Who doesnt tip?

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

So you tip to receive a benefit from it 

And there is nothing wrong with that 

Others too because of feeling guilty or some are compelled ,eg the waitress tells you please give me big tip etc before she brings the food out so you feel compelled you must tip 

People tip because societal pressure, aka herd behavior.

If nobody knew if we tipped or not, nobody would tip. If you deny this you’re delusional. People tip to make themselves feel better. They do t care about anyone else. They want to fit in. Our entire society is based on herd behavior. Covid taught us this without a doubt.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

If nobody knew if we tipped or not, nobody would tip. If you deny this you’re delusional. People tip to make themselves feel better. They do t care about anyone else. They want to fit in. Our entire society is based on herd behavior. Covid taught us this without a doubt.

Absolutely Robert these are reasons too.

And talking about tipping to fit in absolutely, it's expected to tip in a bar for a drink in Pattaya  ,it's expected! 

So you do it ,it's a herd mentality

But what about tipping to benefit.

Eg you work as front desk in my hotel , I give you a 100 baht tip ,thankyou for your kind service I say before you give me the key to my room.

I then expect extra service from you ,eg better room next time I book or extra water bottles or whatever 

Edited by georgegeorgia

11 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely Robert these are reasons too.

And talking about tipping to fit in absolutely, it's expected to tip in a bar for a drink in Pattaya  ,it's expected! 

So you do it ,it's a herd mentality

But what about tipping to benefit.

Eg you work as front desk in my hotel , I give you a 100 baht tip ,thankyou for your kind service I say before you give me the key to my room.

I then expect extra service from you ,eg better room next time I book or extra water bottles or whatever 

Yes. I would agree that exists too. Anything that is selfish motivation I agree with. When people start saying “I tip to help out the poor guy” I do not believe that. It’s that they would somehow feel bad for not helping, it has nothing to do with helping the guy… they could not care less if you got to the truth of the matter

• Sad 1

I forgot to mention that in tipping bar staff:

Its 200B for unasked for throat

Its 200 B for a fake O

its 300B for a real O

I dont tip for Japanese style squealing.

Tjere are several guys here who tip on the same schedule, but deduct 25% for ladyboys.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, proton said:

Singers 100-200 baht, one of the biggest myths about Thais is that they do not tip, they tip millions to singers. Biggest one I saw on stage was 100k from one person.

Good point. I also tip singers around 100 baht. Even when doing karaoke in larger groups some Thais like to tip. I got just under ฿1,000 in tips last time I did karaoke, but normally I'll get about 200.

For bars and restaurants i would tip around 10% upto a max of 100 baht and for small bills under 60 baht nothing. Assuming the service is OK of course any problems they get nothing. If they don't bring me the change it's nothing. 20 baht tip for the hairdresser.

Edited by Henryford

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

In general I agree with what you have said in this thread, but I think some people do care, hence the go fund me donations. You get sweet FA in return for your donation, but you do it to help others. My wife regularly gives small amounts to people with injured animals too. There's zero recognition for doing so and it doesn't help our lives. I know the thread is about tipping, but tips and donations in my mind are very similar. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:49 AM, Yagoda said:

I go through 20 baht notes like water in Bangkok, but thats just on GOOD food service folks and taxis, or the lady that bags my groceries or the doormen/security

In Siem Reap, I usually carry $20 in 1,000 reil notes ($.25). I hand them out left and right. I get treated like a king. And when you see how ordinary people live, it should matter not to you. 

Im from the USA, I won lifes lottery, Im not going to bregrudge folks my spare change if they are helping me out. Like carrying my groceries, folding my laundry, getting me into restricted areas in Angkor, hustling to get something done for me, watering my plants, picking up fruit, negotiating with the chicken shack girls, sitting patiently while I chat up backpackers, sharing some homebrew, carrying the plants, etc

Its the ordinary people in SE Asia that make your life comfortable

Best answer, so far.

From the OPs list I tip for massage and Bolt drivers, plus restaurants / bars if service is not included  in the bill and housekeeping if I stay in a hotel. That’s it really.

Various reasons for tipping, but mainly for providing reliable/attentive/quality service. Sometimes we forget that the “backstage” people play a role in our satisfaction as customers, and they are sometimes the hardest workers. Just my view.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:06 AM, Celsius said:

The "service" in Thai restaurants is the same regardless if you tip or not. Only dumb Americans would think otherwise.

I do tip massage (not happy massage) places and often very well.

Better a dumb American then cheap charlie arrogant Eurotrash.

On 4/20/2024 at 9:21 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Problem is waitresses become tip Nazi's, if you don't tip, you'll likely be ignored or very slow service

or when you return. Think about it.

On 4/20/2024 at 11:42 AM, Andyfez said:

Nasty American habit.

I'll tip 20 baht in a taxi, maybe also in smart restaurants if necessary. Never more than 50.

Carry bags to a hotel room, Ok.

Never in normal cafes or diners.

Usually not for food deliveries unless it's raining.

"Never in normal cafes or diners." I hope you never go back to any of these cafes or diners a second time. :sick:

I've lived in Thailand for 42 years, and was stationed here in the Army for three years before that. I have never tipped once in that time. There were three times I was charged a "service charge" by a New Orleans restaurant in Bangkok, which had lousy service by the way, and have always regretted going there.

25 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I've lived in Thailand for 42 years, and was stationed here in the Army for three years before that. I have never tipped once in that time. There were three times I was charged a "service charge" by a New Orleans restaurant in Bangkok, which had lousy service by the way, and have always regretted going there.

I feel sorry for you.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Better a dumb American then cheap charlie arrogant Eurotrash.

I never give a tip for bad food/service at restaurant. Why would you? By the way I had a business in the UK

Tipping here is a personal act. I tip waiting staff at restaurants because of their smiles and helpful demeanor. Taxis (with whatever change is left) and any guys that deliver furniture to my house and carry them upstairs.

One of the reasons I hate tipping in the USA is that they expect it, no matter what the quality of service. Been chased into the street because of a small tip to a useless waitress. 😦

On 4/20/2024 at 2:39 AM, simon43 said:

Tipping was never a thing in the UK, except for a small tip for the barber and taxi driver.  So no, I haven't changed my habits since leaving the UK 22 years ago.  I tip the barber and I tip the taxi/motodip driver - that's it 🙂

I remember my father always leaving a tip in restaurants when I was young.( 40 ++ years ago. )  I asked once why, and he said because they work damned hard with a smile. Which they do, like my father I always tip, yes taxis too if they’re on time and drive safe. Otherwise my mum always had a Christmas envelope for the milkman, coalman, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Acharn said:

That's a first , no one else has admitted not tipping 

I guess there is a lot more and that can be for various reasons 

Great post

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

They do t care about anyone else

Sorry to pick apart your post. Most of the rest of it rings true for most people except this bit.

I do care about other people. Each tip is given with good intent.  I tip, often excessively, because I do care. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Sorry to pick apart your post. Most of the rest of it rings true for most people except this bit.

I do care about other people. Each tip is given with good intent.  I tip, often excessively, because I do care. 

You Bob are a fine Gentleman,your blood should be bottled 

12 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I never give a tip for bad food/service at restaurant. Why would you? By the way I had a business in the UK

I rarely get bad food or service. I'm one of the lucky human beings who God has granted serenity. It's probably because I tip

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You Bob are a fine Gentleman,your blood should be bottled 

Not at all, and it's disgraceful to virtue signal like I did. Time for some fresh(555) air and a walk. 

On 4/20/2024 at 12:49 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

I never tip in my home country but often tip the Line delivery drivers here in Thailand. Riding a motorbike in Thailand is very dangerous and these drivers deserve some extra help.

to continue driving dangerously 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You tip....and....most importantly you 😁 SMILE 

If you walk around Thailand and Cambodia smiling and saying hi, how are you to passers by, and being happy and saying please and thank you, and you tip on top of that?

Winner. I live like a King.

• Love It 1