Self insured - what amount?

On 5/11/2024 at 4:20 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Again, if there really were no pre-existing condition then there would not be a basis to deny a claim.

Ix-nay.

have your pre-existing conditions been excluded? if not they will just make them up when you claim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

I'm 80 yo and still going strong, I walk at least 90 minutes daily. I only eat good food prepared at home and I have no sleeping problems. I've told my wife if I ever get a life threatening illness just fill me up with pain killers. Forget about hospitals and fancy priced medical practitioners.

Well I have been  non-self-insured for 20 years in Thailand and -- while no event has been life-threatening -- I would say I am pretty close to break even on annual premiums vs. 3 inpatient claims.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well I have been  non-self-insured for 20 years in Thailand and -- while no event has been life-threatening -- I would say I am pretty close to break even on annual premiums vs. 3 inpatient claims.

Guess that's the thing, for actual serious things I would never trust much on the insurance. But for the more smaller things, that are still big enough to need and be inpatient X days or even a 1-2 weeks, that they do always seem to payout and cover, for reasonable monthly fees, is more than worth paying for rather than paying from savings.

I mean, even they do cover it, I'd still not be too fancy of staying here. I have seen and heard of so many cheating here in hospitals, wrong diagnose, wrong treatments, wrong medicine etc etc. I'd just go back to Europe. If no choice, well the word says it already; no choice; try or die.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 5/12/2024 at 10:16 AM, retarius said:

I find the insurance policies in Thailand don't meet my needs at all, and are generally rip offs. I have a slew of illnesses and insurance winds up covering none of my illnesses, so I self insure. I have a US$ 400K investment off-shore in the event of health emergencies and I have a living will in Thai and English prepared to prevent, if at all possible, all the blatantly useless surgeries that private hospitals perform at the end of life. It spells out I wish to die at home in my own bed. I also have a contract with the lawyer who drafted it to visit the hospital to try to ensure that my wishes are carried out....and he's a bit of a bastard to be honest which is why I picked him. 

In addition between my wife and I we have about US$1 million in assets here in Thailand but I wish to avoid using this for my health costs. This sum for my wife to live on after I die. 

My Thai assets are less but nonetheless up there. I've had my wife and Dr (Thai) sign and acknowledge my DNR Papers/forms. I'm 73 and survived C and quad bypass surgeries. My ETNA insurance covers me from my chin up and my knees down because of the exclusions. I don't want my remaining assets blown away as a result of a week or 2 of ICU fees. It's been a hell of a ride... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:58 PM, Jimjim1 said:

If it costs £300 to £500 per annum it is still very good and cheap for £10,000,000

It's going to cost a hell of a lot more than 300-500 quid for that type of insurance. 

16 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

It's going to cost a hell of a lot more than 300-500 quid for that type of insurance. 

Ok you know more than me and probably most others in here but just to put you in the picture my £10,000,000 travel insurance cover include an age extension ( I am 78 ) and multiple 60 day cover in any year cost me last year £165 and I have no reason to think this year it will be more than £200 even though insurance costs have jumped in the U K