American Expat in Pattaya Gains Appreciation for Giving Out Free Bike Helmets

snoop1130

Young Thai's have told me many times over the years,  "You wear a Helmet, you're Chicken", same as  showing a Red light at the back of your Motorbike at night, "You're Chicken,....." they reckon  they'd  lose face doing either...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Known on TikTok as Savvy Rick Brown, he has started giving away helmets to children seen riding motorcycles without them.

The kids are trading these helmets in for cash, there's a stall giving the kids 20 baht each for these new helmets then selling these helmets at the buffalo market, Theprasitt road. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Jeez.. sometimes you just have to shake your head..

Somebody does something good for the less fortunate and the majority of the responses just show how many of the posters here are bitter and cynical.. as if their comments are worthy of sharing.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Somebody does something good for the less fortunate and the majority of the responses just show how many of the posters here are bitter and cynical.. as if their comments are worthy of sharing.

It's a lot of money, this money could of been spent on better things within the community. 

Just another stupid publicity stunt. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Having lived in Thailand for 18 months, Brown has grown fond of the country. He recognizes that some families may be unable to afford helmets, so he decided to lend a hand.

They gave away helmets in our village, years ago, nobody ever wore them, sorry Mr. Brown while I applaud your efforts, you are wasting your money IMO 

14 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's a lot of money, this money could of been spent on better things within the community. 

Did not take long to prove my point.. Just could not help yourself right?

And check out your user name..  😂

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Nice try by him.  They look decent much better then the cheap plastic or Styrofoam helmets many have.  The problem is they can sell them for a few hundred baht, which is probably more important in their minds then actually wearing them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Did not take long to prove my point.. Just could not help yourself right?

You're the one that couldn't help yourself, your comment was only posted to antagonize. 

I was just pointing out that the money could have been better spent elsewhere. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, bobbin said:

No we are saying it as it is, they won't be wearing them after one week. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He aims to distribute one million helmets with the help of donors from his native country,

Apart from import duty he will also have to pay VAT. But, on the plus side, the Minister of Transport will award him a basket of Birds Nest Essence.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I would love to see how many of these new helmets will still be used in a week or a month.

Somehow I bet most of them will somewhere pick up a lot of dust. 

A-Dirty-Nexx-X.WED2-Purist-Helmet.jpg?re

Picture for reference only. 😉 

I think that shows a profound distain for the people of Thailand

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

We all know what will happen to them, that has been tried many times here in Phuket, 

no it hasn't - what are you talking about???

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Maybe that is just what is needed.

My experience her but also abroad is that most people have no idea how crash helmets work or what they are for - if the public are educated, they will in the end understand.

Looking at the posts on this thread I doubt if anyone has showed any understanding of helmet-wearing.

• Confused 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:31 PM, Screaming said:

If Rick Brown really cared about these children he would encourage them to get off those dangerous bikes and take another form of transportation.

If others really entertained the concept of critical thought they'd be able to identify the socio-economics at play with the prolific motorcycle use in Thailand, and, also, not just the futility, but the level of superiority complex it would take to stop Thai's and start preaching to them about their motorcycle use... 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Nice try by him.  They look decent much better then the cheap plastic or Styrofoam helmets many have.  The problem is they can sell them for a few hundred baht, which is probably more important in their minds then actually wearing them.

Possibly...   but he's still doing an excellent thing for the community within which he lives. 

Authorities could also do a lot better with policing and education. 

I had to remind my brother in law to use his helmet the other day... He has a bike and a car,.... but turned up on his bike, when leaving he got on his bike, started it... and I reminded him to use his helmet, he got off, opened up the saddle and took out his helmet...  he's a smart lad, a Masters Graduate - but wearing a helmet just isn't ingrained in Thai Culture...  so, authorities need to be pushing that a lot harder than they do....  a periodic 'clamp-down' is pathetic - the enforcement needs to be constant, all the time, everywhere, at any time.

14 hours ago, bobbin said:

I knew the second i saw the headline that many of the responses would call him stupid or worse.  What a sad bunch that can't either say nothing or say something positive. If this guy saves one or two kids lives it is something to be praised. 

Will some of the helmets get sold?  yes.  Will some of them not be used? yes  Will some of them maybe save a kid from serious injury?  yes.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What a pathetic comment.....

Posted (edited)

Reading through... it seems some people are stuck with a negative mental condition. They find it absolutely Impossible to see a good side of a situation. 

Most of them will not even dream of doing a good deed like this.

Sad, but true. 

Edited by ravip
  • Agree 1

On 4/30/2024 at 5:43 PM, transam said:

Nice story for a change, well done, that man....:clap2:

True, but we know it will not improve matters. Like my gardener not using the protective eyewear I gave him... well not until he got hit in the eye once.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Ok, so it seems you think that all those people in Thailand who don't wear helmets don't wear helmets because they don't have helmets, correct?

Sorry, no, that is not the case.

Many don't wear helmets because it is bloody hot.

It's nice to feel the wind in your hair while riding with a bike.

It's considered cool by some people to ride without helmet.

And the list goes on.

And with safety riding gear it's similar. People don't use it because it would be very hot. And most people don't buy it because they know they won't wear it because it is so hot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

True, but we know it will not improve matters. Like my gardener not using the protective eyewear I gave him... well not until he got hit in the eye once.

I was watching an old Thai guy arc welding with no arc shield, I knew the bloke, I was trying to tell him about arc-eyes, made no difference, he had always done it that way.

He could hardly see anything, and probably wondered why, but he's dead now...🤗

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

No, he's had his eyes open and not a Thai apologist like yourself.........:coffee1:

On 4/30/2024 at 5:38 PM, snoop1130 said:

He aims to distribute one million helmets with the help of donors from his native country,

I do hope he is not working without a permit.🤔

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, so it seems you think that all those people in Thailand who don't wear helmets don't wear helmets because they don't have helmets, correct?

No. But it does show how limited your comprehension is.

• Confused 1

On 5/1/2024 at 8:08 AM, Gweiloman said:

A new arrival to Thailand, still with rosé tinted glasses on, thinking he can do good.

A fool and his money…

"I just don't understand it.  I gave them a helmet, I explained why they need to wear them, they seemed to understand, but now they aren't wearing them.  When I asked why, they told me I didn't understand Thailand because I am farang and if I didn't like it I should go home."

• Haha 2