Using your horn with cars can be dangerous here. I do it rarely. Only when someone does something incredibly dumb and dangerous. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Neither do I. But its the same with giving a flash of high beam. In the UK, it is, or was, I haven't been back in years, used to indicate to a long side vehicle that it was safe for it to pull back into your lane after overtaking. Or allow another vehicle to cross in front of you.

The only legal reason for flashing your lights in the UK is for a warning of your presence although its widely used for other reasons, like you mentioned. Rule 110. Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Edited by Asquith Production
add txt

15 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Neither do I. But its the same with giving a flash of high beam. In the UK, it is, or was, I haven't been back in years, used to indicate to a long side vehicle that it was safe for it to pull back into your lane after overtaking. Or allow another vehicle to cross in front of you.

Here, the flash is to tell you to get out of their way when they're hurtling towards you on your side of the road.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What is it in Thailand where just giving a toot on the horn to indicate you may cross in front of me. Thankyou for letting me pass or for any reason is considered a challenge to a duel. Using fisticuffs, pipes, machetes, or anything that comes to hand. Perhaps horns should not be fitted to vehicles driven in Thailand. Fragile egos can't handle them.

Not just in Thailand.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Once i tooted my bike horn at a car after a terrible display of driving. He chased after me and threatened to shoot me !

You got off lightly... some really do get shot!

• Haha 1

I use my motorcycle horn every single time I feel it will make me safer.  And that is often in Bangkok.  Usually just a short beep beep to make sure that the other driver (who I assume is a moron that I suspect is about to endanger me) knows I am there.  If they continue in their lunacy they get several long beeps and if that doesn't work I lay on the horn til they stop.  

To heck with politeness Thai style when it's my body in danger.   

Never had a problem with anyone confronting me in 20 years of driving in Thailand. 

Edited by ricklev
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've used my horn about 3 times in years, Vietnam and India hell holes where all you can here is horns

Cars in India have louder horns than elsewhere. Indians really love to lay into their horns. They will honk their horns while stopped at a red light.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The non-horn-using readers are obviously saints and they will get their reward in heaven. As of me, well whenever someone on the road makes a mistake my put my fist on the horn for about 5 minutes straight. Despite warnings from the family, I haven't been killed yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, retarius said:

The non-horn-using readers are obviously saints and they will get their reward in heaven. As of me, well whenever someone on the road makes a mistake my put my fist on the horn for about 5 minutes straight. Despite warnings from the family, I haven't been killed yet.

I still say cool down..... one day you will get a reaction.