Chulalongkorn Tops Thai Universities, Ranks 117th in Asia

webfact

Posted (edited)

Suffice to say that Thailand is not a place where noble prize laureates are made... stick to the dubious honours of

Thailand being the the country with the most prostitutes...

Edited by ezzra
  • Haha 1

I got my PhD from Berkeley but most of my close professors had come from Harvard, so I say I got a Harvard education in northern California.

Chula is interesting because I'm planning to switch to their hospital after some unhappiness with Bumrungrad.

Agree this is not a result to be proud of, but then Thai expectations have always been low. That is why the rich send their kids abroad.

Interesting to see the Communist Chinese getting the highest ranks in Asia and Tsinghua University at 12th globally. Looks like a sign of things to come.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Here is a good source that gives university rankings overall, regionally, and by country. And note that in the top left part of the menu, you can choose alternative ranking systems.

https://www.universityrankings.ch/results?ranking=QS&region=Asia&year=2024&q=Thailand

And to add, it's not that Thai universities are not making large investments in securing better rankings. They are. The comparative problem for them is that other universities are doing the same. And additional universities are entering the "competition." That is why their rankings have remained relatively static. China especially competes heavily in the chase for rankings. And Thailand will never be able to match them.

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, many relay on students' reporting, or on number of research papers published.

WAIT....

Wait one cotton-pickin' MINUTE!

There is something FISHY in the State of Denmark, around here.

I KNOW I typed rely upon.

But, for some reason, the site added relay on.

If THIS is not a blatant indication of AI gumming up the works, then I do not know what might be!

Apparently, though I cannot prove it....

The providers of forum software, maybe such as the one we are now using, seem to have added an AI-governed spelling algorithm to guess intended spellings, as they are being typed!

How ELSE can you explain rely upon being changed to relay on????

This has had me fightin' mad for the past few months, when I first noticed this.

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

I got my PhD from Berkeley but most of my close professors had come from Harvard, so I say I got a Harvard education in northern California.

Chula is interesting because I'm planning to switch to their hospital after some unhappiness with Bumrungrad.

I'm fairly sure that the academic lecturers at Chula do not 'moonlight' at Chula Hospital 🙂

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Singapore and Beijing both in the top 20 band. Not surprised. 

- I've taught / done invited lectures at NUS Singapore, everything planned / done with excellence. Great students.

- I've taught at Beijing university, Executive MBA in English. Everything planned and executed with impressive quality, excellent students, want to learn, they add highly valuable discussion / application in the classroom, in case studies, in exams. Students very keen to learn about the value of leadership behaviors. 

Chinese students:

a. Very respectful, with great respect for learning.

b. They are driven.  They excel in the Natural Sciences at IVY Schools in the US for this reason.

c. Chinese students, especially the more serious ones, are such a pleasure to teach. (Why teach non-Chinese students, for that matter, these days?)

d. Many are brainwashed, but easily recover once outside of the Chinese bubble.

e. Amazing parental support for their children's academic success.

f. One could go on, gushing, for another ten pages, probably.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

Ranked 117th in Asia??? That's nothing to blow your bugle about! Although to be expected! 

I miss-read bugle first.. :whistling:

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

Thais love banging on about chula..

chula this, chula that..

117th in asia? that's hardly earth shattering, is it?

come back when you are cambridge or MIT.

then you can beat your chests with pride!

bob.

Think the big prestigious American Universities are finished now, due to infiltration.  

notwithstanding all the other factors that go into the evaluation, i wonder how the brightest minds in thailand attending this uni dont manage to make it shine more. maybe it has to do with the overall quality of the failed education here?

On 5/3/2024 at 6:59 AM, KhunLA said:

Daughter went to Thammasat, rated #6 (in Thailand) for business/economics, even though accepted at the other 3.   Submitted her application too late for Chula.   Except for 'Songkhla, we actually visited the other 3 campuses, along with a few others, talking with students & alumni, before choosing, and money well spent:

image.png.440271a951d56e753e829ec4e75dfdef.png

Many of the top universities are really only good due to the networking effects.

I think this is probably true for Thailand too Or do the who's who in Thai society study abroad? 

Daughter went to Thammasat, rated #6 (in Thailand) for business/economics, even though accepted at the other 3.   Submitted her application too late for Chula.   Except for 'Songkhla, we actually visited the other 3 campuses, along with a few others, talking with students & alumni, before choosing, and money well spent:

Many of the top universities are really only good due to the networking effects.

I think this is probably true for Thailand too Or do the who's who in Thai society study abroad? 

16 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

notwithstanding all the other factors that go into the evaluation, i wonder how the brightest minds in thailand attending this uni dont manage to make it shine more. maybe it has to do with the overall quality of the failed education here?

The single biggest factor is faculty publishing in high impact journal. That means a Q1 journal where the article gets a lot of cites. Most of these journals are published in English, and outside of medical and some science journals, Thais aren't going to be able to publish very much. As is, most of their publications come from medical faculty.

Have you ever hired a Thai University graduate?

They are pretty much useless direct out of Uni.

I hire the really smart ones as they can be trained and molded...nothing beats mental horsepower, regardless of University...

On 5/3/2024 at 6:52 AM, bob smith said:

Thais love banging on about chula..

chula this, chula that..

117th in asia? that's hardly earth shattering, is it?

come back when you are cambridge or MIT.

then you can beat your chests with pride!

bob.

A bit pathetic. They stepped up already more than 100 in ranking. So there are improvements. 🙏

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Carlotta said:

A bit pathetic. They stepped up already more than 100 in ranking. So there are improvements. 🙏

That's in Asia, Carlotta.

Not the world.

Like I said, it's not earth shattering and definitely not something to be overly proud about!

Bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 2

On 5/5/2024 at 1:00 PM, bob smith said:

That's in Asia, Carlotta.

Not the world.

Like I said, it's not earth shattering and definitely not something to be overly proud about!

Bob.

But Bob, we are in Asia. And for this part of the world it is important. Give the people here more confidence. Embrace them🤗

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Carlotta said:

But Bob, we are in Asia. And for this part of the world it is important. Give the people here more confidence. Embrace them🤗

Confidence/Pride is useless if it is false.

I will give credit where it is due when they actually achieve something worthy of said credit.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 2

Money well spent? You're joking right?

• Sad 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:06 AM, KhunLA said:

Chula being in the top 20-25% worldwide isn't actually a bad position to be in.   Especially if the student apples themselves.   Top Uni is useless if student doesn't really care to apply themselves.

A Thai, studying overseas, isn't the easiest thing to do, financially or socially.  Limited options for most, that's worldwide.

"Thai, studying overseas, isn't the easiest thing to do, financially or socially.  Limited options for most"

Why do you think it's like this Khun LA? Do you think that the western education system is not aware of the appalling standard of Thai education, with incompetent teachers with near to zero knowledge of English and more interested in corrupt brown paper envelopes than actually contributing to their facking country through good teaching? Jesus!

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, ezzra said:

Suffice to say that Thailand is not a place where noble prize laureates are made... stick to the dubious honours of

Thailand being the the country with the most prostitutes...

And soft power! Darts through balloons and associated activities by the female Thais probably account for 20% of GDP. (at the very least)

Edited by MartinBangkok
grammatical

On 5/3/2024 at 1:21 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

The headline says it all. Number one in Thailand is only 117 in Asia. I have no idea why it is so low when a few years ago they announced they had discovered a cure for cancer.

And a Thai Covid-cure. Wasn't it herbs or something? 555555

And don't forget, they are going to send up a spaceship soon. Think a Thai astronaut that is hungry and has to contemplate wheather eating his Isaan crap food, or save the Spaceship  .. God save us

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1