This heat is brutal and my Electricity bill is also brutal.....

redwood1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i will later, I don't want AC daytime

Yes. I do the same. I admit it is sorta brutal but I don’t believe fighting the heat with ac is efficiently correct for lack of a better phrase. When it starts cooling off later afternoon I have less problem turning it on. Not saying your philosophy is similar. Don’t fight it. Go with the flow I suppose you could say. 

• Agree 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:29 AM, Bday Prang said:

yet still moan about your electric bill perhaps you should consider using one of these, I believe various sizes are available for the thriftier amongs us

fan.jpg.7def3edb58dfa77d86583736acc4f329.jpg

Unfortunately, even the "larger" and "older" models of this system now cost 1500 THB for short time.  Or more.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, Gecko123 said:

@Bday Prang

A way to settle this debate: post a picture of your vegetable garden which according to your accounts is "thriving" in this heat wave. Please include a sheet of paper in the photo with today's date on it so that we can all see when the photo was taken. A close up of the spinach patch and enough background evidence to show that the photo was taken in Thailand would be useful as well. Perhaps wait until tomorrow morning when the garden will surely look better than it does in the late afternoon sun.

We have kept our veggies going in this heat with shade and misting

These 2 videos were posted 3 weeks ago

• Like 1

@Bandersnatch I've been growing veggies in pots in coco coir for several years quite successfully, peppers never seem to do that well though.

This year I grew some Short Karen peppers, they did quite well but died off after the first harvest.  

However, I decided to put one in the ground and it's got HUGE and still going, despite the heat. Everything else seems to have become dormant. The Leaf Mustard is probably doing the best.

You are misting the sides of the pots though, which probably makes a big difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have you got the AC on? My lounge gets hotter and don't mention my bedroom with the West facing wall. I miss a sea breeze. 

AC goes on in the evening, i only want it when sleeping

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 8:57 AM, itsari said:

12000 btu airconditioner will on average use 1kw per hour . 720 hours in the month will equate to 3600 baht . 

not at all, 400w/h if you set it up to max temp (32degree). My bill is very low for 12000btu. I estimated 2 baht/hour

Edited by renegade2000

6 hours ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

Congrats.
Probably a relative new house with excellent insulation properties on roof, ceiling and walls.

Yes....only a year old....fully insulated loft space.

16 hours ago, renegade2000 said:

not at all, 400w/h if you set it up to max temp (32degree). My bill is very low for 12000btu. I estimated 2 baht/hour

Might as well turn it off......

On 4/30/2024 at 7:46 AM, Robert Paulson said:

I realize everyone is free to waste their money as they see fit but among the many dumb things i see people commonly do is turning ac on in a room that’s being blasted with sun. And also just not migrating to other, cooler rooms. You usually don’t have to be confined in a certain room with laptops and whatnot. Pre cooling rooms or a car by rolling windows down and expelling hot air before turning on the ac. Little things matter to me because if we used energy more efficiently it certainly has positive environmental impacts as well. 

I put big solar panels over my bedroom windows. They don't produce much power, but they do block the sunlight and keep the room cooler.