Who doesnt tip?

This question is mainly do with expats ,older guys who retired ,not tourists or " 2 week millionaire" visitors to Asia but you can answer if you want, but obviously if your a tourist you would be tipping everyone from the bellboy to the hotel reception 

And yes I said Asia ,whether you live Thailand ,in Philippines,Bali or Cambodia as a expat , do you still tip?

When you go for your coffee everyday or weekly so you still leave a tip in the cafe?

The problem of course is ,if you are a expat and you go to the same Caffe or bar must times and you don't tip then what's the service going to be like?

Is that a problem?

What about great eateries such as Cheap Charlie's do they expect a tip? ?

Who wouldn't you tip that others do?

For example if you have the delivery guy over bringing food you tip him?

Furniture removals?

Cleaners?

Barber?

Massage?

Lazada delivery?

Mechanic

Phone repair?

Grab/bolt driver ?

Do you tip far less now your an expat in Asia rather than a tourist?

Who either as a tourist or a expat doesn't tip and the reasons why 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Only at food type places and usually I leave whatever the change is.

Most situations , no, I don't tip.

I'm thinking and I have no evidence but I'm thinking tipping is going out of fashion with expats living in Asia 

Of course many are in fixed incomes and cannot tip all the time 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i tip my massage lady as i usually return to her weekly..also any services i use often and they do good work..my mbike mech......waitstaff at the pub....

This is what I'm talking about and no disrespect to you but ........are you now a minority do you think ?

Are these current expats still doing the same as you ?

I don't think it's as common as it once was especially in non tourist areas 

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

You up at 6am? On a Saturday morning? 

I wake at 3am, but that is none of your business.

FWIW it is just gone 7am.... what timezone are you in ?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I wake at 3am, but that is none of your business.

FWIW it is just gone 7am.... what timezone are you in ?

Wheels , Stop replying to my posts ,your blocked anyway Wheels !

I have to unblock your post to read it ,too time consuming,it goes into a advert then I have to read it

Get out of your wheelchair wheels and do something constructive instead of replying to my posts ,stay away from my posts !!

You see my posts block them like done to you wheely 

And don't reply ,your blocked and I couldn't be bothered trying to open your blocked  post and go to adverts for a few minutes to read it

Your blocked now rack off !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

And don't reply ,your blocked and I couldn't be bothered trying to open your blocked  post and go to adverts for a few minutes to read it

Your blocked now rack off !

HI Georgina,

Now what about that timezone you are posting from as clearly you are not in Thailand.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

dont know--dont care --why does it matter or affect u?  its between me and the service someone gives me--my massage lady does a good job and she works hard..i ask for her by name--she earned it

i pay what i feel the service was worth....ive worked hospitality all my life..ive been there

Yes same me I think it's the psychometrics of it all to tell you honestly 

A interesting Statistical point of view which is related may I say to the financial collapse of the cost of living .

Many of the retired expats are on fixed income of course 

Great to compile a great starting viewpoint thankyou 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Thats a disturbing reply.

Cage rattled ?

Nope..bum rattler ,I'm up ya mums bum Wheels 😂 

I had to laugh writing that

,I found it funny and started laughing , did anyone else find my reply funny ? Up ya mums bum Wheels! 

😂

Does anyone remember the NRL back in 2002 when Queensland vs NSW were playing and a NSW supporter  had a large banner displayed to  QLD footy player Wally Lewis

which read *Wally ,up ya mums bum !

And Wally Lewis saw it whilst playing and gave the guy the two fingers !🖕🖕

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

I honestly don’t know why it would matter to me one iota if a waitress is making less than she is able to survive on, or making enough to buy yachts every month. It’s none of my business. I don’t care either way and if she is poor then her boss should probably step up. 

I really don’t think there is much of a conversation or debate to be had about tipping. But this is often the case and as often happens people still keep talking about it. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

anyone who has worked in hospitality tips...they've been there....and know they get paid crap...just like you tip a bartender so he will remember you next time--or places i go often...

the extra effort gets noticed and rewarded imo.....ive walked in their shoes serving others....

Very true ,very true what you say especially regarding hospitality staff 

But I had it backfire on me a few times 

Eg tipping the hotel reception only to find out they were only working one day a week so wouldn't see them again during my stay , obviously i tipped to get a benefit during my stay but it backfired 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

HI Georgina,

Now what about that timezone you are posting from as clearly you are not in Thailand.

Rack off is an australian rude slang for go away . That may give you a clue on the timezone

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Tipping was never a thing in the UK, except for a small tip for the barber and taxi driver.  So no, I haven't changed my habits since leaving the UK 22 years ago.  I tip the barber and I tip the taxi/motodip driver - that's it 🙂

Who don't you tip then ?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I honestly don’t know why it would matter to me one iota if a waitress is making less than she is able to survive on, or making enough to buy yachts every month. It’s none of my business. I don’t care either way and if she is poor then her boss should probably step up. 

I really don’t think there is much of a conversation or debate to be had about tipping. But this is often the case and as often happens people still keep talking about it. 

Excellent viewpoint and if one must say...a fine Gentleman too 

Edited by georgegeorgia

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Very true ,very true what you say especially regarding hospitality staff 

But I had it backfire on me a few times 

Eg tipping the hotel reception only to find out they were only working one day a week so wouldn't see them again during my stay , obviously i tipped to get a benefit during my stay but it backfired 

live and learn

20 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I got over feeling sorry for poor people a long time ago here. Too many of them anyways. Tipping as really dumb to even start doing. You're just showing off, and when you don't do it they hate you, and you always have to tip more and more.

Edited by rexpotter
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

live and learn

So that got me thinking , and you should know by your hospitality experience

Did people tip you because they wanted something, whether that was because they were going to see you again or extra service etc 

Or because they genuinely appreciated you ???

I guess it could be both but people are selfish 

Did they EXPECT more from you as tippers in your hospitality work and was you personally obligated to do that for them?

Edited by georgegeorgia

37 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm thinking and I have no evidence but I'm thinking tipping is going out of fashion with expats living in Asia 

Of course many are in fixed incomes and cannot tip all the time 

Depends where you are from, it has never really been a thing in the UK as people get paid a wage to do a job, in the USA they used to be a whole sector that worked for just tips, so its part of their culture to do so.

Here is Asia, some expats think its some kind of superiority and power trip to show they have money over the locals. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

I got over feeling sorry for poor people a long time ago here. Too many of them anyways. Tipping as really dumb to even start doing. You're just showing off, and when you don't do it they hate you, and you always have to tip more and more.

I don't think it's ALWAYS a case of feeling sorry for the service provider whether they be a bellboy or waiter 

It's GUILT that gets most people to tip and in sure StickyRiceBalls as a experienced barman could psychological make you feel guilty for not tipping so people do ,

Edited by georgegeorgia

I generally tip delivery drivers 20 baht.

I tip the parking lot attendants where I work 40 baht every time they get me a taxi.

I sit outside work and they cross the parking lot to the street to get me the taxi.

That is one of the best value for money expenditures I have as they are always eager to get me a taxi.

At the end of the day I don't want to go down to the crossroads and try and flag a ride. (doo da da doo doo).

Taxi drivers I give the change (less than 10 baht) which some are grateful for and some want to give me back.

I tip the parking lot attendant at my condo 500 baht a month.

The day guy only, the night guy is a surly bastard and I just ignore him.

I could save a few baht by not tipping but I don't really need to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I generally tip delivery drivers 20 baht.

I tip the parking lot attendants where I work 40 baht every time they get me a taxi.

I sit outside work and they cross the parking lot to the street to get me the taxi.

That is one of the best value for money expenditures I have as they are always eager to get me a taxi.

At the end of the day I don't want to go down to the crossroads and try and flag a ride. (doo da da doo doo).

Taxi drivers I give the change (less than 10 baht) which some are grateful for and some want to give me back.

I tip the parking lot attendant at my condo 500 baht a month.

The day guy only, the night guy is a surly bastard and I just ignore him.

I could save a few baht by not tipping but I don't really need to.

But what are the reasons for tipping ?

Is it because you"d feel guilty if you didn't ?

Or because the "service" was higher than normal ?

Or you feel compelled?

• Sad 1