Fully Electric Songthaews to be Trialled in Pattaya

webfact

13 hours ago, webfact said:

This isn't Thailand's first foray into electric public transport, with a similar small-scale test having previously occurred in Chiang Mai.

And the results were?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Are these old diesel pick-ups converted to electric? 

If so I reckon they will be landfill in less than 12 months. 

No, they're the new fully electric Hilux Revo model being developed by Toyota.

As it says in the article below: 

It's understood Toyota will be delivering a dozen electric HiLux utes to the beach town of Pattaya next month to be used in trials for public transport.

Electric Toyota HiLux ute confirmed, production near

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Did anyone tell the Thais EVs need to be charged often when doing long hours of city driving like the baht buses do....Using the aircon drains the charge very fast..

Not sure where your getting your information from. EV's are more efficient in city driving than on highways and AC use doesn't drain the charge "very fast" so no, they won't need to be charged "often".

Also, I don't know if you've ever been in a Songthaew but the passenger section isn't air-conditioned anyway. So only the two-person driver cab (if that) would be using AC. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

They're not converted ICEV's, they're the new fully electric Hilux Revo model.

Where's your proof?

Post your link, the article photo shows an older model. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where's your proof?

plenty of pictures in other 'proper' media instead of these AI assisted word salad purporting to be news article

spacer.png

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Guderian said:

Sounds like a good idea given the clouds of black smoke most of those old diesel trucks belch out. I had a Grab or Bolt taxi a while back which was an MG EV, and the driver was very happy with it. Driving around a crowded city, the limited range wasn't such an issue as it is if you want to travel cross-country. If these EV songtaews will reduce air pollution, then I'm in favour. Of course, you'll still have the same psychos driving them, but sorting that out is another mission altogether, lol.

EVs are fast, very fast. That could pose a problem too. Now Somchai has 300 horsepower under the "bonnet".

Still in favour though. Getting a bit fatigued with breathing diesel fumes.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Sad 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:36 PM, Guderian said:

Sounds like a good idea given the clouds of black smoke most of those old diesel trucks belch out. I had a Grab or Bolt taxi a while back which was an MG EV, and the driver was very happy with it. Driving around a crowded city, the limited range wasn't such an issue as it is if you want to travel cross-country. If these EV songtaews will reduce air pollution, then I'm in favour. Of course, you'll still have the same psychos driving them, but sorting that out is another mission altogether, lol.

Sounds great, although since I live well out of town I don't like having the driver plug in at my home for an hour, and having  to make him a cup of tea.

• Haha 2

On 4/26/2024 at 11:10 PM, webfact said:

“Sustainable Zero-Emission City Prototype Project”

First Electric Songtaew, next English Breakfast without baked beans. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I hope they're as roomy as the current songthaews.    The "Jeeps in the Philippines must have been designed by haters of Kanos (foreigners).

Doubt my older back could take a ride in one of those!  Like a speedboat to Koh Larn!

Edited by jacko45k

On 4/28/2024 at 9:23 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where's your proof?

How about this Reuters article?

Toyota pilots EV pickup trucks in key Thai market

Toyota launched a public transport pilot on Thursday with nine fully electric Hilux Revo pickup trucks in Thailand.

Then there's this report.

Unreleased Toyota Hilux EV becomes a troop-carrying minibus

Last November, Reuters reported that Toyota planned to test a fleet of Hilux BEV songthaews this year in the resort city of Pattaya. At the Bangkok show, the news service followed up with more specifics, saying that Toyota would send a fleet of 12 Hilux BEVs to Pattaya for public transportation trials in April.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1