Govt spokesman assures Move Forward MP: Rama 2 road completion set for next year

snoop1130

rama2.png

A spokesperson for the government, Chai Wacharonke, asserted today that all construction projects on the Rama 2 Road will be finished by next year. This completion is expected to significantly ease the current traffic congestion.

This statement came in the wake of a disagreement with Rukchanok Srinork, a Move Forward MP for Bangkok, over the state of traffic on the Rama 2 road. The debate unfolded on social media after Chai posted about a recent trip he took on the road, in which he stated that the traffic conditions weren’t as bad as reported.

Rukchanok responded with a post stating that Chai's one-time road use and claim of manageable traffic overlooked the larger issue, which she implied was similar to an incident where Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin claimed Chiang Mai's air wasn't polluted after a single bike ride. She challenged Chai to reside in the Rama 2 area for a month to understand daily traffic conditions.

Emphasizing the need for government recognition of existing problems before they can be resolved, Rukchanok posed a question about people's gain when problems they endure daily is denied by the government.

However, Chai defended that construction projects on Rama 2 Road, spanning nearly 50 years, were being addressed as per the prime minister's directive to complete them all within the next year. He further stated that there are currently four active construction initiatives on the road, including elevated roads, motorways, and outer ring roads.

Chai added that the prime minister prioritizes public safety for users of Rama 2, resulting in construction work taking place only between 10pm to 5am. In conclusion, he insisted that despite sporadic congestion, the overall traffic flow has improved significantly.

Caption: File photo : Construction on Rama 2 road / Image credits to Thai PBS

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

We travel on this road regularly to Cha Am.  Apart from the uneven road surfaces, construction traffic etc the contractors still insist on closing certain lanes on weekends or during peak traffic to move machinery - this despite promises that work would only happen during night hours and not during peak - from recollection.

• Agree 2

I will eat my hat if "construction projects on Rama 2 Road, spanning nearly 50 years, were being addressed as per the prime minister's directive to complete them all within the next year." are actually finished within the next year!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This statement came in the wake of a disagreement with Rukchanok Srinork, a Move Forward MP for Bangkok, over the state of traffic on the Rama 2 road. The debate unfolded on social media after Chai posted about a recent trip he took on the road, in which he stated that the traffic conditions weren’t as bad as reported.

Obviously not in the rush hour.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

significantly ease the current traffic congestion

Because some of the current traffic will be shifted to the new highways. But the overall amount of traffic has not been reduced with regard to air quality. Air pollution has been consistently higher in the Rama 2 highway arterial areas.

Being resident in the Rama 2 area for ten years, I'd prefer a low-pollution light rail system similar to the new MRT elevated system completed in Bang Khae district along the No. 4 highway to reduce traffic volume. 

Their relationship with truth is such a strange and bizarre thing to witness. This out of control road construction has been going on for how long 15 years already? And they're only to kilometer 37. My understanding is that the first leg of this is supposed to go to Petchaburi, which is another hundred kilometers or more, and this is going to be done in 12 months?

I have a bridge to sell you and I can offer you a really good deal. 

• Like 1