Motorcycle Rider Dies in High-Speed Collision 

webfact

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 10:30 AM, Gottfrid said:

Nope, but anybody who manage to kill or hurt themselves driving in to parked or stationary vehicles will be addressed as such drivers in my book.

He was probably a good driver. How could he avoid a parked SUV while texting at 160 Kmh?

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Some of what you wrote on Monday I agree with. 

Particularly with learned or passed down bad driving habits.  Parents don't always make the best teachers! 

Prior to getting a full unrestricted motorbike licence in NZ I attended a few Ride for Life courses. 

It taught me a lot and highlighted many faults in my level of riding.  As a result I became more safe on the road, aware of more hazards etc etc

That is perhaps one of the many reasons why so many die on the roads here. Lack of education. 

The 5 tenets of road safety are as follows

Enforcement

Engineering

Education

Evaluation

Emergency.

You can't have one without the others.

Education is not just a single test or course...it is a matter of life long learning. Most countries have road safety education campaigns.

A lot of the posters on AN got their licences at a time when road tests for licences were a joke.

What is more important is what you learn afterwards....and in many cases that can be nothing.

What is really needed is not the learning by rote so typical of taking a test, but giving people the tools to learn and develop as they continue to use roads.

Sadly that is rare 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

The problem seem again to originate from the selfishness of people here.

The will stop anywhere, for any useless reason, including picking up a call, with total oblivion of other drivers on the road.

I had one stopped on Sukhumvit right in front of the restaurant car park entrance I wanted to use the other day. Talk about dopey!

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I had one stopped on Sukhumvit right in front of the restaurant car park entrance I wanted to use the other day. Talk about dopey!

I can understand stopping to take a call, but do it safely. 

Unfortunately safely doesn't mean much here.  Wherever they want seems to be their choice... It is however their country (As we are constantly reminded by other posts). 

Education and Enforcement as Kwilco (above) stated are unfortunately lacking big time. 

The only thing moving forward is time... and that's sometimes debatable!