Trang Sea Tragedy: Tourist Boat Overturns, One Fatality and Multiple Injuries

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Given the potential bad weather conditions, the boat should have never left the dock as per an order from a responsible boat captain.

Where was it reported that sea conditions were, or were expected to be, so bad that the boat should not have left the dock?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, john donson said:

did she drown? heart attack ? if she had a life vest then you float... no?

You're not seriously try to suggest that no ne wearing a life jacket has ever drowned, or that drowning still isn't a possibility, are you?

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"As investigations continue, the initial reports indicate that vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor to this incident".

Okay it was just bad luck

• Like 1

Long-tailed boats have a stern-mounted  modified vehicle engine and long propeller shaft and have direct steering.

The semi-submerged vessel in the photo appears to be fairly wide beam with a canopy, of the type with an inboard engine and a steering wheel operating a stern rudder through a cable and pulley system. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xonax said:

So how did the steering ropes snap, when they have been inspected on a regular basis?

The inspector couldn't be bothered to really inspect.Easier to just sign his name, confirming that the boat was seaworthy. Or for a little donation look the other way. Life is cheap in Thailand. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Zero maintenance rears it's ugly head again...

"As investigations continue, the initial reports indicate that vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor to this incident".

Yet it was also reported that the boat "lost control due to snapped steering ropes"... and "Equipment failure"... 

So you've chosen to ignore the below quoted issues...  and instead quoted the 'face saving' comment that 'vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor'... 

LL - You've cherry picked your response to argue a comment and chosen to ignore other obvious points of the article that contradict your response. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

lost control due to snapped steering ropes

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident happened when the boat was returning from a sea trip and, due to an equipment failure, the vessel became unstable and capsized. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The boat was new.

"...the boat was new and met service standards..."

https://thethaiger.com/news/south/tourist-boat-capsizes-in-trang-sea-one-dead-and-several-injured

Yet....     snapped steering ropes...  equipment failure....   

How new ?... and who's service standards was it meeting ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet it was also reported that the boat "lost control due to snapped steering ropes"... and "Equipment failure"... 

So you've chosen to ignore the below quoted issues...  and instead quoted the 'face saving' comment that 'vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor'... 

LL - You've cherry picked your response to argue a comment and chosen to ignore other obvious points of the article that contradict your response. 

And you've chosen to ignore..."As investigations continue, the initial reports indicate that vessel maintenance was not a contributing factor to this incident" and instead quote other uncorroborated assertions. 

So you're right and I must be wrong?

RS - You've cherry picked your response to argue a comment and chosen to ignore other obvious points of the article that contradict your response.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ask The Thaiger.

How would they know...  they just regurgitate info from social media and other sources... 

Ask Admin, then, or Khaosod; why do you think that I would have the answer to that?

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Sometimes ... sh!t just happens :coffee1:

Hm,...In my more than 30 winters in Thailand,...I have never seen any inspection or Maintenance of anything, except for a few Thai friends of mine that check there 4x4's thoroughly after every off road trip....  Usually Thais wait until something brakes and they repair it,....or try to,...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, off road pat said:

Hm,...In my more than 30 winters in Thailand,...I have never seen any inspection or Maintenance of anything, except for a few Thai friends of mine that check there 4x4's thoroughly after every off road trip....  Usually Thais wait until something brakes and they repair it,....or try to,...

Really, spend a lot of time down at the docks do you ... :coffee1:

70+ million folks here.   Glad you're keeping an eye on things.

Edited by KhunLA

On 5/6/2024 at 10:42 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Thats this months 'boat tragedy'... 

Yet to occur....   A bus rolls down a ravine....      and a lorry wipes out xxx due to brake failure...   :whistling:

Well...  close enough...