Thai scooter tales - add yours

1 minute ago, G Rex said:

Thruxton R , Street Twin , Street Triple 765 RS

I bought the Street Twin (900) for my wife. Ridden a total of 32km in 12 months...   Alas , it is too big for her. Needs a new home I think.      (The bike, not the wife - although things can change very quickly here... lol) 

Funny you should say that.  I met this tiny kiwi lass outside a shop in NZ.   She was riding a Street Triple.  Extremely tidy bike and she was in full leathers (Tidy too!) 

She loved the bike and said she'd been looking at one for ages.  Took the plunge and said she never regretted doing so. 

I watched her mount the bike and disappear.  Her feet barely touched the tarmac but she knew how to handle it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Many of us have more than 1 bike. Size of penis or size of bank account hasn't anything to do with the discussion.

I also go in the mountains with a Honda Wave. Easy to pick up if dropped, easy to turn around on a narrow trail. I doubt you would follow me on the real bike you can afford.

IMG-20240103-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240320-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240320-WA0005.jpg

Having the choice of your two bikes, I would use the CRF for those trails. 

I could also use my Duke 390, but I would change my tires from street to enduro tires first. 

Or I would buy a small dirt bike if I would live in that area. 

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Having the choice of your two bikes, I would use the CRF for those trails. 

I could also use my Duke 390, but I would change my tires from street to enduro tires first. 

Or I would buy a small dirt bike if I would live in that area. 

Those aren't my two bikes. I did buy a small dirt bike or a small bike/scooter I could use on unmade roads/goat tracks. It has trail tires. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I posted my question because I try to understand why you would buy and ride such scooters.

I tried one of those things and personally I don't like it.

I understand when people ride them who don't know, and don't want to learn, how to use a clutch and gears.

I understand when old people ride them - they couldn't handle anything bigger.

I have difficulties understanding why anybody to knows how to ride a bike and is able to do that prefers a scooter like above.

Why don't you enlighten me - and probably many other like me? 

What is it what you like with those things?

Little engine, bad brakes, bad suspension, what's to like about that? 

I agree, I find them lightweight, and quite stiff, and it feels as if they're made for people 60 kilos or less, without a passenger on board.

I prefer something like this which is technically still a scooter, but it's powerful, super comfortable and a lot of fun to drive, and it really suits somebody with a larger frame. 

exhaust-moto-leovince-honda-forza-350-14083-14083k-nero.webp

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, papa al said:

Scooter brakes & suspension totally fine for mission.

Which mission?

a) Shopping around the corner?

b) Or a trip of several hundred kilometers?

a) Yes

b) No. Only if the alternative is walking. 

Decent brakes and suspension are just not possible for cheap scooters. And (almost) nobody would buy an expensive 1xx cc scooter.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

I used to hate small scooters, small unstable wheels, the belt drive needs cleaning and adjusting as much as chains, had a few from Honda Clicks to Yamaha Fino, always prefer my proper big bike (Kawasaki Ninja) over them any time of the day.... but then I discovered Honda Waves... the bigger wheels are perfect for Thai roads, handle bars narrow enough to squeeze through Bangkok traffic engine and drivetrain takes abuses fine, any shop can fix easily, even for hilly riding you can feather the clutch with your heels to engine brake

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here's why.... 

I had a scooter in Bangkok....   Loved it... but wanted a 'real mans bike'... (as you may put it).

I looked at the Harley Sportster - Saw a photo of me sat on it and looked like a circus bear on a trike.

I looked at the Ducati Scramble (Cafe racer) loved it, but - Saw a photo of me sat on it and looked like a circus bear on a trike.

Bought at BMW AD - Loved it, but a bit impracitcal for Bangkok and had to get a '20 litre soft collapsable box' for the back, cos I didn't want a hard box....    lasted a few years before I realised it was just too impractical and I didn't actually go on the long rides I expected to. 

I looked at the Trumph Thruxton R and BMW R-nine-T and realised I'm kidding myself. 

I wanted a Honda ADV 350 - they were impossible to get at the time, so I gave up.

I got a 300cc Vespa - Good fun has enough storage, I used it for nipping about and not a lot more these days as its just too hot all the time.

THUS... If you are asking why not a real bike ???....  generally becasue if in the middle of town and simply wanting convenience there is no point at all in a larger bike.

BUT... IF someone wants to get out and about, longer rides, of course, go for something bigger. 

I didn't start with those manly attributes.

I get your point.

There is a wide range of bikes available between a 110cc scooter and a big Harley. 

I ride a KTM Duke 390 most of the time in the middle of Bangkok. It's basically the frame of a 125cc KTM bike with a 390cc engine, somewhere >40HP. And it has good suspension and good brakes.

I didn't buy a bigger bike because in the middle of Bangkok there wouldn't be any advantage.

And I didn't buy a little scooter because the bad brakes, suspension, etc.

KTM-390-DUKE-MY-2017-150658_-1.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How does that work? 

as you press the gear lever down between gears, the clutch is engaged, if you pull out your foot halfway, you can vary the amount of clutch that's engaged, the gear lever on these 'honda wave-type underbones' are both ways as they're designed to be able to be pressed down with sandal  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree, I find them lightweight, and quite stiff, and it feels as if they're made for people 60 kilos or less, without a passenger on board.

I prefer something like this which is technically still a scooter, but it's powerful, super comfortable and a lot of fun to drive, and it really suits somebody with a larger frame. 

exhaust-moto-leovince-honda-forza-350-14083-14083k-nero.webp

Maxi scooter.... Way to go and generally brakes and suspension are ok. Easy to get upgrades although for a few shekels more the Honda Adv 350 is pretty much kitted out. 

Quicker than an Ethiopian with a Mcdonalds voucher. 

I've got a ADV 160 it's pretty good, perfect for Pattaya traffic but overall not a great scooter as I've ridden my neighbors Forza 350 and that's impressive.

What is the Rolls Royce of 350cc scooters to buy in Thailand? I've got a couple of friends that love their Forza 350's. Another guy I know swears the Xmax puts the Forza 350 to shame. I'm looking to upgrade next year. 

2 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I've got a ADV 160 it's pretty good, perfect for Pattaya traffic but overall not a great scooter as I've ridden my neighbors Forza 350 and that's impressive.

What is the Rolls Royce of 350cc scooters to buy in Thailand? I've got a couple of friends that love their Forza 350's. Another guy I know swears the Xmax puts the Forza 350 to shame. I'm looking to upgrade next year. 

Maybe something like this?

Sorry, I have no idea what is actually is.

image.png.4796c1081a04a3c1168a225e6948fdd4.png

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I'd be flipping a coin between the

X-Max or the ADV 350.

Better still hire each one for a couple of days. Personal preference will kick in. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't start with those manly attributes.

I get your point.

There is a wide range of bikes available between a 110cc scooter and a big Harley. 

I ride a KTM Duke 390 most of the time in the middle of Bangkok. It's basically the frame of a 125cc KTM bike with a 390cc engine, somewhere >40HP. And it has good suspension and good brakes.

I didn't buy a bigger bike because in the middle of Bangkok there wouldn't be any advantage.

And I didn't buy a little scooter because the bad brakes, suspension, etc.

For the same reasons I initially moved up to a ‘real bike’…. But the lost the practically a scooter offers so ended up stepping down again….

Riding in Bkk is no fun (for me) so it’s a convenience only thing. 

If I lived somewhere outside of Bkk such a Chiang Mai, I’d have a Thruxton or RnineT & also something like a Velocifero MAD 2000w for local nipping about… or just a regulator scooter & they are less easy to pick up & walk off with !!! 

13 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I'd be flipping a coin between the

X-Max or the ADV 350.

Better still hire each one for a couple of days. Personal preference will kick in. 

100% the ADV 350 IMO - they just look less bath-tub-ish…. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I posted my question because I try to understand why you would buy and ride such scooters.

I tried one of those things and personally I don't like it.

.... good reason not to buy one

I understand when people ride them who don't know, and don't want to learn, how to use a clutch and gears.

...  they are simpler and more relaxing to ride.  not everyone wants to shift.  Why I wouldn't buy an manual transmission car.

I understand when old people ride them - they couldn't handle anything bigger.

... age doesn't have anything to do with, unless they are unstable.  Then could get a large trike.

I have difficulties understanding why anybody to knows how to ride a bike and is able to do that prefers a scooter like above.

... might not have anything to do with knowing how, and just don't want.  Clutch just give you a bit more power, and in TH, who needs it.

Why don't you enlighten me - and probably many other like me? 

What is it what you like with those things?

... they serve their purpose, quick around town transport.  

Little engine, bad brakes, bad suspension, what's to like about that? 

... I have no use for a large (900cc or above) bike here, and would be impractical and waste of money, as roads are really made for speed.

5 hours ago, transam said:

There are scoots with a bit of go and comfort............😜

Not really.  Want more go, get an electric motorcycle.  I think mine has twice as much torque (31 vs 65) as the Forza 350 ... instantly.  Forza has more top end, but I don't need or want to do more than 90kph.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not really.  Want more go, get an electric motorcycle.  I think mine has twice as much torque (31 vs 65) as the Forza 350 ... instantly.  Forza has more top end, but I don't need or want to do more than 90kph.

Ever tried lighting your farts? 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Show me a decent looking fully electric bike that'll ride like a scooter and go up to 90kmh, doesn't look like a mobility-trike and is in the same price range as a regular scooter ????

The Vespa electria costs ฿250,000..... and only goes up to 45 kmh - looks decent, but is useless.

• Like 1

Started off on a 350 dirt bike, and make it about 100m before I hit a house and knocked myself out.  Thankfully the owner of (bike) made me wear a helmet, as that's what hit the house first, at speed.   Probably explains a lot, and amazing I didn't snap my neck.  My one & only experience till 27 yrs old.

Scared the <deleted> out of me, at 19, and not an easy thing to do.   Eight years later, with no prior riding experience, bought my first, Honda 750cc.  And amazingly, didn't kill myself on it, as many friends were betting I would.  That was 100% play bike.

image.png.533cd2850a88b9c190b1bec333a9b77b.png

(not my photo, but exact same bike)

Next up, bought 1st house, and GF, future wife gave me $2000 to help refurbish the house, as going a bit slow ... BUT ... buddy I bought the 750 from, when he upgraded to a 900cc, was selling the 900, to buy a HD.   She was pissed at first, but loved it when we were cruising around all the time on it.

For 2 people, 900cc was just right, and plenty of power, and no need to upgrade to 1100cc.  I miss that scooter.

image.png.5e6fd6500fe4f4d7e84b8dd7868feb43.png

(not my photo, but again, exact same bike)

Had a 700cc (?) Yamaha, POS, but good transport to/from work, as didn't need to use the employee parking lot, at airport and could park under the terminal steps.   Saved 1/2 commute time.

Next up, TH, and Honda Sonic 125cc.  Fun little thing and surprised the abuse it could take, and served me well till I bought a car, almost 2 years later.   Livin' the Thai village life, 16 kms from town, and it was only transport for 2 years; shopping, loaded up with plastic bags, and school runs.

image.png.47896c9e6e7d91805cf5b69fd0b723a2.png

(not mine, but same)

Finally bought a car, new POS Vios, and picked up  Honda Wave along the way.  No clutch, a bit less power, but not much difference.  After we move to PKK from Udon Thani, I never really drove it, and no need, since no traffic. and the main reason we had it at Udon Thani.

image.png.3e7c6a050192743b27565b08a8fb7929.png

So it shocked the wife when I bought another scooter, the DECO SUSU, 3000w motor, and love it.   Ride most days when weather is cooperating.   Powerful, one gear with 3 power buttons and rarely use 3.   Top end is 90 kph, and have noticed me doing 87 kph, so accurate.   Usually 50-60 is top speed for me, as dog is in the basket, and don't want to dry her eyes out, and no need to go any faster where we live.  Most people don't, unless on Hwy #4

image.png.9a7fd60a9dd5423b68c4e2e300035bc3.png

Got an E-bike, DIY conversion on a Schwinn, w/1000w motor and will do 45kph, though keep down around 25kph, as don't need to be noticed, and suspension & brakes aren't exactly made for 45kph.

Today was top up battery & tires day for the bikes, while spring cleaning...

image.png.05c8f89da3d8c0b7b6eed33ac665ab21.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Show me a decent looking fully electric bike that'll ride like a scooter and go up to 90kmh, doesn't look like a mobility-trike and is in the same price range as a regular scooter ????

The Vespa electria costs ฿250,000..... and only goes up to 45 kmh - looks decent, but is useless.

Mine will do 90kph and only cost ฿63,640, all in & registered.... 

... better research, buy smarter, be happier ... :coffee1:

image.png.1412fa06ee93ee192ba12014702350b2.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Mine will do 90kph and only cost ฿63,640, all in & registered.... 

... better research, buy smarter, be happier ... :coffee1:

image.png.1412fa06ee93ee192ba12014702350b2.png

Not bad - decent value as a local run around...  not great lookers, but neither is honda click or fino....

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Which mission?

a) Shopping around the corner?

b) Or a trip of several hundred kilometers?

a) Yes

b) No. Only if the alternative is walking. 

Decent brakes and suspension are just not possible for cheap scooters. And (almost) nobody would buy an expensive 1xx cc scooter.

In the olden days

papa rode a Nouvo from Chiangmai to Buriram.

[could have taken the bus I guess]

Pretty fun.!

Brakes and suspension held up fine.

Small fuel tank was a negative.

Edited by papa al