Thai scooter tales - add yours

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not bad - decent value as a local run around...  not great lookers, but neither is honda click or fino....

If you want to be stylish, there's the Max One ... little pricey at 65.9k, lower specs, and not sure if qualifies for the 18k incentive, as not on that list.   They even have 2 scooter that will accept 2 batteries, for more range. 

image.png.24636ff9698d924d6448af309831a215.png

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you want to be stylish, there's the Max One ... little pricey at 65.9k, lower specs, and not sure if qualifies for the 18k incentive, as not on that list.   They even have 2 scooter that will accept 2 batteries, for more range. 

image.png.24636ff9698d924d6448af309831a215.png

Looks cool....      Does it come with Spoked Wheels ????

..... So I can tape some card to the rear frame which flaps across the spokes so it sounds more like a real bike !!!!!   :giggle:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why now a scooter?

If you 70 or older, then I might understand that.

But otherwise, IMHO, just buy a real bike. 

And those big boxes on the rear make the handling a lot worse. 

I find gearless bikes more pleasant in a Thai urban environment. I enjoyed my PCX 160 for a couple of years and am looking forward to the 2024 Forza 350 I ordered last week.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Show me a decent looking fully electric bike that'll ride like a scooter and go up to 90kmh, doesn't look like a mobility-trike and is in the same price range as a regular scooter ????

These are going for around 40k baht. 

I spotted this for sale in Pattaya.

Problem is I can't find anyone selling with a green book

IMG_20240425_014626.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Looks cool....      Does it come with Spoked Wheels ????

..... So I can tape some card to the rear frame which flaps across the spokes so it sounds more like a real bike !!!!!   :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Having the choice of your two bikes, I would use the CRF for those trails. 

I could also use my Duke 390, but I would change my tires from street to enduro tires first. 

Or I would buy a small dirt bike if I would live in that area. 

I thought you were referring to motorcycles.

390 cc hardly qualifies.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

I thought you were referring to motorcycles.

390 cc hardly qualifies.

It is not my intention to play that who has the bigger bike game. It doesn't make sense.

My comments and questions were about: Which bike is suitable for which task?

My 390 is perfect for the city. I could use it to ride 500km in one day, but I wouldn't.

There are obviously uses for little scooters or big sport bikes and choppers. But they are different. But then, you know that already. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Saw this thread Just my 10c's worth and I'll make a start on my scooter tales here

spacer.png

Until 2008 when living in Phuket I had long-term rentals, then got told of this Yamaha Fino 115cc being sold, Swedish man had bought it for his daughter while she holidayed here, and had been used only 4 months, 3800km, then stored. New battery, and removed a big screen and extra driving lights he'd added.

Bought it for 30,000 baht. 2009 had it shipped to Sa Kaeo with Thai Post, lived there a year, many dirt and gravel roads, longest ride was 380km in a day (with pillion!). Moved 200km south to Chanthaburi, sold it in 2013 at 54,000km to a friend who still had it at 94,000km before selling.

spacer.png

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

August 2013 bought another Fino, new 45,000 baht.

Now 96,800km and as per picture, well looked after, has had every scheduled oil change and maintenance at Yamaha dealer, no accidents.

At that age and mileage has no resale we'll keep it until it stops, daughter now uses it six days a week to/from work until starting uni in June.

Biggest single repair expense has been a new fuel pump 2500 baht in November.

spacer.png

December 2023 bought the Honda Click 160 ABS. 69,900 baht and so far 3200km.

Three weeks ago we did a 180km highway ride, all ok.

Considered an ADV 160 but my wife and daughter found it too big to manage.

Scooter life is great. Before moving here I'd always had bigger bikes, all the Japanese brands, two Harleys, a Cagiva and two new Triumphs.  Now an auto scooter! Such is life...

As well as Honda and Yamaha dealers there's also Lambretta and Vespa dealers in the city, Vespas are very popular with the better-off uni students and I see the dealer organises monthly group rides around the province for 150 and 300cc owners.

Happy riding.

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

August 2013 bought another Fino, new 45,000 baht.

Now 96,800km and as per picture, well looked after, has had every scheduled oil change and maintenance at Yamaha dealer, no accidents.

At that age and mileage has no resale we'll keep it until it stops, daughter now uses it six days a week to/from work until starting uni in June.

Biggest single repair expense has been a new fuel pump 2500 baht in November.

spacer.png

December 2023 bought the Honda Click 160 ABS. 69,900 baht and so far 3200km.

Three weeks ago we did a 180km highway ride, all ok.

Considered an ADV 160 but my wife and daughter found it too big to manage.

Scooter life is great. Before moving here I'd always had bigger bikes, all the Japanese brands, two Harleys, a Cagiva and two new Triumphs.  Now an auto scooter! Such is life...

As well as Honda and Yamaha dealers there's also Lambretta and Vespa dealers in the city, Vespas are very popular with the better-off uni students and I see the dealer organises monthly group rides around the province for 150 and 300cc owners.

Happy riding.

We have the Honda ADV 160 and the 160 click and I agree with your wife and daughter that the ADV is heavy to manouvre compared to the click. 

I  must say that the ADV has superior brakes . I had to do one abrupt stop on the click and it was doing a lot of shuddering but kept on a straight line . 

I discovered yesterday that the ADV has room for a case of chang beer in front of the seat. The 160 click has no possibility to do the same .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

2 years ago, rode a Nouvo 135 from Pattaya to Somdet to drop it at the village.

She wanted to take the bus with the bike, but relented and we rode 2 up. Took 11 hours.

Pretty fun.!

Brakes and suspension held up fine.

Small fuel tank was a negative.

Pretty fun?

So, how often did you repeat this or similar fun trips on a scooter?

Yes, the brakes and suspension don't die within an 11-hour trip. The question is how comfortable is such a suspension after an hour or two or ten? 

In my youth and home country I had a Vespa 125 for a couple of years. Here in Thailand I’ve had Honda Wave, Honda PCX and now a Honda Leaf (chose that because of the large under seat space). All great scooters. Use the scooter for getting around town and to the local market. Had big bikes too (BMW, Kawasaki, Benelli) Sold the Benelli recently because I’m getting up there in years.

Different vehicle for different purpose. I wouldn’t like to live here without a scooter.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the point and shoot aspect of the scooter is what makes it fun around towns.  When you've got a bit of traffic and a lot of stop and go, it makes sense to have an automatic or CVT. 

Sure they aren't really suited for long distance or lots of hill work but some do use them for that.  Take the old 1950s Honda C50 and then C70.  A virtually indestructible bike that a lot of Asian countries used as a daily workhorse. 

Cruising longer distances can be done more comfortably on bigger bikes, that's not in question.  However technology and all it's plusses and minuses has allowed scooters to grow into this segment. 

Maxi scooters can now travel long distances, comfortably, safely, at speed and be just as much fun. 

Nostalgia being what it is,  and its ok to ride an early model HD or an old British bike (Norton Commando).  But in today's world, I probably pass as bikes nowadays are so much safer and definitely more comfortable to ride. 

Although below doesn't look that way:

cover_634416a7db34c.webp.a37a1f0e42eeb7c4a3d804dcccc7a9e4.webp

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The question is how comfortable is such a suspension after an hour or two or ten? 

papa's KTM Duke was harsher ride than Nouvo.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Maxi scooter.... Way to go and generally brakes and suspension are ok. Easy to get upgrades although for a few shekels more the Honda Adv 350 is pretty much kitted out. 

Quicker than an Ethiopian with a Mcdonalds voucher. 

I agree the ADV350 is an incredible bike. I just got my gal a new ADV 160 and it's it's a great little scooter. I will likely get a new ADV350 when it's time to trade this one in, which is still a couple of years away. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Do the guys who have posted pictures of their "big" bikes on this thread actually ride them anywhere? 

I saw very few big bikes on my recent tour of Isan and the Mae Hong Son Loop.  I do see quite a few guys on big bikes cruising around Pattaya in 1st grear and working their Hellboy sized clutch hand in the heavy traffic. They don't look comfortable, but they look cool; definitely hero material. 

I'm sure it's an absolute blast to do 180 or 200 on some of the new concrete highways that have cropped up all over the country. Maybe some of the timid big bike boys will make it out of first gear and past the grocery store to discover how great these new highways are. 

What time of year... .

Come cooler season, while on a trip over in that area I saw loads of guys riding larger bikes down from Mae Sod to Tee Lor Su waterfall (very windy fun road apparently).... 

I've seen plenty of large bikes out there on their 'trips'....

Perhaps you are blinded by your bias and just wanted to project the idea that the only reason you'd get a big bike is to show off at the local coffee shop...  hence you project thats the only reason others want one too... 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Do the guys who have posted pictures of their "big" bikes on this thread actually ride them anywhere? 

I saw very few big bikes on my recent tour of Isan and the Mae Hong Son Loop.  I do see quite a few guys on big bikes cruising around Pattaya in 1st grear and working their Hellboy sized clutch hand in the heavy traffic. They don't look comfortable, but they look cool; definitely hero material. 

I'm sure it's an absolute blast to do 180 or 200 on some of the new concrete highways that have cropped up all over the country. Maybe some of the timid big bike boys will make it out of first gear and past the grocery store to discover how great these new highways are. 

You may find Bob,  that a lot if these guys are now no longer as youthful as the once we're.  If they still have big bikes, they are parked in their garage to be polished once a week. 

Dreams of going for a long ride have faded over time and the trusty scooter get more use with every passing year. 

Accessibility and comfort have overtaken speed and bravado. 

Meatheads still have the macho bulldust in Pattaya/Phuket.  They are welcome to it. 

I'd dreamed of owning  a Goldwing once. But reality kicked in... Too hot to ride one in this country. Too heavy.  And really I don't have the time to do long trips. 

I agree there are some great roads awaiting for the boys on their beasts to let rip. But while other things are on their minds (Bargirls perhaps), the roads remain waiting. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

What exactly are you on this blog for? 

If you have no interest in scooters then how about returning to your sandpit and play with your toys by yourself. 

If bikes don't interest you then don't look under that topic. Sheeesh. 

This forum guarantees free speech. Even your's.🥳

If you don't like my post...just don't answer or scroll down.

Have a good day🙏

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Pretty fun?

So, how often did you repeat this or similar fun trips on a scooter?

Yes, the brakes and suspension don't die within an 11-hour trip. The question is how comfortable is such a suspension after an hour or two or ten? 

Must be more comfortable than a KTM as you don't seem to believe riders can have fun on a scooter. Have done many trips on that 135 from Pattaya. Once on a trip from Pattaya along the Mekong and heading to the Golden Triangle. Cut short by Covid in 2021. Decided to head back to Pattaya from Lampang including right through Bangkok. 750kms in a day. Happy as.  I now have the Xerox. Very versatile scooter. Great in the city and out on the open road. Not looking to do 160 on a bike.

Not sure why you have a problem with scooters, but each to their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Must be more comfortable than a KTM as you don't seem to believe riders can have fun on a scooter. Have done many trips on that 135 from Pattaya. Once on a trip from Pattaya along the Mekong and heading to the Golden Triangle. Cut short by Covid in 2021. Decided to head back to Pattaya from Lampang including right through Bangkok. 750kms in a day. Happy as.  I now have the Xerox. Very versatile scooter. Great in the city and out on the open road. Not looking to do 160 on a bike.

Not sure why you have a problem with scooters, but each to their own.

Until now I had 6 bikes in my life, and over 20 years riding them. I have enough experience to know differences of different types of bikes. I also know how comfortable it was/is to ride them for hours.

Little scooters, like shown in the beginning of this thread, are not comfortable. That is no big deal when one uses them for trips around the corner, but it becomes pretty obvious on longer trips.

Sure, it's possible to take them on longer trips. It's also possible to walk or take public busses. But is that fun? If anybody likes to do longer trips, and can afford a more comfortable bike, why wouldn't you use a more comfortable bike?

• Agree 1

What about the Piaggio Mp3 scooters with 3 wheels ? Far safer in the ruthless Thai roads.

Pity the Piaggio network with reliable maintenance service is poor in many smaller but popular towns.

44 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Why is the bike not comfortable? Everyone is different. It is comfortable for me. Get it, I'm not the same as you. It's not comfortable for you. I get that. I am 69 and 6 foot 2. I found a cushion in Mr. DIY that is great and very comfortable. Bought the same one for the GF for the 650KMS trip. Not a peep from her.

Sorry we are not all the same as you. Some of us enjoy scooters.

I used to only own manual cars. I bought an automatic 6 years ago. Sure, automatics weren't that great 50 years ago, but I should have got one. They are just so much easier and more relaxing to drive. Same, same scooters.

I think you are getting a bit defensive there.... 

A Gold Wing on a 750km ride is going to be 100% more comfortable than Scoopy !!!...     

Of course we each have our preferences, but a lot of opinion is limited to backing the choices we made rather than being truly honest with ourselves. 

In the same context, a Gold Wing is going to be useless around Bangkok, but then for a similar reason but to a lesser degree so are the Maxi-scooters with bathtub design. 

IMO - Larger bikes, i.e. real motorcycles, are more comfortable, have better brakes and better suspension - I don't think there is much doubt about that at all... anyone suggesting otherwise is perhaps bias for other reasons.

Scooters of course, are simply bucket loads more convenient and thats why most of us who ride, have one. 

Those who have larger bikes will nearly always also have a scooter as a run around.