Who doesnt tip?

I go through 20 baht notes like water in Bangkok, but thats just on GOOD food service folks and taxis, or the lady that bags my groceries or the doormen/security

In Siem Reap, I usually carry $20 in 1,000 reil notes ($.25). I hand them out left and right. I get treated like a king. And when you see how ordinary people live, it should matter not to you. 

Im from the USA, I won lifes lottery, Im not going to bregrudge folks my spare change if they are helping me out. Like carrying my groceries, folding my laundry, getting me into restricted areas in Angkor, hustling to get something done for me, watering my plants, picking up fruit, negotiating with the chicken shack girls, sitting patiently while I chat up backpackers, sharing some homebrew, carrying the plants, etc

Its the ordinary people in SE Asia that make your life comfortable

Edited by Yagoda
  • Thumbs Up 2

When you go for your coffee everyday or weekly so you still leave a tip in the cafe?

Yes, every day. Where I go they have great coffee and good service. I like to support them and keep them happy.

Delivery guy? - No

Cleaners? - Yes

Barber? - No, he own the business.

Massage? - Yes

Lazada delivery? - No

Mechanic - Maybe

Grab/bolt driver ? - No

Do you tip far less now your an expat in Asia rather than a tourist?

No

I see at least three big factors:

- Most important is the quality of service. No tip for bad or average service.

- If I pay in cash, it is more likely that I tip.

- In some places, like Swensons, if there is a tip box nearby, maybe I tip. If they don't have such box, then likely not.

1 hour ago, rexpotter said:

I got over feeling sorry for poor people a long time ago here. Too many of them anyways. Tipping as really dumb to even start doing. You're just showing off, and when you don't do it they hate you, and you always have to tip more and more.

The people who whine about others not tipping do the same thing anyway. What about all the poor workers in the Chinese factories who sewed your clothes together for Pennies. You wanna add 30% to your clothes bill to pay them better. We all know nobody would say yes.

Everyone is a hypocrite. Believe me. Every single one. They are all just trying to convince you how good they are (via tipping). That’s really all it is, just hypocritical virtue signalers. 

• Confused 2

Normal massage 50 baht

Haircut 20 baht

Farang food 10 baht

Thai food 0 baht

Agogos 0 baht

Massage and barbers are cheap so happy to tip them, restaurants i only tip to avoid the waitress tip Nazi's being hostile

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Tipping is ridiculous. Just face it. Really sit down and think about it one day and there is only one conclusion. The more you tip the more you prolong the problem too, like giving an addict drugs. You’re not helping. 

Employers are the only ones responsible for their workers salary. What if one month, for whatever reason (just for arguments sake) nobody tipped in a restaurant. The workers would be forced to go home almost empty handed not even covering costs?! Silly. Pay your employees. If you dont want to do that, then that’s your problem. it’s certainly not the customers problem. Think about it. We blame the customer, yet without customers there is no business. Tipping problems are all about the employer. 

keep thinking about it… what exactly am I supposed to do as a customer? Walk into restaurants and guess how well off the staff are. If they are able to live on their wage. No, hell no. If you subscribe to that system you need to wake up. How can I guess I have no info. But the employer does, he has all the info. If there’s a problem, he needs to address it. Maybe a lot of waiters and I think especially bartenders (at least from what I can observe) are way overtipped. Way overtipped. A dollar or two, or more, every drink. Are you kidding me? 

Problem is waitresses become tip Nazi's, if you don't tip, you'll likely be ignored or very slow service

I never tip in shops. Sometimes I tip to delivery guys.

Employer is responsible for his employees salary. The employees are hardworking and give special service? Employer is responsible to raise the salary.

Edited by zhounan

The "service" in Thai restaurants is the same regardless if you tip or not. Only dumb Americans would think otherwise.

I do tip massage (not happy massage) places and often very well.

53 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Silly. Pay your employees. If you dont want to do that, then that’s your problem. it’s certainly not the customers problem. Think about it. We blame the customer, yet without customers there is no business. Tipping problems are all about the employer. 

But you are the very one who said you don't want to pay more to have a shirt made so the workers could have better pay. A g word comes to mind.

I tip my barber, car wash guys, & masseuse gal.....All of which I've gone to for years.....

If we go to an "upscale" restaurant, I'll usually tip..... If we go to a local small eatery I'll leave it up to my wife - who usually does not.....She does surprise me & tip on occasion.... She's got her own system....

If we seek a service & they exceed expectations I will tip depending on the situation.....

• Thumbs Up 1

As I live rural, I tip quite a bit. Many locals try and fail at keeping their businesses going out here. If I find a mom-and-pop shop that I like I tip well. Chain outlets with tip boxes not so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Food delivery - spare change from order /notes

Taxi - spare change - b5-20

Local restaurant - spare change from notes - b5-20.

Special services - depends - b100+

Pretty much nothing unless I've made special requests

GH, Hotels - nothing

Every once in a while when I feel I've gotten an "old school Thailand" genuine smile and above average/great service, I'll give 200 for, say, a 160 bt meal. 

Otherwise, zip. When in Rome.....

Nasty American habit.

I'll tip 20 baht in a taxi, maybe also in smart restaurants if necessary. Never more than 50.

Carry bags to a hotel room, Ok.

Never in normal cafes or diners.

Usually not for food deliveries unless it's raining.

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

But you are the very one who said you don't want to pay more to have a shirt made so the workers could have better pay. A g word comes to mind.

Right? And if I don’t pay more it’s my problem. And if I do pay more that’s up to me. In other words, it’s all up the employer just as I’ve said ie if there is a problem in this tipping debacle, it’s with employers. 

and I didn’t even say that anyway, I said every person, for the most part, when presented with a cheap shirt or an expensive shirt (presumably of similar quality), will go for the cheap shirt… and yet they talk a big game when it comes to tipping. Yet they are doing the same thing and essentially forcing a factory worker to work an unlivable wage. 

im not the one not making sense here, other people are. Everyone is a hypocrite 

Edited by Robert Paulson

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

But what are the reasons for tipping ?

Is it because you"d feel guilty if you didn't ?

Or because the "service" was higher than normal ?

Or you feel compelled?

It is a karmic thing.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

But what are the reasons for tipping ?

Is it because you"d feel guilty if you didn't ?

Or because the "service" was higher than normal ?

Or you feel compelled?

I believe almost all tipping is societal pressure. We can just say all, effectively. 

Humans operate under herd like behavior, we saw it all during covid. Not fitting in kills people. They do anything to fit in.

what people fail to admit is they are tipping to fit in. They’ll make themselves out to be the good guy like “oh if it’s good service” some bull<deleted>. It’s just herd behavior.

I'm one the old retirees, and I tip where that is appropriate – for example massage; nightclubs; restaurants; workers that do repair job on my house; and some times the kind delivery man, especially if it a large item – people are happy, and it's worth it, especially if you are a returning customer...:thumbsup:

Normally, I don't like to tip but I'll do it on occasion if I feel it's warranted. For example, I took a Bolt from Pattaya to Bankok for 1100. It was a nice car, new, plenty of leg room, the driver was fast and efficient, he had three phones going charting the route and made good time. So I gave him a tip. It was over two hour journey after all. He seemed surprised.

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

dont know--dont care --why does it matter or affect u?  its between me and the service someone gives me--my massage lady does a good job and she works hard..i ask for her by name--she earned it

i pay what i feel the service was worth....ive worked hospitality all my life..ive been there

Most foreigners would now that Thais who employ Thais pay minimum wages with zero benefits or even less than the minimum wage.

Doesn't hurt to share a little. 

• Agree 1

Singers 100-200 baht, one of the biggest myths about Thais is that they do not tip, they tip millions to singers. Biggest one I saw on stage was 100k from one person.

Edited by proton