Have people in Thailand gotten less friendly/happy overall, or is it me?

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many decades have you been in Thailand?

Like I said, it's not just Thailand. Nowhere are people happy anymore. The fear machine has been working overtime. If it isn't climate change is going to kill us all if we don't buy an EV, it's too many genders or the council is building too many cycle paths. I'm pretty sure people didn't worry about so many things 60 years ago.

First time I came to Thailand was 1990. Loved permanently 14 years

On 5/4/2024 at 8:31 AM, marin said:

It seems you have little to no interaction with Thai's unless they are serving you. Telling.

All fine on my end with Thai's other than the fact we are all sick of the relentless heat. 

There is a difference between Thais and Thai’s….

• Sad 4

On 5/4/2024 at 9:29 AM, bkk6060 said:

Yes location. I am in Hua hin and people are much friendlier then Pattaya.  Even Bangkok is better then Pattaya.

I always find people friendly in Pattaya... Your ST girl in Pattaya charged you too much last time that you make this statement?

On 5/4/2024 at 9:15 AM, bob smith said:

used to sleep on a wooden floor with no furniture when i first moved here.

Now I am rolling in it.

That is quite an accomplishment... how do you roll in a wooden floor?

44 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

I always find people friendly in Pattaya... Your ST girl in Pattaya charged you too much last time that you make this statement?

People in Pattaya have to be friendly, that is their job!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm friendly with my long time bike mechanic too. Hair salons too are social places which is nice. I like to chat with the older women at the massage parlor. It's out there for sure but not at large scale in public, not in a city like CM at least.

gotta say when im home for the other 6 mo.i stay in a tourist area during winter/low season and love the peace n quiet in a nice waterfront condo...and hate it as soon as the tourists creep back in..even the weekend warriors..i dont blame thais one bit as i feel the same way.....i do notice as well when im doing visa runs..folks are much friendlier...but i noticed also yest as i crept slowly around the old city on my bicycle that i got quite a lot of smiles as i like to test any thais staring at me with a smile

On 5/4/2024 at 10:39 PM, Expat68 said:

Absolutely spot on, where I live it is exactly the same

i just copy thais...they like to joke and watch slapstick shows etc...so i just act like a clown with them and they seem amused

things are tough here for some locals and maybe why community is key....worry less...smile and try and enjoy the ride..sanuk

On 5/4/2024 at 10:44 AM, NorthernRyland said:

not so much in Chiang Mai. Masks on, face down. I guess they say thank you at the end sometimes.

ive worked retail and recently....its soul crushing..7-11 emp do everything..cook your food,,pay bills..fix your sim..stock,,clean,,inventory etc,,,,now mix in ppl from all over coming in there..demanding a beer at 2pm etc

i gotta give a hats off to those folks at 7-11   and i know they get paid sh*t to put up with all the drama...long hrs on feet

On 5/4/2024 at 10:05 AM, Expat68 said:

It is called culture, Americans are brash, Thais reserved 

gotta agree and i was a teacher..most thais are terrified to speak english..i went to AIS yest to gt my phone plan and they all jostled about to find the one willing to speak english to me..she even used her translate app lol..

23 hours ago, andux said:

Cool story but notice that in my post I refer to strangers many times to make it clear, not people you already know. I have the same good experiences with non-strangers.

Basically, the observation is that strangers seem less friendly/happy overall and less likely to be friendly nowadays.

ok

i bike daily and did so yest in this heat....noticed how many strangers smiled at me as i have a tiny folding bike so i look like a russian bear riding it and thais love it....so if i catch them looking i give em a honk of my horn.....worked many times yest with randos....many thais smiles..tourists scowled as usual

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ive worked retail and recently....its soul crushing..7-11 emp do everything..cook your food,,pay bills..fix your sim..stock,,clean,,inventory etc,,,,now mix in ppl from all over coming in there..demanding a beer at 2pm etc

i gotta give a hats off to those folks at 7-11   and i know they get paid sh*t to put up with all the drama...long hrs on feet

I would agree with you completely. Knew a girl in CNX who worked at a 7=11 for a year and she said it was the hardest job she ever had.  But she said it taught her to toughen up and deal with all kinds of people. 

On 5/4/2024 at 8:26 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Depends where probably, i noticed Rayong much friendlier than Pattaya, maybe they are fed up with farang, many unsavoury characters here who tarnish all of us

Scubascuba, everyone knows your talking about B*b Sm*th!!  Be nice, he can't help it!

😂😂😂

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, donmuang37 said:

Scubascuba, everyone knows your talking about B*b Sm*th!!  Be nice, he can't help it!

😂😂😂

Who in their right mind wants to talk about B*b Sm*th!!

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ok

i bike daily and did so yest in this heat....noticed how many strangers smiled at me as i have a tiny folding bike so i look like a russian bear riding it and thais love it....so if i catch them looking i give em a honk of my horn.....worked many times yest with randos....many thais smiles..tourists scowled as usual

What is this word "yest"?

I don't know it, but you use it a lot !!

On 5/4/2024 at 1:49 PM, ignore it said:

Whew!

I thought it was just me because I've grown a beard 🧔

Yes fillets are 869 a four pack 

• Confused 1