Who doesnt tip?

I never tip in my home country but often tip the Line delivery drivers here in Thailand. Riding a motorbike in Thailand is very dangerous and these drivers deserve some extra help.

the tipping culture of USA is sick

everybody wants tip now...

how was it ever allowed to pay under minimum wage workers and fork this to the customers???  land of the free (exploitation) right...

yes, tip the change... you already get 10% service charge and 7% vat on top of your bill

and people get at least minimum wage here

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

This question is mainly do with expats ,older guys who retired ,not tourists or " 2 week millionaire" visitors to Asia but you can answer if you want, but obviously if your a tourist you would be tipping everyone from the bellboy to the hotel reception 

Who tips the receptionist??

The problem of course is ,if you are a expat and you go to the same Caffe or bar must times and you don't tip then what's the service going to be like?

Is that a problem?

Service doesn't change.

If you don't tip, how will service change?

You think they'll walk in slow motion with your drink? Spit in your food? 

What's gonna happen if you don't tip?

I have never experience better service when tipping anyway. They just take the money. 

Who wouldn't you tip that others do?

For example if you have the delivery guy over bringing food you tip him?

Furniture removals?

Cleaners?

Barber?

Massage?

Lazada delivery?

Mechanic

Phone repair?

Grab/bolt driver ?

I tip 20 baht for a decent haircut, 100 baht for a good massage.

Who tips for phone repair? Lol

Do you tip far less now your an expat in Asia rather than a tourist?

I tip less now because "when in Rome"

Thais don't tip, so why should I?

Who either as a tourist or a expat doesn't tip and the reasons why 

Generally speaking, I don't pay more for things than what it costs, though I do follow the local culture (I always tipped in my home country).

Occasionally, I will be so happy with a service that I will feel compelled to tip, like a wonderful massage, for example 

One place I go, I'm a regular. If they see me come in, they know what I will order, I don't have to stand in line. I go sit at a table outside, they bring my drink out to me. When I leave I clean up my own mess. Would they give me the same service if I didn't tip? Most likely. but I think they deserve one. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Edited by bunnydrops
edit
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

One place I go, I'm a regular. If they see me come in, they know what I will order, I don't have to stand in line. I go sit at a table outside, they bring my drink out to me. When I leave I clean up my own mess. Would they give me the same service if I didn't tip? Most likely. but I think they deserve one. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

McDonald's service is improving, excellent!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

As I live rural, I tip quite a bit. Many locals try and fail at keeping their businesses going out here. If I find a mom-and-pop shop that I like I tip well. Chain outlets with tip boxes not so much.

Im thinking expats in those rural Isaan areas tip far less than say expats from touristy areas 

I could be wrong , 

• Haha 1

I always tip.  Usually 40 baht. These people are making substandard wages. I couldn't live with myself if I failed to tip them something.  They deserve it. If the waitress is old or ugly, I generally tip more.

Edited by Felton Jarvis
Clarity

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

But what are the reasons for tipping ?

Is it because you"d feel guilty if you didn't ?

Or because the "service" was higher than normal ?

Or you feel compelled?

My first jobs were in the restaurant industry and tipping became ingrained to me. 

Service has to be very bad for me to "stiff"  (not tip) the server.  That doesn't mean making mistakes, it usually means ignoring the customer and being lazy with their approach to service.  I've only felt that way once in recent memory. 

You mentioned Cheap Charlie's.  I tip 40 to 50 baht when I eat there and the servers are shocked and grateful for it. That small amount of money doesn't change either of our lives but it does show appreciation and respect for their job. Intent still matters here, and a much smaller tip goes a long way.  There's a whole mindset that goes with not leaving a tip, and I avoid people infected with that mindset like the plague. 

I don't feel compelled to tip like we are back home, where a 20 percent tip on a $150 bill isn't even acknowledged.  

• Like 1

I always tip well on all services, restaurants, lawn care, pool guy, massages, caddies, parking folks… It just seems the least I can do to show appreciation of their services for me and my wife… 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pilot3Boz said:

I always tip well on all services, restaurants, lawn care, pool guy, massages, caddies, parking folks… It just seems the least I can do to show appreciation of their services for me and my wife… 

You Sir are a fine  Gentleman .

Im not a tipper, its an American thing but I'll tip if I feel the person deserves a tip. Massage place I will drop 100 on a 300 bill because it's an older lady who does a great job. They should charge more than 300. If the service is good in a restaurant I will usually tip. Normally this is in a fancy place, could be 100-200 baht tip. Other times in a restaurant I'll leave the coins or a bit more, same with beers.

A bellboy never in my life. I can wheel my own bags but if you want to take them off me and roll them up to my room thats great. 
Needed to move a fridge a few weeks ago 300m and asked the neighbour if he can help with his Ranger.
Very helpful. Gave him 500 baht. He was chuffed dont think he expected anything. Barber costs 170, I leave 200, they do a good job. My room gets cleaned weekly, I leave 50 baht on the bed each week for her. It would be nice to think others do the same to bump up her income but I doubt it. I might start leaving more. Anyway the way I see it is it's enough for her to buy a noodle soup when she finishes work. Ive been finding im tipping more and more the longer im here

Edited by Startmeup
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I don't tip my doctor or my dentist when I get my teeth cleaned and I don't tip cashiers when I buy groceries. However, I tip just about everyone else because having driven a taxi at one time in my life tips were a good part of my income and greatly appreciated. I remember in the early 1970s Australians would never tip because it was not a custom in Australia but they eventually learned to do it and became very good tippers. The French, on the other hand, could not be excused for their failure to tip because tipping was a common practice in France and they knew better. Also, I tipped in France, so it really ticked me off when they refused to reciprocate. Anyway, I tip my barber a hundred baht for a 120 baht haircut and just about everyone else, even jitney drivers.

So your in the Philippines?

Philippines has a tipping culture doesn't it ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Who don't you tip then ?

Everyone else....  I tip barbers because it's ingrained into my brain - my mum always gave me an extra sixpence to give to the local barber back in the UK.  I tip motodop riders because their charge is so low anyway.  Oh, when in Pattaya I always pay 20 baht for the baht bus because the 10 baht charge is just ridiculously small.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Most foreigners would now that Thais who employ Thais pay minimum wages with zero benefits or even less than the minimum wage.

Doesn't hurt to share a little. 

sharing is caring!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

So your in the Philippines?

Philippines has a tipping culture doesn't it ?

No, I live here in Thailand. I was last in the Philippines in 2014 when I had to make a connecting flight there from San Francisco to Beijing.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Oh, when in Pattaya I always pay 20 baht for the baht bus because the 10 baht charge is just ridiculously small.

Would that be the  guilt reason?

I'm have analysed what reason people tip

Great service, compelled , guilt , a benefit from it 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I only tip at the places I use regularly I find that an extra 20 baht keeps everything ticking over nicely

So you tip to receive a benefit from it 

And there is nothing wrong with that 

Others too because of feeling guilty or some are compelled ,eg the waitress tells you please give me big tip etc before she brings the food out and she tells you she is relying on your tip etc etc  so you feel compelled you must tip ..at least something 

I had a limo (sedan)  driver taking me to the airport several years arranged by my business class ticket ,he tried to "compel' me to tip by telling me most people gave him $30

I couldn't afford that so gave him $5, he wasn't happy 

Edited by georgegeorgia